John Williams To Possibly Compose Deathly Hallows Films

scallenger

It strikes me as a particularly medieval waltz, especially with its flattened 2nd -- although I am aware that this may not have been intentional, due to its Tchaiky magicalness, although the lineage undoubtedly originates in medieval music -- but the point is, apart from the sackbuts of Hagrid the Professor, it's about as medieval as anything in Prisoner of Azkaban.

Considering its chromatic nature and 12-tone phrases, Hedwig's Theme is far more modern than it sounds. The celesta is not a medieval instrument either, it was developed in the 19th century. I see what you're saying though; there is a lot of medieval influences and colours in the first two films, but the point is that they're just flavours in those scores with the more Tchaikovsky-Christmassy feel being the main focus. In PoA the renaissance writing and instrumentation is the dominant presence.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Hedwig's Theme, does anyone else feel that Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme in PoA) sounds a LOT better than when it's played in PS?

I am only speaking about that part of the piece, of course.

Lumos! sounds more magical, more buoyant, and alive, somehow. Hedwig's Theme in PS (or Prologue, I guess) kinda pales in comparison.

I wonder why that is. I don't think it's especially orchestrated differently, I think it's just performed better. What do you guys thing?

In PoA the renaissance writing and instrumentation is the dominant presence.

I think that's an exaggeration.

Only Double Trouble and the beginning of Hagrid the Professor sound truly like they're from the "renaissance period."

Not only that, but Hedwig's Theme isn't even a waltz. It's in 3/8 time, not 3/4.

Yes. Hedwig's Theme is NOT a waltz!

Speaking of Hedwig's Theme, does anyone else feel that Lumos! (Hedwig's Theme in PoA) sounds a LOT better than when it's played in PS?

Lumos! sounds more magical, more buoyant, and alive, somehow. Hedwig's Theme in PS (or Prologue, I guess) kinda pales in comparison.

I wonder why that is. I don't think it's especially orchestrated differently, I think it's just performed better. What do you guys thing?

It's performed with a real celesta rather than a synthesized celesta as in Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets. However, all other uses of the celesta in Prisoner of Azkaban are also synthesized, I believe, making "Lumos!" a bit at odds with the score's musical palette. It's still good. Somebody theorized that it's actually an unused take from Philosopher's Stone with a short harp coda added on. Maybe Williams recorded Hedwig's theme with the real celesta, didn't like the sound of it and opted for a synthesizer instead.

It's performed with a real celesta rather than a synthesized celesta as in Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets. However, all other uses of the celesta in Prisoner of Azkaban are also synthesized, I believe, making "Lumos!" a bit at odds with the score's musical palette. It's still good. Somebody theorized that it's actually an unused take from Philosopher's Stone with a short harp coda added on. Maybe Williams recorded Hedwig's theme with the real celesta, didn't like the sound of it and opted for a synthesizer instead.

So you're saying Lumos! was played with a real celestra?

Huh, I would have thought it's the other way round: PS and CoA used real celestras, and PoA used a synth to create that slightly "otherworldly" sound. But I'm not sure...

Nope, the celesta in the first film is the synthesized one. It has a smoother, softer sound. Maybe Williams felt the real celesta was too "pingy" for his purposes (my description, not his, of course).

Nope, the celesta in the first film is the synthesized one. It has a smoother, softer sound. Maybe Williams felt the real celesta was too "pingy" for his purposes (my description, not his, of course).

But he must have changed his mind, since he used the real celestra in PoA...

Anyway, I prefer the PoA version.

I prefer the PoA version too.

And I wish they'd tell us who's gonna score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. My nerves can't take it any more. :)

And I wish they'd tell us who's gonna score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. My nerves can't take it any more. :P

:)

I'm not that far gone... yet.

I don't know about James Horner.. I only own two of his soundtracks; Troy and Titanic.

Please don't get mad at me, Hitch. D:

I don't know about James Horner.. I only own two of his soundtracks; Troy and Titanic.

That's two more than most members here...

Not really. A lot of people here like Horner.

Really? :)

So how many Horner albums do you have, Koray?

BREAKING NEWS

James Horner to score the last Harry Potter movie

I've always thought Voldemort needed an ol'good danger motif.

I bet Horner will make good use of the shakuhachi in the final scenes... :)

BREAKING NEWS

I've always thought Voldemort needed an ol'good danger motif.

I bet Horner will make good use of the shakuhachi in the final scenes... :)

Don't forget Braveheart's love theme for some heartwrenching scenes. :P

- Chris, who really likes some of Horner's scores.

Really?

The problem is, both aren't good.

Really?

Titanic IS good... for James Horner, that is.

I would say his best work. Or at least AMONG his top 3.

I find your lack of faith....disturbing

Not really. Somehow, I really look forward to Avatar. If you call it lack of faith, then I don't know what this is.

I would say his best work. Or at least AMONG his top 3.

Actually, Titanic isn't good. Or not good enough. Particualarly for JH. Still, I think it has some really great cues.

Actually, Titanic isn't good. Or not good enough. Particualarly for JH. Still, I think it has some really great cues.

Don't you realize that you contradict yourself with every new sentence you write...?

Titanic IS good.

Don't you realize that you contradict yourself with every new sentence you write...?

Titanic IS good.

Yes, I don't.

Really?

They're okay I guess. Not very special, but I like listening to them every once in a while.

I fail to see what is so implausible. However, I believe he would yield a different answer were you to ask, "How many James Horner albums do you legally own?"

Ah you already know me so well! Yeah, I only own about 5 Horner scores, but I do like him.

Titanic IS good.

Yes, I don't.

No, you do! :P

I fail to see what is so implausible. However, I believe he would yield a different answer were you to ask, "How many James Horner albums do you legally own?"

Ah you already know me so well! Yeah, I only own about 5 Horner scores, but I do like him.

Bwaaahahahah. :)

Last time I checked I had 6 or so.

Titanic IS good.

Yes, I don't.

;)

indy4 - who owns 6 Horner scores

It has some good moments in the second half. But I watched the movie again a few months ago and was shocked how seriously not good much of the Enya-esque stuff was (and I rather enjoy the Enya original).

Khan is a very good Horner score. Krull is nice, Brainstorm is damn cool, Aliens is too, Casper and Mask of Zorro are enjoyable. I'd say they're all much better than Titanic, and there are at least a few more.

His best, in my opinion, is still Sneakers.

I have over 40 Horner scores but I stopped buying stuff he composed after 1989 for the most part.

Up until 1989 he was a damn good composer and thankfully we are finally seeing his unreleased scores from that era see the light of day.

That being said, we are 20 years too late for a Horner HP score, although I think the main titles from Something Wicked This Way Comes might give you an idea of what a Horner HP score might have sounded like.

It is a solid score. Not really all that memorable, but good. The Flight Of The Griffin track was nice and would be not out of place in the Harry Potter series.

Karol

I think WoK is Horner's best, followed very very closely by Titanic. Apollo 13, Casper, Field of Dreams, and Bicentennial Man are all quite good.

I am pleased that this disgusting Horner digression will neatly fit onto Page 15, a page in this forum I will never read again. So long, Page 15!

BREAKING NEWS

I'd be cool with that!

I would be too, if it was 20 years ago.

I'm glad your here to tell us these things.

You're glad I'm here to post my opinion? If that was some sort of pointless attempt at sarcasm, it failed... in my opinion.

We're still on page 15.

I'm not stupid; I was waiting for that. That once it moves onto page 16 being a precondition was implied.

No Horner talk allowed on page 16

We can mention Bruce Broughton though.

DH part I is due next November for a release I believe so I would imagine we'll find out shortly before or after the Christmas holidays who will be scoring this film.