Interstellar (2014 film directed by Christopher Nolan)

JoeinAR

It's IMDB, filmmusic. It's always like that when a big movie comes out. Give it time, and Interstellar's place will change. Trust me (it may not be pushed out the top 250, but it sure won't stay at the 11th place).

Maybe, maybe not..

The Dark Knight after 6 years, is number 4.

Nolan needs to get better at bringing characters to life. Something that happens far too infrequently in his films.

Yeah. Nolan works so meticulously on his plots, that he needs to learn that sometimes it's less about the plot and more about the characters, and sometimes those smaller details don't matter.

Interstellar shows signs of improvement though, thanks to McConaughey and the very effective father-daughter relationship.

I do too.

But to Nolan's credit, this might be the first time where he actively tries to revolve his film around a more human relationship. Where the characters are more than just pieces of his plot puzzle.

Speaking of Nolan characters, coincidentally, and to annoy Pilgrim, this is what I came across today in The Telegraph:

As a student at UCL, Nolan was an obsessive champion of Ridley Scott’s 1982 film Blade Runner. Just as that film transferred into a future setting the standard motifs of film noir – notably a flawed hero, attempting to do the right thing in a morally bankrupt universe – the same genre has provided the template and inspiration for almost all of Nolan’s work. Whether it’s his no-budget debut, Following, or his multi-million Batman follow-up, Inception, Nolan zeroes in on ambiguous anti-heroes and the complexities of navigating a righteous path in a broken world.

Speaking of Nolan characters, coincidentally, and to annoy Pilgrim, this is what I came across today in The Telegraph:

As a student at UCL, Nolan was an obsessive champion of Ridley Scott’s 1982 film Blade Runner. Just as that film transferred into a future setting the standard motifs of film noir – notably a flawed hero, attempting to do the right thing in a morally bankrupt universe – the same genre has provided the template and inspiration for almost all of Nolan’s work. Whether it’s his no-budget debut, Following, or his multi-million Batman follow-up, Inception, Nolan zeroes in on ambiguous anti-heroes and the complexities of navigating a righteous path in a broken world.

Why would that annoy me? Plenty does, but why would that? ;)

It's pretty obvious. But so far Nolan never achieved that stunning visual esthetic that Scott in his prime had. Even though it's obvious he tries very hard.

How? and why?

Generally speaking Scott's films aren't really about the scripts. Some of his films have excellent scripts yes, but they are clearly the starting point for Scott. He uses then to tell the story in a much more visual manner then Nolan's talky scripts tend to do.

How? and why?

Generally speaking Scott's films aren't really about the scripts. Some of his films have excellent scripts yes, but they are clearly the starting point for Scott. He uses then to tell the story in a much more visual manner then Nolan's talky scripts tend to do.

That's what I said. Nolan wants to honour Scott's visual density in his script density.

Karol

Courtesy of Alex Cremer's signature:

"The film that really struck me was Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner.' That was a film I watched many, many times and found endlessly fascinating in its density. But I think the density of that film is primarily visual density and atmospheric and sound density, more so than narrative density. But, yeah, I think for a lot of filmmakers particularly, there will be a film like that in their past that they've really become a little obsessed with and seen too many times, or more times than seems healthy." - Christopher Nolan

You can always tell Wes Anderson to stop making quirky talky films with cold sarcastic characters. And so on.

It's just what he does. Take it or leave it.

Karol

The point is, there is not much we can add to this topic.

His films are talky? Yes.

There'a lot of spoken exposition? Yes.

Can I see why so many people see it as a problem? Sure.

But then, is it possible for studio to finance an expensive project like this without all that in place? No, not really.

He seems to film his stories as an attempt to look more every day so that it feels more real to you, rather than grand and stylised. All of which is a fair choice. And it seems like a concious one as well.

What seems really surprising for me, though, is that people seem to be disappointed by the same exact things every single time his film comes out. I mean, after nine pictures you should have an idea.

Karol

Was there really anything hard to follow plotwise in TDK? With Inception, I can kinda understand it (even if I don't fully agree), but with TDK?

The Michael Mann-without-style police procedural stuff in the first half is all pretty mind-numbing, with mobsters, cops and Chinese businessmen you don't give a shit about. It can be easy to tune out and miss things. I know I did on my first viewing.

Was there really anything hard to follow plotwise in TDK? With Inception, I can kinda understand it (even if I don't fully agree), but with TDK?

The Michael Mann-without-style police procedural stuff in the first half is all pretty mind-numbing, with mobsters, cops and Chinese businessmen you don't give a shit about. It can be easy to tune out and miss things. I know I did on my first viewing.

That's what I mean.

A later sequence with night vision goggles was also executed in a confusing manner. I didn't even know why Batman was there or what he was doing