George Fenton film music concert

Omen II

Possible good news for any George Fenton fans in this neck of the woods (i.e. creamy old England)! I have heard that due to the recent cancellation of Dave Brubeck's concert with the LSO on 7th June (get well soon, Dave!), the London Symphony Orchestra will be at a bit of a loose end on that date so they are looking to get George Fenton to do a concert of his film music instead.

:o;):lol:

The Barbican website would seem to confirm this. Verily!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The George Fenton concert has been confirmed for 7th June at London's Barbican Centre! See the LSO website for details. It looks like there will be some great stuff there, with music to include:

Stage Beauty

Dangerous Beauty

Shadowlands

Planet Earth

The Blue Planet

Memphis Belle

Valiant

Mrs Henderson Presents

Land and Freedom

Le Vampire

But where's Telly Addicts in that lineup? Pah! Sort it out Georgie boy.

:)

But where's Telly Addicts in that lineup? Pah! Sort it out Georgie boy.

:joy:

;) Can you imagine? How about Clockwise too!!??

Thanks for posting this, i'll be there! Memphis Belle will be a personal highlight.

I wish I were on the other side of the pond! I would definitely go to that.

Greta - note that you can download the programme notes from most LSO concerts nearer the time from the LSO website; not as good as being there, obviously, but handy for those that cannot get to the Barbican.

Incidentally, the programme looks to have been revised slightly since it was posted yesterday:

Stage Beauty

Dangerous Beauty

Shadowlands

Planet Earth

The Blue Planet

Memphis Belle

Valiant

Mrs Henderson Presents

Land and Freedom

Cry Freedom

The Jewel in the Crown

Ever After

Still no Telly Addicts, though, Tim. ;)

Well if they won't do it, I will!

Anbody else attending LSO's film music concert on April 4th? ;)

Yup! Can't wait! :lol:

I'm dragging a friend down from Manchester - tickets ordered ;)

See you there!

Ditto! Maybe we should arrange a mini-JWfan meet?

Another Fenton I recommend to everybody is Mary Reilly. A beautiful, lyrical piece.

Made from the remains of what was to be his Interview With the Vampire score, I believe.

One of my Fenton favourites is Ever After.

Another Fenton I recommend to everybody is Mary Reilly. A beautiful, lyrical piece.

Made from the remains of what was to be his Interview With the Vampire score, I believe.

One of my Fenton favourites is Ever After.

'Mary Reilly' is indeed a very good score i almost forgot when creating my mp3 archive. 'Memphis Belle' is another favourite, as is 'High Spirits'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quick reminder about this with just over a week to go, it's going to be a terrific evening and tickets are almost gone!

There will also be a pre-concert talk with Fenton and director Stephen Frears, compered by the ever reliable Tommy Pearson @ 6.30pm.

http://lso.co.uk/home/

;) - Memphis Belle 'Final Flight'

Neat! I'll try to make that.

I'll PM my mobile # to those going, be nice to meet up. I probably can't hang around much after though as I've got a fair distance to get back home + work the next day.

Somehow I mistook April with June :lol:

Now that was a stupid post, sorry...

No worries, I mistook April for June once, but in my defence the room was very dark and I had been drinking.

:blink:

Here is a link to the programme for tonight's concert for anyone that is interested.

It was a brilliant concert - I particularly enjoyed Ever After, Beyond the Clouds and High Spirits (in which one of the percussionists played the spoons!). However, I guess the real highlight for lots of people will have been Cry Freedom, with George Fenton himself reprising his vocal performance from the original soundtrack. It was a real treat for me to see a duduk and two bass flutes making an appearance in the suite from Planet Earth too. Fenton introduced most of the pieces and although he seemed a little nervous at first, by the end he was obviously having a whale of a time. What a fine composer he is!

Just got back from this myself - a brilliant performance and I agree that Fenton's enthusiasm really came through.

And the soloist at the start of High Spirits really took me by surprise!

I sort of meant to try and meet up with some of those going but I had some last minute plan changes and couldn't hang around after.

And the soloist at the start of High Spirits really took me by surprise!

Yes Rich, and I thought the two wind soloists were outstanding. Did you notice that the LSO's two flautists and piccolo player gave Andrew Findon (the bloke who played the gorgeous chinese flute solo in Beyond The Clouds) a particuarly enthusiastic round of applause afterwards? It was very well deserved.

This was indeed a great concert and a joy to see Fenton get some recognition for a change. Good to meet Jim Ware at long last too and the pre-concert discussion was interesting.

Still baffled as to why Memphis Belle was dropped, but other highlights more than made up for the omission.

Subscibers to FSM Online can read a full concert report with interviews, videos and pics in the next issue.

:thumbup: