Upcoming Soundtracks

MattyO

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godzilla, HTTYD 2, Maleficent, A Million Ways to Die in the West

Of those, I've heard HTTYD 2 and Maleficent, and wasn't especially impressed by either.  Forgot about A Million Ways to Die in the West... heard pretty good things about it.

In no particular order... 

Godzilla, HTTYD 2, Maleficent, A Million Ways to Die in the West

Giacchino's ape thing is very solid also. And TASM2 has a decent amount of good material if you edit the album wisely.

Under The Skin is excellent but might not be your kind of thing.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is one of the most frustrating listens I've had in quite some time.  On one hand, the first three minutes or so of "Harry's Suite" are some of the best Zimmer's put out in quite a while, and there are some really neat ideas in "The Electro Suite," but, damn, the dubstep stuff in there is horrendous and I can't hear the Pharrell Williams chant without laughing my ass off at how stupid it is.  As I said in the Zimmer appreciation thread, "Oh, what I would give for a version of "The Electro Suite" with that damn ludicrous chant replaced by strings and the dubstep-ish electronica replaced by overdriven guitars."

I just looked up the samples from Under the Skin, and I'm pretty intrigued.

If you like "quirky", then look no further than "Grand Budapest Hotel". Both "Her" and "The Double" are good (the "T.V." music is pure cheddar, but enjoyable).

Ps Pil is right: "UTS" is great.

Haven't heard Grand Budapest Hotel; didn't like Her.

Also, to my original list, I'll add The Monuments Men.  After your suggestions, I still eagerly await BOFA, Inherent Vice, and Rosewater (which I sent an email to Jon Stewart about offering to write for after I read Maziar Bahari's book - never heard back, although I didn't expect to).

Yeah it is a decent score one of better works of Brian Tyler.

The Giver is good but not the most striking. It's about subtlety here. Kind of like Snowpiercer. You wouldn't exactly recommend them to common meat and potatoes types like Stefan or Quint. No march in there. ;)

Karol

Any 2014 scores people can recommend? Into the Storm and Grand Piano are the only releases so far this year I've enjoyed.

Grand Piano was last year. Great score!

For 2014, check out Monuments Men, Grand Budapest Hotel, Cosmos, Godzilla, Maleficent, A Million Ways To Die In The West, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Planes Fire and Rescue, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. All are on Spotify.

• 2 weeks later...

The Giver is good but not the most striking. It's about subtlety here. Kind of like Snowpiercer. You wouldn't exactly recommend them to common meat and potatoes types like Stefan or Quint. No march in there. ;)

I found leaning more on the generic side. Pleasant enough, but not all that interesting. Seems like the kind of score you'd expect for the kind of film this looks like.

They invented something as appalling as sausage cassarole with mash. How can it possibly be an honour? Marmite seems like a good idea in comparison. ;)

Karol

Well you can't very well insist that crocodile is English if your own is a little rusty.

Jason has made typos I've let slide, but that's the second devine I noticed recently you made.

No, if you have nothing else going for you in life, you can tell the ladies that you know the proper spelling and pronunciation of the element with atomic number 13. That earns a pass over size, income, and STD history and gets you straight into bed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Samples of Johann Johannsson's score for The Theory of Everything, a Stephen Hawking biopic.

Sounds lovely. I really liked his score for Prisoners as well.

I'm not entirely sold on The Theory of Everything, probably because I'm still a little peeved Mansell got replaced, but Prisoners and McCanick (another Johannsson score) are great.

• 4 weeks later...