What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Transformers 2

Well I survived, but I'm not sure my brain did. This thing feels as long as every minute of its insane 2 1/2 hour runtime, despite the endless amount of action sequences. As much as could be cut from the whole movie, it's the last 20 minutes or so that really drag arse. And talk about anti-climatic endings.

I will say that once I again I enjoyed Shia Lebeouf's performance. There are a few of scenes where he's actually allowed to act rather than just run around explosions and is very compelling, especially the scene in the dorm room after he's filled it with all the Cybertron symbols. He really is a very talented young actor and I don't understand the hate some people have for him.

There are times when it feels like there's a good story and movie just trying to break out. If they hadn't been shackled by the Michael Bay style I think Orci and Kurtzman could have gotten something really good out of this.

Oh, and the score's crap too.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transformers 2

Well I survived, but I'm not sure my brain did. This thing feels as long as every minute of its insane 2 1/2 hour runtime, despite the endless amount of action sequences. As much as could be cut from the whole movie, it's the last 20 minutes or so that really drag arse. And talk about anti-climatic endings.

I will say that once I again I enjoyed Shia Lebeouf's performance. There are a few of scenes where he's actually allowed to act rather than just run around explosions and is very compelling, especially the scene in the dorm room after he's filled it with all the Cybertron symbols. He really is a very talented young actor and I don't understand the hate some people have for him.

There are times when it feels like there's a good story and movie just trying to break out. If they hadn't been shackled by the Michael Bay style I think Orci and Kurtzman could have gotten something really good out of this.

Interesting. So it may actually be worth checking out...on DVD?

Sleeping Beauty

Wow. It's been years since I watched this film, and I had never seen it in the original aspect ratio. Last night, my sister picked up the latest DVD edition, and we watched it today. I knew I liked the visual style, but...wow. This is a glorious film. Simply, absolutely stunning. I can't really say much to describe it. It's just flat out one of the absolute very best examples of animation I've ever seen, and probably one of the best animated films I've seen. The sound mix is also incredible--the recording of the orchestra is incredibly clear and vibrant. Stellar. This is a great, great Disney classic that anyone who's into film should see in the original widescreen. 5/5

An American Werewolf in London

Watched this partly because of the Thriller connection.

It's not bad, but dated. A definate 80's feel. The sets are sparse, it feels hollow, but the effect of the first transformation is pretty amazing.

2.5 from 4.

Sure, I mostly found it to be long and dull and I don't know, lifeless I guess. I really hated the camera work with the close-ups and the shaky camera.

On a whole different topic "American Werewolf in London" is one of the movies that scared me the most when I was a child.

THE IRON GIANT

As much as I love Brad Bird's Pixar movies, as well as his stellar work on The Simpsons, I still think this is the greatest work he's ever done. It's very E.T., right down to the absolutely tear-wringing climax (which doesn't feel forced at all), but it feels like a spiritual kin to that movie, as opposed to a rip-off. Not to mention that it's based on a story written in the 60s. Kamen's score is also incredible. I feel if WB had actually pushed this, it would be regarded as one of the great animated classics in the mainstream.

Sure, I mostly found it to be long and dull and I don't know, lifeless I guess. I really hated the camera work with the close-ups and the shaky camera.

It did feel a little long, but certainly not lifeless. I will agree that the camerawork and cinematography weren't as good as it could/should have been. The handheld shots didn't bother me though.

THE IRON GIANT

Very good and very underrated.

Very good and very underrated.

I agree, it is very good. If Rotten Tomatoes.com is any indicator, however, it would seem that "underrated" is not the most apt term. I was personally thinking of "under-looked".

Like I said before, I'm really excited to see Moon. Definitely my kind of movie.

No, it's not. You are not the target audience.

Perhaps lifeless is the wrong term, but I didn't care much for the characters, it was just bank robbery after bank robbery, jail escape after jail escape not much character development other than making Dillinger seem like a loyal friend and some sort of Robin Hood. I also felt there were too many characters, to the point where it becomes hard to keep track of all of them.

Perhaps lifeless is the wrong term, but I didn't care much for the characters, it was just bank robbery after bank robbery, jail escape after jail escape not much character development other than making Dillinger seem like a loyal friend and some sort of Robin Hood. I also felt there were too many characters, to the point where it becomes hard to keep track of all of them.

That's true. I got confused during the woodland shootout, didn't know who was chasing who until the end.

I agree that The Iron Giant deserves/deserved a lot more attention than it gets/got. Really a solid animated film. I want to see it now...it's been some time since I last watched it.

I never said I was the target audience. I said it is my kind of movie.

I know what you said. But I never hear you praise the movies Moon is inspired on (the film homages the sci-fi movies of the lates '60s and early '70s) and so that's why I'm saying it's not your kind of movie. Really, it's my kind of movie! Your kind of movie isn't due until the new Michael Bay or Tony Scott comes out. Everybody knows that your kind of movie is the movie with a high dose of machoism. :P

Alex

You don't know me, so didn't even begin to pretend you do and tell me what I like.

I know your taste in movies, don't I? Or are you saying that what you write on these pages isn't presentative for the real you?

I love how you can criticize him for allegedly having different tastes and for sharing an interest with you, all in one fell swoop, Alex. Most impressive! :P

If he said, "Strange, Moon doesn't seem like my kind of movie and yet I feel compelled to see it", I wouldn't have a problem with it. Like I said, I never heard him praise the movies Moon deliberately is emulating. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I'm just surprised, that's all. Imagine if I said, "Damn, I can't wait to see the new Potter movie", wouldn't you find it a little awkward?

An American Werewolf in London

Watched this partly because of the Thriller connection.

It's not bad, but dated. A definate 80's feel. The sets are sparse, it feels hollow, but the effect of the first transformation is pretty amazing.

2.5 from 4.

I'm not sure I understand. Dated and hollow how? The sets are sparse? What exactly does that mean?

Couldn't really sleep until early this morning but I decided to watch the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, since it's been a while since I've seen it. I forgotten how fun of a movie it is.

I agree that The Iron Giant deserves/deserved a lot more attention than it gets/got. Really a solid animated film. I want to see it now...it's been some time since I last watched it.

I must also mention it has a wonderful score by Michael Kamen

That it does...I don't have the OST or anything - in fact, I don't even know if they released a soundtrack! - but I do clearly remember the main theme in the context of the film.

Transformers 2

Interesting. So it may actually be worth checking out...on DVD?

A sound approach, I would say. But let a friend pay for it. I did.

I don't think I've hated a movie as much as I have Transformers 2 in quite some time. I'm fine with dumb fun, without that concept we wouldn't have classics like Star Wars and Indiana Jones. The problem is the film doubles the dose of dumb and leaves out all the fun.

Star Wars and Indiana Jones are not dumb fun!

Cock!

I said the concept of dumb fun. Both Star Wars and Indy are in part based on old B-movie serial adventures like Flash Gordon, which certainly did fit the description of dumb fun.

Hmm...Alex vs. Koray/Datameister and Steef vs. John--all at the same time?!

:P

Ooh. I do know a friend that works at a theater...

Ooh. I do know a friend that works at a theater...

How is seeing Transformers for free appealing? I could lie down in the middle of the freeway and wait to be flattened by a gasoline tanker and it wouldn't cost me a cent, but that doesn't mean I'd want to do it!

The Science of Sleep (2006). I kept on waiting to be engaged...to no avail. There's something undeniably charming about Gondry's work, but he desperately needs a screenwriter like Kaufman to provide some form.

Sunshine Cleaning

I was able to attend an early screening with the director present, since it hasn't been released in New Zealand yet (and the director's a kiwi). Nice dramedy that I really enjoyed because it had an interesting premise (two sisters start a biohazard removal/crime scene clean-up service) and I like Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. It's been oddly compared to Little Miss Sunshine since they share the same producers and Alan Arkin, but they're very different and even so, I liked this movie more. It looked great, there was fine acting, even from Steve Zahn, and the script had a nice structure and good pacing.

The World Isn't Enough: Kinda didn't like it.

Moonraker: Kinda liked it for the truly amazing sets, pretty good FX, some good photography, the humor and the nod to Close Encounters.

Alex

Moonraker: Kinda liked it for the truly amazing sets, pretty good FX, some good photography, the humor and the nod to Close Encounters.

Alex

... and a very good score!

... and a very good score!

Yes, those John Barry strings give it something classy and melancholic at the same time. I also noticed that the film isn't overscored. A lot of scenes don't have music at all.

Alex