None But The Brave (1965)

Erik Woods

I ordered mine as soon as I saw Erik's post and was very suprised to have my package 4 days later.

I've been waiting for someone to hopefully release this score for awhile. I've seen the movie and had forgotten at the time Williams had done the music until his name appeared in the opening credits.

When I caught it on TCM years ago I though the main title music sounded like Williams and then his name appeared. :lol:

I'll probably order tomorrow once I get my payday bills sorted out. I'm probably going to head to the store and pick up Land of the Lost tomorrow too.

You sure it's gonna be in the store? :lol:

I'm waiting for the Varese CD Club and then I'll add Lost Season 4 and Land Of The Lost to my order.

Listening to it now. What a striking opening! I'm loving it. The main title is sweeping and majestic, great. Not sure why people aren't bowled over by this score. I've a feeling this will be on my playlist for a while. Williams in fine dramatic/action mode. If only The Patriot had been half as good as this.

It IS very similar to the Lost in Space music but Lost in Space is still better. Anyways I'm glad this exists because it's the only real example of Williams in full dramatic mode for a feature film in the 60's . The rest of his scores are jazzy or comedy.

Love the trailer music and the last cue of the score

K.M.

Just listened to it, and it was pretty boring aside from the nice main theme. The film looks kinda interesting, though, from the liner notes.

So it seems that my decision to get Images was a wise one....

Koray and Indy 4 aren't the best advisers to JW music.

Having said that, If your JW collection is still small ,there's plenty more to buy before JFK,Images and None of the Brave

If you like fantasy-adventure brassy, soaring scores there's probably no better advice than KM's.

I know, but it is your main thing, no?? And you do have good taste in those, your two favorites are Empire and TOD if I remember correctly. For example your favorite Horner must be Krull I think. All in all great scores.

Koray and Indy 4 aren't the best advisers to JW music.

Having said that, If your JW collection is still small ,there's plenty more to buy before JFK,Images and None of the Brave

I only have a few of of his 1990's scores, I really need to change that.

I know, but it is your main thing, no?? And you do have good taste in those, your two favorites are Empire and TOD if I remember correctly. For example your favorite Horner must be Krull I think. All in all great scores.

You may be thinking of someone else. I'm not the biggest fan of JW's popular franchises, although Empire Of The Sun is one of my favorites. As for Horner, I don't have much by him; my favorites are probably An American Tale: Fievel Goes West and Aliens.

But when it comes to giving advice, I wouldn't necessarily recommend my personal favorites.

Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull, right?

I believe by the nature of this genre it produces the greatest scores ,along with historical epics Not that other genre don't produce good scores ,but it's hard to imagine a mystery/thriller drama type movie producing a score we will list in our all time favourites

Is "The Pelican Brief" in anyone's top 10?

Comedies generally have the lamest scores as standalone c.d. experiences

yes,that wan't my point.

Name me one political thriller score that's better than Empire Strikes Back, Krull or Star Trek The Motion Picture

It' a shame the genre has been taken over by RCP like scores (PotC,Batman,Narnia...)

As far as I know, nobody recommended or didn't recommend JFK...
No you should get JFK as well.

Well, you lose one, you rig one.

Yeah, I was wondering what Mark was referring to... :lol:

His scores usually contains some fabulous highlights, but his approach for the underscore is much too repetitive for my tastes.

yeah there's not near the scores I named

In your little fantasy world perhaps, but in the larger picture involving most film score fans you're greatly mistaken.

• 7 years later...

Listening to this now. I think the film is one of the best Williams worked on in the 60s, and a rare forray into more "serious" territory. The score takes some time getting used to, but if you've heard Williams' work in television and crime dramas, with all these chromatic leaps and loads of dissonance, it's not that challenging. My favourite part is unquestionably the brief "religious Rozsa sound-alike" bit about one minute into the first track. Gets me every time

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...