Official Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince thread

MSM

No, it makes you think that, but I doubt it makes most people think that, afterall, most of us knew what was coming.

I knew what was coming, doesn't mean I'm going to assume it's a genuine relationship.

I did think the necklace scene was very well done.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He went straight from asking out the waitress to being "in love" with Ginny.

I'm not sure why you put "in love" in quotes. Those words where never spoken in the film

He went straight from asking out the waitress to being "in love" with Ginny.

I'm not sure why you put "in love" in quotes. Those words where never spoken in the film

Have you read DH?

They get married in the end. I'd like to think they are in love.

But you weren't talking about the books or future movies. You were talking about Movie6

Yeah, but in book 6 Rowling portrays the relationship as a genuine one, which makes the events in DH seem much more realistic. The film failed to do so.

I saw it today . It was a looooong movie that sort of creeped forward at a turtles pace then all the important stuff was tossed at us in the last 30 minutes with a lot of missing scenes...WTF?

bullshit, it was clear from the first book, and even moreso in the 2nd. It was never an afterthought. Its even more clear that Hermione belongs to Ron the way Mrs Weasley reacted to Rita Skeeter's statement about Harry and Hermione.

And whats with your idiotic ramblings about purists?

Molly reacted, so what? Hermione kisses Harry on the cheek at the end of GOF, alert Ron's mother! In all seven novels, she sticks by him while everyone else is against him, and don't get me started on OOTP, that's a Harry/Hermione goldmine, which leads a reader to wonder "I wonder what happens next between this pair?" then come Book 6 and no pay-off, what a shame. It matters not what Rowling's grand plan was, the fact is, throughout much of the middle books, and even many parts of the later books (this is only exacerbated by the strong chemistry between the pair in the films), Harry and Hermione simply share something deeper than any other character pairing, and yet it carries such a stigma like it's a forbidden concept.

Well you seem like a purist, Joey. All one has to do is walk into a random forum, declare yourself a Harry/Hermione shipper, and then switch on your bug zapper because if you say anything that contradicts canon or if you present an alternate idea on this one particular aspect of the novels, you're gonna get stung badly.

You're f'ing insane drax, quick slamming all that funnel web venom.

I 100% agree with King Mark.

This makes the third time ever I believe. We've made a lot of progress this year. Two new agreements in the span on 7 months! WOW!

I saw it today . It was a looooong movie that sort of creeped forward at a turtles pace then all the important stuff was tossed at us in the last 30 minutes with a lot of missing scenes...WTF?
Add in a crap score and that was pretty much my reaction as well.

I agree, gentlemen. Superman Returns moved more quickly.

Seriously, I just don't buy these films. They take themselves a way too seriously. It's all basically about a bunch of guys and girls weaving their wands. This coupled with this dead serious tone makes it completely unwatchable and even more ridiculous than ever. I just can't be bothered to see another one anymore. Too dark for children, and too infantile for adults. What a waste of time. And that's all I have to say.

Karol

Yeah, but in book 6 Rowling portrays the relationship as a genuine one, which makes the events in DH seem much more realistic. The film failed to do so.

Well... genuine? The way I read was it finally sort of occurred to Harry that Ginny had become a confident, attractive girl and realized there was nothing not to like. They just dated and seemed to have a grand time. There was no declaration of love. All that stuff wasn't apparent until the Deathly Hallows epilogue. I don't get it, though, when people say the relationship came out of nowhere, because that's where relationships come from sometimes. I mean, you're all, er, human beings... haven't you ever run into a case of abruptly finding someone you've known for a long time attractive? Or is it all love at first sight to you? Lust at first sight, whatever.

I saw the movie. I am rather disappointed. I was one of those who really liked OotP (it's my second favourite movie) with its concentration on characters development and ressistance against Umbridge and Ministry than Voldemort. Direction-wise [in OotP], I really liked the montages, which btw. were very well scored. Most of all, that movie made more sense to me than GoF which seemed even more rushed and had even more unexplained moments, some very irritating. OotP really made me care for the charactes again.

Unfortunatelly, with HBP most of the flaws of GoF returned. Too many things happen, too few are well explained or properly founded. The romance with Ginny happens out of the blue, at least as far as movies are concerned. There were small hints of it in CoS and one, very minute one in OotP, but if I hadn't known anything about HBP plot, I surely would have missed it. Ron-Hermione relationship at least has been developed on screen for all these years, although now I feel, that they neglected it a little bit too much in the previous installment.

What else? Malfoy's plotting isn't explained very good - they should have cut out half of his scenes in the Room of Requirements. Finally, the movie is called HP and The Half-Blood Prince, but for most of the time none cares about who he is and why. When we learn the truth it's so anti-climatic.

What I liked was the opening scene - it really delivers. Humorous scenes are as good as always - I liked them very much in the previous movies too. Broadbent was of course a very nice addtition to the already splendid cast. Overall, most of the scenes were preety well done in my opinion, too bad they didn't come together as a one good, cohesive movie.

HBP needed more montages to show the passage of time, actually show Snape teaching a DADA class, and cover other little things from the books, for sure.

I saw the movie. I am rather disappointed. I was one of those who really liked OotP (it's my second favourite movie) with its concentration on characters development

But that's why I liked HBP so much. It kept its concentration throughout, while OotP had a very good first half and then quickly degraded into a substance-less finale.

Finally, the movie is called HP and The Half-Blood Prince, but for most of the time none cares about who he is and why. When we learn the truth it's so anti-climatic.

Yes, you really get the feeling they tagged on Snape's "big" revelation just because of the movie's title.

Finally, the movie is called HP and The Half-Blood Prince, but for most of the time none cares about who he is and why. When we learn the truth it's so anti-climatic.

Yes, you really get the feeling they tagged on Snape's "big" revelation just because of the movie's title.

I guess there could have been more mentions of the Half-Blood Prince and less of "that Potions book," but the emphasis seemed reasonable to me. Basically all of the Half-Blood Prince material made it to the screen.

Except for taking the 15 seconds to reveal that Snape is a half-blood and his mother's last name was Prince.

Hmm, oh yeah, I forgot about Snape's background. They didn't have that memory of his childhood in Order of the Phoenix, either. Oh well. These details would have been nice, but does their absence totally cripple the Half-Blood Prince subplot?

Why bother with Snape's family? They didn't even show Voldemort's background, just the orphanage scene. Not to mention the Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs omission from PoA.

I only read the book when it came out but it seems there was a lot more of Voldermort's background which was the point of the book...

oh and all the Lavender Brown scenes were useless and annoying

Yes, the book contains many more flashbacks. You learn that the cave Dumbledore and Harry go to is where Voldemort used to torture kids when he was in the orphanage.

You learn all about his grandparents - a inbred pureblood family with the last name Gaunt. There's a daughter and brother, and the daughter falls in love with a muggle named Tom Riddle. She sneaks him a love potion and they run off and get married. When the potion wears off he leaves her, and soon after she gives birth to a son that she names Tom Marvolo Riddle (who is Voldemort). Voldemort returns one day and kills Tom Riddle (sr), which is the first murder that turns Marvolo's ring into a horcrux. He gets his uncle to take the blame for the murder because he uses his wand, and uses magic to make him think that he did do it. He dies in Azkaban still thinking so.

The ring that is shown in Dumbledore's office (and burned his hand) is Marvolo's ring. The Guants, by the way, are a descendant of Salazar Slytherin.

Hmmm what else. Oh yea! After graduating Hogwarts, he gets a job at Borgins and Botts, and that's where he comes across ancient relics of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw... basically Dumbledore discovers he was a collector and deduces that the 6 things he wanted to hide his soul piece in where: the diary, Marvolo's ring, and something from each othe 4 founders of Hogwarts - the Slytherin locket (originally in the cave), and 3 others - but Dumbledore knows he never got ahold of anything from Gryffindor (he has the sword), and figures the 6th piece ended up in Voildemort's snake instead.

Oh yea, and many years after leaving Hogwarts, he returns to try to get the position of DADA teacher, and Dumbledore again refuses, knowing he is calling himself Voldemort and already has followers called Death Eaters.... and ever since that visit, the DADA teacher has never lasted more than a year.

But yea, anyway, in the book, Harry knows the course of action to take - 2 horcruxes (ring and book) are down, 4 are to go - something of Ravenclaw's, something of Hufflepuff's, the real ring that RAB stole, and the snake..... but in the movie world, I have no idea how he is going to figure out all that information!

Very true. HBP was supposed to be Dumbledore preparing Harry for his fight against Voldemort, but the film only got him half way there.

Hmm, oh yeah, I forgot about Snape's background. They didn't have that memory of his childhood in Order of the Phoenix, either. Oh well. These details would have been nice, but does their absence totally cripple the Half-Blood Prince subplot?

The problem is that the film seems to give too little attention to the HBP plot. At the end, Snape's revelation not only seems too film-like, but also comes out of nowhere because you don't even think about that "sub"plot anymore at that point.

I'd love to see the Gaunt sequence, but I give the movie credit for working very well without it.

I'm very glad there were NOT really any montage scenes like in Order of the Phoenix. They kept pulling me out of the film everytime they happened, and I always thought they were done in a cheesy way (ex: the newspaper).

And for those wanting to see Snape teach DADA class, he only really teaches them one or two times in the book anyway, and basically just consisted of Snape being his usual, wonderful self. :) I was slightly dissapointed this wasn't in the film, since Snape has always been mentioned wanting to teach the class. And in the book it is a big deal to Harry and the others when he gets the post, especially for Harry since it really is his most talented subject.

However, I forgive the filmmakers for not showing us this since the scenes never showed any step forward in plot nor really expanded any characterization except for mere satisfaction for Snape.

Even though there's probably very little Snape in the overall film, it still manages to give the feeling that he's a strong presence. The first movie to do that, really.

I liked the monage scenes in OotP a lot, although a few of them came across as perhaps a little too light and fluffy.

I can understand why some people like them, and they did feature some of the best of Hooper's music in OOTP. But what I hated about them was they featured some story points just written on the newspaper, which flys by pretty fast sometimes, and if you didn't catch it, you would miss out on some plot points. Some more important than others. Also, watching montage scenes always make me crave to see the scenes they show in full, and for the moving feeling as short as it was, these montages did not help.

I can understand why some people like them, and they did feature some of the best of Hooper's music in OOTP. But what I hated about them was they featured some story points just written on the newspaper, which flys by pretty fast sometimes, and if you didn't catch it, you would miss out on some plot points. Some more important than others. Also, watching montage scenes always make me crave to see the scenes they show in full, and for the moving feeling as short as it was, these montages did not help.

I think the montages (including the newspapers) were perfect way to highlight some of the important aspects of the story and push it forward without attenuating the pace. Showing them in full would have slowed the movie and/or made it lose cohesion. I strongly believe HBP could have used some montages.

I really hope that when Death Hallows comes around, I'd like to see one of the trailers show a clip from each of the previous films, you don't realize how much these kids have grown and matured, its amazing. You simply cannot imagine anyone else in the main roles.

I really thought they were going to have to recast after the first few movies. It's amazing that everyone's stayed with it. Only one role recast, and that was for an actor's death.

I really thought they were going to have to recast after the first few movies. It's amazing that everyone's stayed with it. Only one role recast, and that was for an actor's death.

Maggie Smith looked pretty old in this one

It really is pretty remarkable to track the younger actors' growth throughout the series. It's especially been interesting to me because Daniel Radcliffe and I are the exact same age, give or take a month. And when I was younger, people thought I looked like Harry, too...

I really hope that when Death Hallows comes around, I'd like to see one of the trailers show a clip from each of the previous films, you don't realize how much these kids have grown and matured, its amazing. You simply cannot imagine anyone else in the main roles.

Yeah it's really weird when you look back. Its even weirder when I realized that I've been aging with the actors. I'm the same age as Emma Watson.

Maggie Smith looked pretty old in this one

She looked older in Hook ;)

I'm the same age as Radcliffe, and the books were released with Harry's age corresponding closely to mine (since Prisoner of Azkaban anyway). Kinda cool. That's my excuse for having been obsessed with the series.

I saw it on IMAX . So they give you 3D glasses and the first 10 minutes of the movie are in 3D...that's it! I kept wondering the whole time if they would tell you to put the glasses back on but no, not even for the cave scene

why did they bother?