Standout main themes in otherwise uninteresting scores

Quintus

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maxie, don't take it personal.

In my mind there is a great social/cultural divide. Unrelated to race, sex, age and religion.

There are those who consider Jaws to be a cinematic masterpiece, and there is the filthy scum that does not!

Maxxie, you joined a year ago so you should know by now how this place works!

Nobody is getting personal on your arse, it's all in good humour. Just give it back as good as you get <_<

You unwashed heathen, you.

It's laughable that the shark from Universal Studios California looks more realistic than the one from Jaws: The Revenge, because even the Studios one is crap!

The Universal Studios Florida sharks look far better, and they don't come as ridiculously far out of the water like they're trying to fly.....

The fact that the shark looks fake is one of the reasons I adore Jaws, it adds to the charm. Gimme fake rubber sharks over CG ones any day of the week.

I don't find the shark laughable at all. I do however find you laughable.

The fact that the shark looks fake is one of the reasons I adore Jaws, it adds to the charm. Gimme fake rubber sharks over CG ones any day of the week.

And JAWS - The Revenge finds YOU laughable!

jaws4deathcrap02.jpg

I didn't say Jaws, I said Jaws: The Revenge. The sharks from Jaws were really good.

I couldn't give a toss what you think!

The first Bruce looks frightening, no matter what. The only real unconvincing scene is the boat hopping, but they didn't anticipate DVD back then.

JAWS 4 is in a league by itself, with several shots highlighting the rig and the machinery connected to the rubber model:

Give him a rest, after being killed three times you'd need help to stay afloat, too! (Pic 1)

Look Ma, no wires! (Pic 2)

...sorry, hotlinking wasn't possible...

I didn't say Jaws, I said Jaws: The Revenge. The sharks from Jaws were really good.

Touché :blink:

Touché :D

;):lol::(

• 3 months later...

Definitely Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves for me

Also:

John Debney - Liar Liar

Elmer Bernstein - The Great Escape

Strongly disagree about The Last Starfighter. Every track is good!

Same with Back To The Future.

The shark in Jaws (the first movie) does not look relistic but not fake either. It doesn't look like a great white but more like a movie monster version of it ,that's why he's scary . The paint job on it is also a lot more elaborate in the first film than the sequels and the Universal Studios one

• 2 years later...

I can't believe Silvestri couldn't even manage to get his Avengers in this thread. The man used to be brilliant :(

Anyway, I'd like to add the main theme to season two's Game of Thrones. The updated arrangement (including the choral accompaniment at the end) is suitably epic, I love it. The rest of the scoring is unfortunately 90% woodchip wallpaper.

Back to the Future and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves immediately came to mind. However Last of the Mohicans could take the prize for me.

Back to the Future and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves immediately came to mind. However Last of the Mohicans could take the prize for me.

Come on man, Back to the Future is one of the best film scores ever written!

the social network.

?

The Poseidon Adventure.

I like the score quite a bit actually. And I'm not the only who thinks that David Arnold took the opening of the theme as one of his major themes in Independence Day right? Cause I never see that mentioned anywhere...

the social network.

?

problem? I happen to think it's a quite nice main theme in an otherwise shitty score.

Are we talking about that 6 note motif on the piano? How many times does that show up in the score again? :P

Well I guess its not a bad theme per se, but I wouldn't say it qualifies as a "standout theme" (and barely gets the privilege of being considered a theme).

I don't know how you do it Alice...cause when I listen to that first track, the theme hardly reaches my ears thanks to to the horrifying haze of noise in the background...sounds worse than the broken fan on my crappy laptop...

Listening to Star Trek First Contactt expanded solidified this for me. I just can't get into that score. There doesn't seem to be any urgency, just plodding. I want to like it more than I do, because the Main Title is so great. I think the praise heaped on this score is based on the main title alone.

The Capitol Anthem in JNH's Hunger Games

The theme isn't even composed by JNH. Not sure if its counts as one of the main themes of the score, although JNH does use it as the Capitol's primary anthem.

I also liked the loss theme in that score.

the social network.

?

problem? I happen to think it's a quite nice main theme in an otherwise shitty score.

Are we talking about that 6 note motif on the piano? How many times does that show up in the score again? :P

Well I guess its not a bad theme per se, but I wouldn't say it qualifies as a "standout theme" (and barely gets the privilege of being considered a theme).

I don't know how you do it Alice...cause when I listen to that first track, the theme hardly reaches my ears thanks to to the horrifying haze of noise in the background...sounds worse than the broken fan on my crappy laptop...

oh, reznor & ross haters? seriously guys... shit is getting old.

I get that it's not a standout theme according to you. but for me, who actually enjoys it quite a lot and think it captures the mood of the film perfectly, but dislikes the rest of the score wouldn't call it anything else.

I'll have to give it a listen, I've not seen the movie or heard the score. What should I search on YouTube?

Lee - who doesn't do musical snobbery.

the social network.
?
Are we talking about that 6 note motif on the piano? How many times does that show up in the score again? :P Well I guess its not a bad theme per se, but I wouldn't say it qualifies as a "standout theme" (and barely gets the privilege of being considered a theme). I don't know how you do it Alice...cause when I listen to that first track, the theme hardly reaches my ears thanks to to the horrifying haze of noise in the background...sounds worse than the broken fan on my crappy laptop...
oh, reznor & ross haters? seriously guys... shit is getting old. I get that it's not a standout theme according to you. but for me, who actually enjoys it quite a lot and think it captures the mood of the film perfectly, but dislikes the rest of the score wouldn't call it anything else.

I don't hate the Reznor and Ross, I just don't like The Social Network as a score. It was harsh on the ears (for me at least) and I personally don't think it made much of an impact on film. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was more tolerable but it served as a terrible listening experience for me and again I didn't think it had much effect in film. I have nothing against the composers, I just haven't liked the two scores I've heard from them. If you liked the The Social Network, then its perfectly fine, I have nothing against your feelings towards it.

It becomes really tiring when someone says something like "I didn't like the Social Network; and they immediately get bashed for "hating" Reznor and Ross for no apparent reason, or accused of "musical snobbery". I didn't like the score and I did think the dissonant haze in the background of Hand Covers Bruise sounded a bit like my broken laptop fan. I don't that makes me a musical snob, its just my preference and opinion (I'm allowed to have that right? Just checking...).

The Poseidon Adventure.

I like the score quite a bit actually. And I'm not the only who thinks that David Arnold took the opening of the theme as one of his major themes in Independence Day right? Cause I never see that mentioned anywhere...

I can hear a resemblance between those two. Also, does anyone else hear a slight resemblance to the droid motif within the first minute of The Poseidon Adventure End Titles?

I don't hate the Reznor and Ross, I just don't like The Social Network as a score. It was harsh on the ears (for me at least) and I personally don't think it made much of an impact on film. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was more tolerable but it served as a terrible listening experience for me and again I didn't think it had much effect in film. I have nothing against the composers, I just haven't liked the two scores I've heard from them. If you liked the The Social Network, then its perfectly fine, I have nothing against your feelings towards it.

It becomes really tiring when someone says something like "I didn't like the Social Network; and they immediately get bashed for "hating" Reznor and Ross for no apparent reason, or accused of "musical snobbery". I didn't like the score and I did think the dissonant haze in the background of Hand Covers Bruise sounded a bit like my broken laptop fan. I don't that makes me a musical snob, its just my preference and opinion (I'm allowed to have that right? Just checking...).

well if you would've said "I didn't like the social network" right away and then maybe explained why (like you in an excellent way did just now) I certainly wouldn't have reacted the way I did. but all that "?" and questioning nonsense provoked me a bit for some reason. maybe I'm still hungover from last night's CL party hehe...

and what is your definition of a standout theme? I'd say it's inarguably the most memorable piece of the whole score.

I didn't think it had much effect in film

no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVud9h7snA

I think the theme favored the film quite well.

I'll have to give it a listen, I've not seen the movie or heard the score. What should I search on YouTube?

obviously not everyone appreciates the theme's minimalism but I think it's beautiful! :)

well if you would've said "I didn't like the social network" right away and then maybe explained why (like you in an excellent way did just now) I certainly wouldn't have reacted the way I did. but all that "?" and questioning nonsense provoked me a bit for some reason. maybe I'm still hungover from last night's CL party hehe...

Ya, I suppose it is partially my fault, the "?" did make me seem a bit pretentious. I apologize for that...

And a party eh? Well I spent all of last night studying for exams instead...count yourself lucky :)

and what is your definition of a standout theme? I'd say it's inarguably the most memorable piece of the whole score.

I don't know, I guess I thought the thread was covering standout themes in comparison to other film scores as well. In that case, I find the TSN theme forgettable in the big picture of the film score industry. But I suppose within the score itself it stands out...

But the most memorable part of the score was the electronic version of In the Hall of the Mountain King ;)

I didn't think it had much effect in film

no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFVud9h7snA

I think the theme favored the film quite well.

Hehe, the only thing that keeps going through my head is the thought that that kid is going to be the next Spiderman. Don't get me wrong, I really liked him in TSN. But its going to take me a while (if ever) before I can get into him as Spiderman...

As for the music in the scene, I guess it works. I mean the music fits fine with the scene, and for most of the film the score works in context. But realistically speaking, a single note droning (with occasional key changes) would have worked perfectly fine with that film too. Likewise, the scenes would have worked equally fine for me without the music. The score never affects the film in a negative way, but in the end it doesn't do much to enhance the experience either.

Let me put it this way. To be honest, in the end, after I watched the film in theatres, the only piece of music I really came out remembering was Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King in the well done montage. Other than that, there isn't much that really sticks. I guess that's why I don't consider this a standout theme. Because it doesn't stick, and coming out of the theatres, I don't recall it.

I personally feel a lot of film would have worked fine without the music. As I mentioned above, the music doesn't do any harm and it works fine in context. But again, how does the film benefit from the score? There's no depth to it. And considering there never is really any real development or a proper representation of the struggles of the narrative or the nuances of the characters in the film, this ultimately failed as a film score for me. The score basically makes no effort to address the film specifically. Any form of independent droning works with Fincher's film. And in the end, Reznor/Ross' score is really just a collection of minimalistic clips of music assembled together and pasted on film. Does it work? Yes. Does it make an effort to be a good film score? Not really. Being a film score is more than making the music fit the footage.

Meh. The music in that clip started out really hard to hear and just sounded like any other bland ambiance you'd hear in your average movie or TV show. If that wasn't Justin Timberlake, the kid from Zombieland, and the next Spider-Man, I'd swear it was just another run of the mill Law and Order setup clip with run of the mill Law and Order music.

obviously not everyone appreciates the theme's minimalism but I think it's beautiful! :)

Look, I can appreciate where you're coming from (I like Clint Easwood's scores, for eg). This Social Network music is something I'd not listen to outside of the film, but I can absolutely imagine its suitability as tonal accompaniment in a movie of its style. The sparse melody evokes feelings of melancholy and wanting, so why shouldn't those things be deemed as qualities in the music? It's all valid as score, whether one's tastes liken to it or not.

28 Days Later is another score whose quieter eccentric little chimes and strums are strangely very appealing to me, as score. It's atonal and abstract to say the least, but somehow warm and carefree, like good memories of better times.

I don't know, I guess I thought the thread was covering standout themes in comparison to other film scores as well. In that case, I find the TSN theme forgettable in the big picture of the film score industry. But I suppose within the score itself it stands out...

As for the music in the scene, I guess it works. I mean the music fits fine with the scene, and for most of the film the score works in context. But realistically speaking, a single note droning (with occasional key changes) would have worked perfectly fine with that film too. Likewise, the scenes would have worked equally fine for me without the music. The score never affects the film in a negative way, but in the end it doesn't do much to enhance the experience either.

I personally feel a lot of film would have worked fine without the music. As I mentioned above, the music doesn't do any harm and it works fine in context. But again, how does the film benefit from the score? There's no depth to it. And considering there never is really any real development or a proper representation of the struggles of the narrative or the nuances of the characters in the film, this ultimately failed as a film score for me. The score basically makes no effort to address the film specifically. Any form of independent droning works with Fincher's film. And in the end, Reznor/Ross' score is really just a collection of minimalistic clips of music assembled together and pasted on film. Does it work? Yes. Does it make an effort to be a good film score? Not really. Being a film score is more than making the music fit the footage.

who said anything about themes in comparison to other film scores as well, and how can you decide which one of the score's themes stands out more than the other? I guess you could go after the mass crowd's likes and knowledge but still, that'd certainly complicate things, don't you think?

concerning the "fight" scene, I don't think I would've loved that scene as much as I did without that music. I'm glad you think it fit well, but I feel as if the theme enhanced all the emotions in the most exquisite way which obviously led to a more memorable and affective scene. and THAT is my definition of good film music. hell, it even gave me goosebumps!

I don't know if the movie benefits from the score in general. maybe, maybe not... frankly, I don't even care. I'm not talking about the whole score, I'm talking about the main theme. but I'm sorry you feel like it has no depth. you know, sometimes music says so much by saying so little.

I guess we could just agree to disagree :)

28 Days Later is another score whose quieter eccentric little chimes and strums are strangely very appealing to me, as score. It's atonal and abstract to say the least, but somehow warm and carefree, like good memories of better times.

hmm, I'll definitely check it out!:)

The Capitol Anthem in JNH's Hunger Games

The theme isn't even composed by JNH. Not sure if its counts as one of the main themes of the score, although JNH does use it as the Capitol's primary anthem.

I also liked the loss theme in that score.

people keep saying that. I mean of course the cues Preparing the Chariot and Horn of Plenty, which I assume is the stuff adapted by JNH

Is there any other track/song where that theme appears by the original composer? I checked the song only c.d. and I can't find a hint of it