Next Intrada Special Collection - Monsignor?

BigMacGyver

Doug Fake gave us some clues for Intrada's next Special Collection release:

Our next Special Collection release arrives on October 10. If you're not worn down from an onslaught of choices on the market lately, tune in for our official announcement on Monday, October 9, around 5:15 PM our time.

We've paired two scores on one CD. World premieres, of course. One's by one of the most popular and represented Academy Award winning composers of all time. (Sorry, no Goldsmith for a change!) The other's by a highly talented but far less represented composer. 1200 copies.

"World premiere" release by "one of the most popular and represented academy award winning composers of all time". Certainly fits Williams and as far as I know, the only releaseable williams-score for Intrada that is still left and without a proper release would be Monsignor. What do you guys think?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But... Monsignor wouldn't be a world premiere release, would it? Unless they mean just on CD....

It sounds like something good, I suspect I'll want it.

One's by one of the most popular and represented Academy Award winning composers of all time.

That's probably Williams.

The other's by a highly talented but far less represented composer.

Basil Poledouris? Michael Small? I'm assuming it will be another Silver Age composer...

1200 copies.

Shit. There goes another night's sleep. :)

But... Monsignor wouldn't be a world premiere release, would it? Unless they mean just on CD....

Hm, maybe Spacecamp is another possibility? But there is an LP of this one as well. There is even an LP of Cinderella Liberty. Maybe it is Images? There was only a promo LP if I remember correctly.

Hm, maybe Spacecamp is another possibility? But there is an LP of this one as well. There is even an LP of Cinderella Liberty. Maybe it is Images? There was only a promo LP if I remember correctly.

Space Camp has been released on CD by RCA Japan, on a limited 1000 copies release.

Of those the only one which haven't had a comercial release was Images.

Edit: while Monsignor seems to be the most likelly candidate -- I've heard that a master is available and only waiting to be released -- it could be an early work, if we want to take the "premiere" word literaly.

Oooooooooooooooooh! Family Plottttt!!!!! :)  :joy:

"I don't know what's come over me tonight. I'm tingling all over."

If Williams, it can be either "Sugarland Express" or "Family Plot".

What about Images?

If Williams, it can be either "Sugarland Express" or "Family Plot".

What about Images?

Oh, true, "Images" is another possibility.

Sorry, Stefan, you can't buy so many CDs anymore, it's limited to a certain amount of copies by person now.

Family Plot would be the best case scenario

Sugarland Express would be the least interesting option.I have the boot and I can't say there's anything on there I like

Images is mostly unlistenable

could also be Black Sunday

What if it's Alfred Newman?

Alfred Newman is not popular.

k.m.

could also be Black Sunday

K.m.

I don't think so. That's a long score, and this new Intrada CD shares the disc space with another soundtrack. It has to be a relatively short score if it is a Williams score at all.

It cant be Sugarland Express, simply because Doug Fake stated in the intrada forum that Williams himself does not want that score to be released. Black Sunday is Paramount and out of the game. Family Plot is Universal and it is still uncertain if Intrada has any access to that Studio's music catalogue beyond the special arrangement that was developed for the Amazing Stories anthology release.

Could be just another 60's comedy score Williams did.

1969 - Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

1966 - The Plainsman

1966 - Penelope

1966 - How to Steal a Million

1965 - The Katherine Reed Story

1965 - None But the Brave

1964 - The Killers

1963 - Gidget Goes to Rome

1962 - Bachelor Flat

1962 - Stark Fear

1961 - The Secret Ways

1960 - Because They're Young

1960 - I Passed for White

1959 - Daddy-O

:? Just to name a few

Could be just another 60's comedy score Williams did.

1969 - Daddy's Gone A-Hunting

1966 - The Plainsman

1966 - Penelope

1966 - How to Steal a Million

1965 - The Katherine Reed Story

1965 - None But the Brave

1964 - The Killers

1963 - Gidget Goes to Rome

1962 - Bachelor Flat

1962 - Stark Fear

1961 - The Secret Ways

1960 - Because They're Young

1960 - I Passed for White

1959 - Daddy-O

:? Just to name a few

Both Katherine Reed Story and Stark fear are episodes from tv series.

Well, after taking everything into account I am pretty sure now that this is going to be Images. It would also make sense to pair this rather short score with a work from a more unknown composer and make it a limited edition single disc release of 1200 copies, although I assume this one will sell as fast as Inchon did.

Only a little more than 10 days until we will find out.

I think Family Plot is about 45 minutes long.

K.M.

Yes, and The Sugarland Express bootleg is 40 (but I don't know if that's the complete score), and the Images tracks on the bootleg amount to less than 40 mins... but again, I don't know if that's complete.

It could be any of those, it could be any unreleased John Barry/Mancini score (as the other Mark said)... I don't know! But it had better be something good.

With Barry, it could be:

Walkabout

Robin & Marian

Raise the Titanic

With Mancini or A. Newman it could be just about anything - they've both got many possible unreleased scores.

Yes, and The Sugarland Express bootleg is 40 (but I don't know if that's the complete score), and the Images tracks on the bootleg amount to less than 40 mins... but again, I don't know if that's complete.

It could be any of those,

It can't be Sugarland Express, because Williams does not want that one out. He feels that the re-recording of the theme is all that folks need. That's at least what Doug Fake said, so we should not expect Sugarland Express to come out anytime soon.

This is fake's original statement:

"Believe this or not, Williams has specifically asked Universal not to issue this. He really doesn't feel the whole score is listenable though we've certainly told him we think it is. He feels the theme that he recorded is enough to satisfy. In any case, Universal wants to respect his desires for some strange reason. Gads. You'd think this Williams guy is somebody important... "

I'm leaning more towards it being either a Mancini or a Barry, or else some Golden Age stuff.

But there is still "most popular composer (...) of all time" and that pretty much only fits John Williams. At least I am not aware of a composer who is more commonly known and popular than him.

Besides, Doug Fake said there aren't any Golden Age titles on their schedule for now because their last few golden age releases sold very slow and he feels that people want more of the recent stuff.

Sorry, but I can't imagine a new Williams limited to only 1200.

I know that it happened before, but in this case... I just can't imagine.

I can, if the title is an obscure one like Images. Doug Fake said that Intrada estamines the amount of copies mainly by looking at the popularity of the title. Saturn 3 was according to him a most requested one and that "only" received 2500 copies. Bandolero and Inchon on the other hand, were Goldsmith-releases and both had less than 2000 copies pressed mainly because the titles were not exactly popular or requested. Now, if there is a release of Images which most people except hardcore williams fans probably never heard of before, a limitation of 1200 units would make sense.

It would be awsome if it would be a Williams release, but I will wait until I see it before I go to deep in this "it will be a Williams release for a 100%" thing (again).

Here goes................ how can I rationalize buying this cd off of eBay for %80 of it's original value to my wife after the "Inchon" release.

Why can't these splurges happen throughout the year instead of being spread out.

<JackBauer> DAMNIT </JackBauer>

Doug gave away another clue which pretty much cancels out John Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Alfred Newman and every composer who died prior to the 70's:

Think outside of the box, or something like that. In other words, there are several composers with Oscars and literally dozens of CDs that aren't named Williams, Goldsmith or Horner. Alfred Newman would be a good guess were it not for the fact he was dead when this one was scored. Whoooops! Another clue.

Doug gave away another clue which pretty much cancels out John Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Alfred Newman and every composer who died prior to the 70's:
Think outside of the box, or something like that. In other words, there are several composers with Oscars and literally dozens of CDs that aren't named Williams, Goldsmith or Horner. Alfred Newman would be a good guess were it not for the fact he was dead when this one was scored. Whoooops! Another clue.

It's sounding more and more like John Barry. He's a well-known composer, well represented on CD, he's five-time Oscar winner, and Walkabout is from 1971, one year after Alfred Newman died, and the original tracks are also previously unreleased, unless you count bootlegs or re-recordings. That gets my guess, and I for one would be delighted if it was.