JW piano recordings...

Datameister

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy it?

• Yes!
    • No!

I'm sure I know what the poll results will be like, but I thought I'd throw the poll in anyway. My question is this: imagine John Williams were to release a CD filled with his own piano performances of many of his most beloved cues. Would you buy it? Obviously, I would. The guy can definitely play, and what little I've heard of his piano demos for the directors he works with are delightful. If he devoted some time to fleshing out finished piano arrangements of some good cues, the results would be absolutely amazing. I'd be especially interested in such a CD because I am a pianist - a much worse pianist, mind you - and I enjoy arranging film scores for the instrument.

Perhaps a more interesting question: what cues would you put on this CD? I may post my ideas on that later on...I need to think about it. "Journey to the Island," "The Asteroid Field," and "Adventures on Earth" would be some of my more deservedly obvious choices, I think.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monsignor, Jane Eyre, A.I., E.T., Catch Me If You Can, Selections from the Star Wars and Indiana Jones series, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Checkmate, The Terminal, and the premiere recording of that piano concerto he better write before he dies would make a good album, in my opinion.

I'm sure I know what the poll results will be like, but I thought I'd throw the poll in anyway. My question is this: imagine John Williams were to release a CD filled with his own piano performances of many of his most beloved cues. Would you buy it? Obviously, I would. The guy can definitely play, and what little I've heard of his piano demos for the directors he works with are delightful. If he devoted some time to fleshing out finished piano arrangements of some good cues, the results would be absolutely amazing. I'd be especially interested in such a CD because I am a pianist - a much worse pianist, mind you - and I enjoy arranging film scores for the instrument.

Perhaps a more interesting question: what cues would you put on this CD? I may post my ideas on that later on...I need to think about it. "Journey to the Island," "The Asteroid Field," and "Adventures on Earth" would be some of my more deservedly obvious choices, I think.

Actually I'd want him to play his full orchestral scores on piano like Indy and SW, exactly the way he composes them. I believe everything he does, even the largest of the large orchestral stuff, starts at his piano.

That's more or less what I mean - when I say that I'd like him to flesh them out a little more, I just mean that if there were any rough spots or things that later got changed, it'd be cool to have those wrinkles ironed out. From what little is publicly available, I'd say that the results of his composing sessions at the piano would be enough in most cases.

On a related note...wouldn't it be amazing to have recordings of him working out our favorite musical ideas for the very first time at the piano? Imagine hearing "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" in embryonic, pianistic form, or the countless 5-note combinations that must have been candidates for CE3K...

Might I ask why? I mean, it's clear that he's not the world's #1 virtuoso or anything, but the guy can play really well. He started off as a studio pianist, after all.

I am sure he can play well, but I'd simply prefer his music being played by a great performer, not just an OKAY one. There are artists much better suited to this than JW himself.

My question is this: imagine John Williams were to release a CD filled with his own piano performances of many of his most beloved cues. Would you buy it?

I'd buy it in a second. This would be a great CD. I'd love to see him revisiting his repertoire on piano solo, or even arranged for chamber groups (much like the wonderful arrangements on "Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of JW" album).

Yes, and I would also buy it if the other John Williams would transcribe it for solo guitar.

Alex

He has done some, hasn't he? I know that he's done Schindler's List at least.

Perhaps a more interesting question: what cues would you put on this CD?

Well, if it could be anything at all, I'd like it to be just Williams playing it off the cuff from memory or his interpretation, mistakes and all;

The Mecha World

Homecoming - Born on the Fourth of July

Summon the Heroes

Escape from Cloud City

Duel of the Fates

The Motorcade

Everybody Runs

Lapti Nek

• 4 months later...

Yes, and I would also buy it if the other John Williams would transcribe it for solo guitar.

Alex

There was a great CD released in last year by Gregg Nestor of Ròzsa music transcribed for guitar.

Might I ask why? I mean, it's clear that he's not the world's #1 virtuoso or anything, but the guy can play really well. He started off as a studio pianist, after all.

I am sure he can play well, but I'd simply prefer his music being played by a great performer, not just an OKAY one. There are artists much better suited to this than JW himself.

Did you ever listened to this CD?:

http://www.amazon.de/Jazz-Beginnings-John-T-Williams/dp/B000H6SUQI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264721482&sr=8-10

Obvisouly NOT. He plays the piano excellent and very virtuos!

jerry goldsmith was 'sad' when williams started composing because the world was left without a great pianist.

I think williams maybe is rather good.