J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg collaborate for "Super 8"

Koray Savas

I know. Different artist, different "soul". My point was that the people who grew up then might make films inspired by those films, but with their own sensibilities.

Or with JJ Abrams, lack of. ;)

I don't know, I haven't seen the film.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about Abrams but he convinced me that he put his heart into Super 8. That's the type of homage I appreciate.

I wouldn't be surprised if in this decade appear more films in the style of the 70's and 80's.

What made those films great wasn't their style, but their soul - their humanity.

Moon certainly feels like someone was copying a certain style. The style of the early seventies SF movies.

I wouldn't be surprised if in this decade appear more films in the style of the 70's and 80's.

What made those films great wasn't their style, but their soul - their humanity.

Moon certainly feels like someone was copying a certain style. The style of the early seventies SF movies.

it was kubrick like, lacking a heart and soul. Void of humanity.

Saw this over the weekend, what an absolute fantastic movie. Loved everything about it, makes me wish I was able to see E.T. in theaters, but I wasn't even a thought at the time.

The homage to Indiana Jones when Kyle Chandler's character steals the military truck was just fucking awesome.

and personally, I absolutely adored the ending.

I wouldn't say Kubrick's films are heartless and cold. In fact, many of them celebrate humanity albeit in a bit different way than a you would expect. Even stuff like Eyes Wide Shut, which is ultimately a very pro-family film.

But maybe that's just me. ;)

Karol - who didn't like Moon very much

I wouldn't say Kubrick's films are heartless and cold. In fact, many of them celebrate humanity albeit in a bit different way than a you would expect. Even stuff like Eyes Wide Shut, which is ultimately a very pro-family film.

I didn't like Moon at all. The actor who played the lone central character was awful. I cannot tolerate him often. Only in Green Mile did he work for me.

I don't buy the guy myself, except maybe for his role in Clooney's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. But then again that film was quite bizzare.

Karol

You're a hard man to please. Sam Rockwell is great!

if you say so, I just cannot agree.

To his credit I'm not sure any actor could have won me over in Moon.

It's not just you.

Moon disappointed me too (did not see Kubrick in it at all but rather Trumbull's Silent Running) but almost everyone who sees it loves it so I guess its themes are very appealing.

Alex

I agree. The problem was the execution, no question about it. The set was beautiful but I've read the boring camera work was deliberate so that it would symbolize the boring life on a moon station. I doubt if that was a good decision. After all, cinema should be an immersive experience. I did not really feel that daily life in a moon station was boring but rather the storytelling wasn't all that interesting.

Alex

I wanted to like Moon, I really did. It just didn't happen.

I agree. I even bought the blu-ray because I was pretty sure that I would like it. I'm not giving up on Duncan Jones though. I hear Source Code is pretty good.

Alex

Why do people buy blu rays / dvds of movies they've never seen before? Never understood that practice

I agree. The problem was the execution, no question about it. The set was beautiful but I've read the boring camera work was deliberate so that it would symbolize the boring life on a moon station. I doubt if that was a good decision. After all, cinema should be an immersive experience. I did not really feel that daily life in a moon station was boring but rather the storytelling wasn't all that interesting.

Alex

Strangely, the movie also dabbled slightly in melodrama. Not something I'd expect, on the moon.

Why do people buy blu rays / dvds of movies they've never seen before? Never understood that practice

Me neither. I barely buy them as it is, and even then they are films which I love to bits.

My dvd/blu collection is relatively small.

I agree. I think the emo piano music was responsible for that. Yes, it surprised me too.

Why do people pay so much for a ticket and for a movie they have never seen before?

Blu Rays cost more than a movie ticket, and the price it would cost to rent a blu ray you missed in the cinema is less than either

Blu Rays cost more than a movie ticket, and the price it would cost to rent a blu ray you missed in the cinema is less than either

I usually wait until they get cheaper.

So instead of paying $10 to see a movie in the theater, or paying $1 to rent a blu ray for a night 3 months later, you wait like a year or more until the blu ray comes down to $9 to watch a movie?

Yes, but if you buy it for 9 Euro's, you own the movie. And you can watch it in whatever circumstances you want. You don't have to suffer in some multuplex filled with stupid people talking though the movie, sending SMS messages, silly trailers, 10 minutes of commercials and a strange smell coming from the guy sitting next to you

Yea we have Red Box kiosks in most supermarket / gas stations where titles are $1/night.

And netflix is $9.99/month for unlimited dvds ($11.99/month to include Blu Rays)

I usually wait a year to see a movie, unless it's something I really, REALLY want to see. However, that doesn't happen very often. I don't buy a lot of Blu-rays but I do buy a lot of DVDs (when they are bottom price, of course).

You're right, Steef, Moon is a good example. I admit, I payed a little bit more than for a movie ticket but I still have the film on Blu-ray and I wouldn't mind to watch it again sometime.

Rental price here is 3.30 Euro. (rental store, not digital TV)

Except Kubrick didn't have much in the first place. ;)

MOON - Nice model-work, but a bit too self-consciously arty for its own good. Another narcoleptic score from Clint Mansell, too.

What I've seen of Kubrick reeks humanity in all its frames.

Then you haven't seen DR. STRANGELOVE, THE SHINING, FULL METAL JACKET, EYES WIDE SHUT etc... PATHS OF GLORY is probably Kubrick at his most humane and sincire (assuming you're discounting SPARTACUS, which most do), as opposed to dwelling in misanthropy, irony, satire, nihilism or alienation.

Then you haven't seen DR. STRANGELOVE, THE SHINING, FULL METAL JACKET, EYES WIDE SHUT etc... PATHS OF GLORY is probably Kubrick at his most humane and sincire (assuming you're discounting SPARTACUS, which most do), as opposed to dwelling in misanthropy, irony, satire, nihilism or alienation.

Isn't depriving a story of humanity the most powerful way a storyteller can make a plea for humanity?

Isn't depriving a story of humanity the most powerful way a storyteller can make a plea for humanity?

Depriving a story of humanity, is not necessarily the same as directing a film with a lack of humanity. Though am I skeptical of a film that presents little to no hope, soulfulness, spiritual transcendence, or idealism.

I maintain that it isn't necessary to always glorify humanity in films. Some objectiveness or certain "uncorfomtable" points of view might lead to a greater/better understanding of ourselves.

Most of the Blus I buy nowadays are of ones I've never seen. Does Netflix encompass everything and anything? My friend has been bugging me for months to borrow my Mad Men blus because Netflix doesn't have it. I've been tempted more than once to sign up, but I love adding something special to my film collection. If it's something I missed in theaters that I kinda want to see, I'll wait for HBO. I'm picky with my Blu purchases, which is odd since I tend to spend a lot on them.

In regards to Moon, I loved it in theaters. Watched it again with the family when it first hit the home theater market, but I think I fell asleep towards the end. Not because it was boring but I was just tired as hell and wasn't in the mood for a movie.

I bought it for myself a couple months ago, will revisit eventually in the right frame of mind.

As for Super 8 and this thread, have people been posting spoiler-free? Haven't had a chance to see it yet so I've been avoiding the thread.

It's pretty much been spoiler-free. Would it be cool by the mods to have two threads, one with and one without? It'd be nice to be able to go into a more in-depth discussion without spoiler boxes.

I maintain that it isn't necessary to always glorify humanity in films.

I think you're misinterpreting me here. When I say "humanity", I mean the virtue of being humane - ss traditionally defined.

However, I consider there to be a difference between showing humanity at its worst, and plain, pessimistic, misanthropy. If there's remotely positive or constructive to say, no light in the darkness, I consider the film lacking in humanity, or at least a belief in humanity.

However, I consider there to be a difference between showing humanity at its worst, and plain, pessimistic, misanthropy. If there's remotely positive or constructive to say, no light in the darkness, I consider the film lacking in humanity, or at least a belief in humanity.

Are you referring to a particular film? Moon? It's not very clear to me.

Are you referring to a particular film? Moon? It's not very clear to me.

I'm referring to the later half of Stanley Kubrick's output. Especially THE SHINING.

I thought Moon was a very emotive film. I got very involved with it. I'm a sucker for the combination of form+content in films like that. Later people told me they thought the story was too simple. I don't think I felt the need of "mmore story" in any way.

I maintain that it isn't necessary to always glorify humanity in films.

I think you're misinterpreting me here. When I say "humanity", I mean the virtue of being humane - ss traditionally defined.

All right :up:

I'm referring to the later half of Stanley Kubrick's output. Especially THE SHINING.

To help me understand it, can you give me an example of what you would change or add to it and why? Or perhaps it's not meant as critisism? Whenever I watch a Kubrick film, I never have the feeling or the thought that there's "no light in the darkness".

Moon compared to Super 8???

Welcome to JWfan ... where everything is possible. BTW, both movies copy movies from the past. Moon is a hommage to the style of SF movies from the seventies. Super 8 seems to be an hommage to the style of SF movies from the eighties. A new trend in movieland?

Alex

Moon compared to Super 8???

Welcome to JWfan ... where everything is possible. BTW, both movies copy movies from the past. Moon is a hommage to the style of SF movies from the seventies. Super 8 seems to be an hommage to the style of SF movies from the eighties. A new trend in movieland?

What I said. Filmmakers grow up seeing certain films and that is possibly going to influence their own films at some point.

It goes further than mere influence. They are deliberately made to look and feel that way.

This means some day some one is going to make a movie in the style of the "noughties".

First, somebody has to remake TIMECOP. About time!

• 3 weeks later...