Star Trek Into Darkness (The Big Bad Star Trek (X)II Thread)

John Crichton

JJ abrams is the worst thing to happen to Star Trek.

People like you probably think it's the best thing that's happened to it, but you'd be wrong.

JJ abrams Stuart Baird is the worst thing to happen to Star Trek.

Fixed.

no I was correct the first time. Nemesis is okay tv fare. think of it as a lesser two part tv episode and it's tolerable and it has one thing going for it. Not on damned Lens Flare.

Stuart Baird didn't pen the godawful Nemesis script or take a dump on so many beloved characters. His directing and editing were just fine.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/03/orci-no-title-yet-for-star-trek-sequel-first-teaser-super-soon-more-from-trekmovie-com-fan-qa/

Among other things, Orci says that he watched the entire original series plus the TOS films, and says he "took away a better sense of tone and where our heroes are supposed to be like once they mature out of 09."

I like this. Hopefully we'll be getting a more thoughtful film this time around.

Let's see.

Well, I suppose we can't claim that a Reman clone of Picard in any reflects poorly on Picard, as it wasn't his fault someone sold a spoon he used to the Romulans to get DNA from a saliva sample, or a hair follicle (when they had a chance to do so, that is). What have you.

I don't like the idea that Dr. Soong had an undocumented Data/Lore prototype laying around that could be discovered, and that he never once slipped up when talking to his "sons." Sure, he never mentioned the android body he shoved his wife into -- meaning that for a time, Dr. Soong was banging one of his androids, which is the ultimate fantasy for lonely nerds everywhere -- so it's possible that he either forgot or deliberately chose to never reveal B4. But all of our main TNG characters are really really stupid for building this Data prototype and cutting him loose without thinking that he could be another evil Data like Lore, especially on the back of such a volatile mission into Romulan space.

The dune buggy was just another way to eff up the Prime Directive without repercussion.

I suppose that Riker and Troi's wedding was inevitable based on how cozy their relationship was implied to be getting in the final years of Voyager.

Worf, Beverly, and LaForge had nothing to do in the entire episode, aside from telling us that if we were hoping for a Star Trek VI-like way of defeating a shoot-while-cloak ship, we would have to think again.

I suppose Troi's psychic torpedoes were rather clever, and her subsequent "crashing" of the next Enterprise was consistent.

Meh. Aside from Data's noble sacrifice -- no, it was a blatant way to go Star Trek II for future sequels that will never be -- maybe they weren't dumped on, but they didn't emerge smelling any better than if they hadn't been.

I suppose that Riker and Troi's wedding was inevitable based on how cozy their relationship was implied to be getting in the final years of Voyager.

How were Riker and Troi on Voyager, wasn't the Voyager lost deep in Quadrant D?

Yes, but it was Reginald Barclay who made repeated contact with the ship and passed on word to Tom Paris' father. And Barclay hung out with Deanna Troi for no apparent reason, other than for Starfleet to determine if he was sane or actually making progress. And she kept talking about doing things with Riker, who was never seen in any Voyager episode other than that early holodeck escapade.

The episode of Enterprise with Riker with Troi doesn't count because it took place during TNG.

I'd like to watch the eps of DS9 that I missed on Netflix streaming, but it may wait until I'm done with other sci-fi that I totally missed.

As a kid I grew up watching TNG every Saturday evening at 7 with my dad on WCVB channel 5.

I watched the first 3 seasons of DS9 as they aired before losing interest; Tried out the first season of Voyager too but never returned for a second. Enterprise premiered after I was home from college so I saw every episode of all 4 seasons, even though it was terrible the entire time (guess I'm a stubborn viewer).

Beyond that I've seen movies 1-6, 8-9 and the reboot. Never seen an episode of TOS or TAS

One of these days I'll watch all the episodes of TNG DS9 and V when I have time.

I've seen plenty of clips and moments of TOS, and I just remembered I have seen a whole episode - I've watched Space Seed twice (each time before a viewing of TWOK). Nothing about TOS as a whole appeals to me, really. Seems very cheesy. The movies are great, however.

Nemesis is flawed, but insanely watchable. It may very well be a bad movie (like Final Frontier) and yet...CAN NOT LOOK AWAY. I excuse the shortcomings of Treks I-X because I'm a fanboy, certainly. But I can admit the flaws.

Star Trek 2009 was this entirely separate entity. It was yet another in the ongoing series of awful modern Hollywood reinterpretations of old TV shows. Too much comedy making fun of the material and dumb action. It had none of the heart, it was pure popcorn schlock. In other words, not Star Trek. At least, not for me.

In that gap between 2002 and, well, what turned out to be total shit 7 years later, I'd hoped the guys running Trek would demonstrate some growth, give some indication that their minds had room for expansion. But what have we seen instead? Car off a cliff. Laser fights. Shaky cam. Lens flares. Sulu pulling out a sword and mauling guys. Red shirt joke. Every original series stereotype played up for laughs. The most nonsensical plot yet. They have no idea how far they still have to go. But instead of using that seven years to change and to grow, they squandered them

Deep Space Nine is fantastic!

Indeed, it took some time finding it's stride but once it did it never let up.

The space battles in DS9 are unmatched on the small or big screen.

Star Trek is simply awesome, 79 episodes of various quality yet as a whole it's great television.

The Next Generation is a show full of heart and Soul.

Voyager like DS9 took time hitting it's stride but it's last few seasons were very good. Sadly the finale while very good needed 10 more minutes to be great.

Enterprise is okay with a handful of quality shows and one or two truly great ones.

Nemesis is flawed, but insanely watchable. It may very well be a bad movie (like Final Frontier) and yet...CAN NOT LOOK AWAY. I excuse the shortcomings of Treks I-X because I'm a fanboy, certainly. But I can admit the flaws.

Star Trek 2009 was this entirely separate entity. It was yet another in the ongoing series of awful modern Hollywood reinterpretations of old TV shows. Too much comedy making fun of the material and dumb action. It had none of the heart, it was pure popcorn schlock. In other words, not Star Trek. At least, not for me.

In that gap between 2002 and, well, what turned out to be total shit 7 years later, I'd hoped the guys running Trek would demonstrate some growth, give some indication that their minds had room for expansion. But what have we seen instead? Car off a cliff. Laser fights. Shaky cam. Lens flares. Sulu pulling out a sword and mauling guys. Red shirt joke. Every original series stereotype played up for laughs. The most nonsensical plot yet. They have no idea how far they still have to go. But instead of using that seven years to change and to grow, they squandered them

Well said. The I-X Trek films all have flaws, yet I love each of them for what they are. Trek 2009 was Hollywood crap, simply another origin story. Those classic characters were great because of the actors who played them. These new movies are simply playing off of name recogniztion of those characters.

Can't wait until they re-boot TNG.

So according to AICN's report today the new Star Trek film might not even have the Star Trek name in it's title.

That's great!!!!!!

So according to AICN's report today the new Star Trek film might not even have the Star Trek name in it's title.

That's great!!!!!!

Really? I don't see a need to keep it off.

Maybe it should be called: "It's Dead, Jim"

How about 3 men and a Lens Flare.

It would be Two and a Half Men and a Lens Flare, because the Half-Man is also Half Vulcan.

I'm not sure that makes him less of a "man," though, as the term is generically applicable to many humanoid aliens of a specific gender.

Dr. Strange Love or How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Lens Flare.

• 1 month later...

The guy who plays Dr. McCoy says that the villain is Gary Mitchell but the writer(sorry I just laughed out loud) Orci said it was not.

www.darkhorizons.com

Sheesh, I had to go dig around the site to find the article since you didn't link directly to it

http://www.darkhoriz...illain-revealed

Interesting. I can't see why Urban would mis-lead on purpose like that... .but if they are already introduced him and killed him off in the bridging comic book - which surely had to have been written knowing what the plot of the new film was - then it can't be him, right? Odd.

I can't say I understand the secrecy behind revealing who the villain is. It's not like it won't be revealed by the time the trailers, etc are rolling out, so why bother hiding it now? That'd be like if we didn't know Bane was the villain in the new Batman movie

But see, in the new Batman movie, I think there will be more beneath the surface than just Bane, and we've been misdirected. I don't think he's the chief architect, just the pawn.

or that Joseph Gorden Levitt is actually the Joker...or is it Nightwing.

I really just hope the villain isn't Khan. Wrath of Khan takes place 14 years-ish after the original 5 year mission. When the reboot movie ended, they weren't even caught up to when the original 5 year mission would have started yet, everyone is still so younger. It's too early for even space seed. Bah.

I think Gary Mitchell is very likely, but then I don't know why they'll introduce him in the comic and kill him off, or why the producers would say he's not. It's all so weird.

The only explanation is that the comic is canon, but Mitchell didn't really die. And in the movie Cumberbatch is thought to be a different character, and towards the end he is revealed to be Mitchell.

it's not like they actually have a script. Not with orci, the hack. They probably just winged it. It's probably Moriarity from the future after he got free of the holodeck in Picards time. Or it could be Nero's earthly cousin from the pass who is upset that his future cousin got kilt.

Do all old people who grew up with Star Trek and magically watched their VHS/Beta/DVD collection of the old series disappear from their shelves get this antagonistic towards the new writers...

OR JUST YOU?

:nopity:

Joey's constant bashing of Orci and Kurtzman, and the plot of the reboot movie in general, is getting so tiring. Same old thing over and over and over again

Oh I'm sorry, perhaps you see Orci as a quality writer.

suffer a brain injury recently, perhaps riding your bike while carrying a 40lb bag of dog food.

you guys thinking Orci and Kurtzman are quality writer is just as fking old. I'm sorry but why don't you guys write my posts for me, tell me what my opinions should be, I mean you guys are always fking right, RIGHT.

Stefan, Jason has never liked me, never will, until he became admin here, he had me on ignore. It's not like anything has changed. Wojo, well he just has his own issues with me.

I prefer arguing with Joey than the people in the fanboy thread. I feel like we can argue about dog food and college football and Paula Deen, and then find something to agree on about..............

............um..............

......it'll come to me.

I really just hope the villain isn't Khan. Wrath of Khan takes place 14 years-ish after the original 5 year mission. When the reboot movie ended, they weren't even caught up to when the original 5 year mission would have started yet, everyone is still so younger. It's too early for even space seed. Bah.

That's the only reason having Khan as the villain would bother you?