No huger than the difference between actually solving your issues and imagining that you've actually solved them. :) And who says the characters on the Island didn't get their problems actually solved? Their problems were within, and those problems were gradually resolved during their time on the Island. That's the point of the entire show, IMO; I'm a little surprised I'm being met with resistance on that. Everyone got a fresh start on the Island. Together. Life wasn't perfect, but as time passed, they learned to - wait for it - let go. Season 1 was absolutely 100% focused on the characters' growth, and the other seasons never got too far behind. What season 6 tells me is that none of that was really worth it. It might have been "the most important part of their lives", but they still had to redo everything that mattered.

It's kinda like this. True story here. When I was in high school, I developed an anxiety problem. It was really bad. I was having panic attacks almost every day, and when I was in between attacks, I was constantly worrying about the next one. Over the course of the next few years, with the help of people who cared about me, I was able to realize how attached I was to the idea of control. I slowly learned to let go of that, and I learned techniques for dealing with the physiological symptoms of panic attacks. It wasn't an easy process, but through it, I grew into a more mature person. It was a very important part of my life. If I were in the LOST universe, and if I happened to die right now, I could be sure that in my sideways, I'd develop a major anxiety problem again, forget every single thing that I learned, and have to figure it all out all over again - and then I'd "move on" instead of getting to enjoy being healed. If that's not a depressing and pointless afterlife, I don't know what it is.

Another thing I just thought of. Human beings are complex. They have many issues. Jack, for instance, didn't just have daddy issues. He also needed to fix things. Is that a result of his daddy issues? Probably in part. But it's a separate problem, and solving one wouldn't solve the other. Even in the sideways, Jack still persists in NEEDING to fix Locke. Problem most definitely NOT solved. Sawyer may have become a cop instead of a criminal, but he was still on a revenge kick. Heck, Locke didn't even overcome any of his real-world problems - the sideways created new problem for him (guilt over his father's injuries). How sad is that?

I always found the son really exemplified the sideways, as a viewer....it's really obvious that he's a construct: he looks like Jack, he acts the same way, he walks the same way, they even wear pretty much the same clothes - which is something everyone noticed but him being a construct really explains that; it's one of the few actual ah-now-it-comes-together things that the final twist reveals.

Y'know...real sons are known to slightly resemble their fathers on occasion... ;) I think you're reaaallly reaching there.

Overall, I'm again amazed by the variety of human tastes. I see it in music, in film, in television, in hobbies...one man's trash is truly another man's treasure!

Well, in my defense, I didn't really 'reach' to get to that; both my girlfriend and I noticed the overemphasis on the son acting just like Jack, which fell into place in the finale.

Take a look at the scenes at his lawyer's and at the hospital. It's quite funny, actually.

I hate sounding like a Season 6 apologist because I really don't like it that much. But Joe, it seems like you didn't get the writer's point at all. Consider these few facts:

1) Characters will always be a simplification of a human being. Otherwise we would never understand and relate to one just by spending two hours with him (even hundreds of hours like TV). Hence, they may have many issues and different shades but they will always have one main characteristic. That's why each Lost character had one big issue that threaded its many conflicts together. Jack has self-esteem issues because his daddy didn't love him and gets violent and self-destructive when in doubt. Kate has trust issues because she's spent her life on the run and been betrayed a couple of times. Sawyer has adaptation issues because he had to grow up in intensely adverse circumstances. These are all solved in the Sideways universe -- Jack learns to love himself because his son loves him, Kate gets a trust-worthy friend in Claire and Sawyer finds his place in the world as a policeman.

2) The characters in Lost wanted to overcome their conflicts but when they were living in the real world, they always ended up turning to something else when things got too hot. Kate ran, Jack turned to alcohol, Sawyer turned to another con. Being in the island, they were forced to work them out. They had no choice. That's why their time on the island was so important, so vital to them. Not only were they confronting their ghosts but they were sharing the process with other people. Vitally connecting with them.

3) Overcoming your issues makes you grow up. You say that yourself with your anxiety story. Now imagine that by doing so, not only your mind grows up, but your soul does as well. Now imagine that the process the characters went through in the island enabled their souls to get to a point where they could finally, ultimately, solve their one, big, arching problem. Their souls weren't ready for it until they all (mostly symbolically) redeemed themselves. That's why they were so quick to accept their new, complete self with such ease. After all, they all found the key in something that had always* been there in the Sideways universe. They just had to open themselves up to it.

*I adhere to the theory that the Sideways universe was created in a nanosecond, but I'll let you be the judge of what that always means.

I noticed it, too, fommes. I was pleasantly surprised, because sometimes you don't really see that in supposed family members on TV. But it never gets to the point of feeling like mimicry or cloning or anything. He just seems like a real-life son. Their speech patterns, interests, and attitudes aren't totally identical, nor is David a perfect physical replica of Jack. They just look, act, and sound rather similar. Just like you'd expect a real father and son to be, whether or not they themselves realized it. Heck, it's only in the last few years that I've realized how much I look and act like my father. We're a lot more similar than Jack and David, let me tell you. And I've seen the same thing with countless other parents and their children.

In any case...why would Jack's son resembling him, even if it were to an unusual degree, make it likely that he wasn't real? Jack didn't really resemble his father. Wouldn't it thus make more sense - I use the word loosely ;) - for the sideways to pair Jack with a son that doesn't resemble him, to increase the parallels in the relationship?

And if the whole point of Jack's sideways is for him to let go of his daddy issues...why not just take care of it directly by having his father be alive, so they can reconcile directly?

The whole thing is just utter nonsense. :(

Joe, it seems like you didn't get the writer's point at all.

Finally, something we can all agree on! :)

Characters will always be a simplification of a human being.

I'll give you that one. It's true. But most of the characters in this particular show do have multiple dimensions to their personalities. And every single one of the issues you cited as examples had already been solved satisfactorily in the real world.

The characters in Lost wanted to overcome their conflicts but when they were living in the real world, they always ended up turning to something else when things got too hot. Kate ran, Jack turned to alcohol, Sawyer turned to another con. Being in the island, they were forced to work them out. They had no choice. That's why their time on the island was so important, so vital to them. Not only were they confronting their ghosts but they were sharing the process with other people. Vitally connecting with them.

Exactly my point. That's the heart of the show right there. Having to confront those ghosts all over again with no memory of doing it the first time around...that ruins it for me.

Overcoming your issues makes you grow up. You say that yourself with your anxiety story. Now imagine that by doing so, not only your mind grows up, but your soul does as well. Now imagine that the process the characters went through in the island enabled their souls to get to a point where they could finally, ultimately, solve their one, big, arching problem. Their souls weren't ready for it until they all (mostly symbolically) redeemed themselves. That's why they were so quick to accept their new, complete self with such ease. It was, after all, through something that always* had been there in the Sideways universe. They just had to opening themselves up to it.

...wait, what? ;) Their souls have grown up enough to be ready to undo that process and grow up all over again? They'd redeemed themselves enough to get a chance to be un-redeemed so they could redeem themselves again? Yep, that sounds pretty consistent with what I saw...but it still doesn't make any sense.

No. The island characters accepted their issues and learned to live with them. The Sideways ones were able to embrace a life without said issues.

Again, there's a difference. You can't get to the latter without going through the former.

No. The island characters accepted their issues and learned to live with them. The Sideways ones were able to embrace a life without said issues.

Again, there's a difference. You can't get to the latter without going through the former.

I'm trying really hard to see it that way...but it still sounds like nonsense to me. ;) Maybe you could explain it differently?

Well argued, Jason.

I always found the son really exemplified the sideways, as a viewer. On the one hand, you get to like him; he's fun + it's one of the best, if not the best sideways scenes when Jack and him come to terms with each other. On the other hand, it's really obvious that he's a construct: he looks like Jack, he acts the same way, he walks the same way, they even wear pretty much the same clothes - which is something everyone noticed but him being a construct really explains that; it's one of the few actual ah-now-it-comes-together things that the final twist reveals.

That was the thing with that character: David WAS Jack (I think in the episode "What They Died For" Locke even mentions when he's in Jack's office that David looks just like him). Initially David acts the same way towards Jack as Jack did towards Christian in his life, he was cold and dismissive. That led Jack to see his father in himself and makes amends with David, realizing that Christian, for all his flaws, felt the same way about Jack as Jack did about David, but didn't know how to show it. That's the reason David existed.

I think a sort of code to see which characters were real in the sideways and which weren't is to look at if said character serviced the island in any way (I'm going to assume that any character that died or was born in the alt was a construct). This goes along with the theory that the island, or events on the island, had a role to play in the existence of the alt. In fact I think it could even be argued that Jughead did actually create the sideways, it just wasn't a literal diverging parallel timeline like it was intended to be as much as it was an epilogue-like "flash upwards" to a way-station between life and death for the characters to reconcile, come together, and get a happy ending. Upon detonation it would have screwed with the Source, causing the last time flash to island present, and produced the alt. Christian said they created it, but he didn't say how.

That was the thing with that character: David WAS Jack (I think in the episode "What They Died For" Locke even mentions when he's in Jack's office that David looks just like him).

That's what people say about parents and children...because they often DO look just like each other...

Initially David acts the same way towards Jack as Jack did towards Christian in his life, he was cold and dismissive. That led Jack to see his father in himself and makes amends with David, realizing that Christian, for all his flaws, felt the same way about Jack as Jack did about David, but didn't know how to show it. That's the reason David existed.

But Jack was a good father. He cared about his kid, he wasn't a drunk, and he honestly tried. Christian was just not very good at the whole thing, and that's how he was till he died. (Both times.) So while there are certainly parallels between David and Jack, the parallels between Jack and Christian are more like...lines at 34 degree angles. ;)

I think a sort of code to see which characters were real in the sideways and which weren't is to look at if said character serviced the island in any way (I'm going to assume that any character that died or was born in the alt was a construct). This goes along with the theory that the island, or events on the island, had a role to play in the existence of the alt. In fact I think it could even be argued that Jughead did actually create the sideways, it just wasn't a literal diverging parallel timeline like it was intended to be as much as it was an epilogue-like "flash upwards" to a way-station between life and death for the characters to reconcile, come together, and get a happy ending. Upon detonation it would have screwed with the Source, causing the last time flash to island present, and produced the alt. Christian said they created it, but he didn't say how.

Or, in fewer words...lame. :P

Why would you apply your own logic to the show instead of trying to crack the narrative logic the writers are trying to convey? It's much more satisfying that way. Lost is not trying to be a manual.

I can't simply choose to think about this in a way that's more satisfying. My brain is wired in such a way that I can't find any internal logic in what they were trying to do with the end of the finale. I know LOST is not a manual, but I care(d) about the characters and wanted their story to have a satisfying ending. Everything is VERY satisfying until those last ten minutes, at which point the whole sideways is turned on its head so that I just pity the characters - and myself, for believing that the sideways was there for a purpose, for a good reason. Now I feel a little bit like Locke did toward the end of season 2...except unlike him, I'm right. :lol:

Following the logic of the writers is not always good advice, to be honest. It's what prequel fanboys tell you to do. You're always safer using a critical eye. Only in the case of Lost, you're in good hands doing it. And you risk ruining the experience if you don't.

But don't worry, there's still hope for you.

That "island epilogue" with Hurley and Ben ought to be really interesting, seeing as how it's the DVD extra that's supposed to answer some questions not addressed in the show. The producers have been talking about it for a while now. It seems Walt will also show up in it, which is great because I knew they had filmed some scenes with him but none of it ended up in the finale. Like I needed another reason to get the complete series set. ;)

Yup, and it will be easy to include Walt because it can take place at a time when the actor is appropriately aged for

• 2 months later...

Well, I watched "The New Man In Charge" this morning. It was a mixed bag of cool moments, "ah-ha" moments, silly moments, and "oh. ok" moments.

For those who are curious about it but won't seek it out on their own, what happens in it is:

2 dudes in Dharma jumpsuits in Guam are preparing food for Dharma drops (ie replacing labels with Dharma labels), as they've been doing for 20 years. Ben Linus shows up and tells them their services are no longer needed, and gives them both wallets full of cash as their severance. He tells them Dharma hasn't existed in a while and the coordinates they are receiving of where to drop the food are automated messages being sent from the Lamp Post Station in LA. They demand answers do Ben shows them the Orientation film for Hydra station which explains a bunch of stuff including the fact that the fertility issues are caused by the electromagnetism on the island, the polar bears are there to turn the donkey wheel, Room 23 is there to try to figure out why the Hostiles worship Jacob, and some more stuff.

Ben then goes and visits a much grown up Walt at the same mental institute Hurley had been in. Tells him he's special because the island has a job for him, starting with him helping his father (helping his soul move on I guess). So Walt leaves with Ben and they get in the Dharma Van he's driving where Hurley is waiting. Its implied that Walt will become the new "Protector" after Hurley's tenure is done.

It was interesting but nothing groundbreaking. Still plenty of unanswered questions, and I still feel like a bunch of answers from both this and Season 6 as a whole are just wedging answers into old concepts they had from the early seasons before they determined their end game around the end of season 3

My 36-Disc Ultimate Blu-ray Collection has arrived. It is the Spartacus of home entertainment. Most elaborate and gorgeous movie/TV set ever.

I couldn't quite tell from the pictures, but is there a box inside that you're able to put on a shelf, alongside other Blu-rays and such?

What is on the hidden disc and how is it hidden?

A detailed description of the set, bonus disc location in spoiler tags for those who want to discover it for themselves like I did:

The set is a gorgeous "cut-off" pyramid, with sandpaper like exterior complete with Egyptian symbols. The top lifts off to reveal the inside. The top itself is a good quarter-inch thick or so, and on the inside of it is a rigid (like you can actually feel the bumps and grooves) map of the island. We move to set itself. A booklet sits proud on top between two thin sectionals with attached tabs. The booklet lifts out and contains all the episode guides complete with pictures from the series. Beneath the booklet is the game board as seen in the show, played by Jacob and the MIB. Beneath that lies the box set which contains all the discs. That itself is also rough like the exterior, and each season is encased in a foldout cardboard booklet. They're very long and thin, I believe they're either three-fold or four-fold. Each disc is held within a CD cutout/flap (similar to the JW Music Of America set), and inside each fold is a picture. That whole part you can take out and slip between other DVDs/Blus if you wish. There's a little piece of cardboard that loosely holds everything I just described, it basically wraps around the bottom and side and has two little flaps with ankhs on them that you can see from the top. However if you look closely at the bottom and angle it right with a light source, you can see a very detailed recreation of the blast door map, like it's not just printed on, you can feel the bumps and grooves. Actually speaking of that, the set comes with a black light, which looks like you're standard Dharma laser pointer. I haven't tried but thinking now if you shine it at the blast door map it might be more visible (which is fucking awesome). There's also a folded up journal entry from the Black Rock, which I don't believe has been shown anywhere (within the show or otherwise). It's written from a crew member's POV of how all the men aboard the ship go crazy (same situation that happened with the freighter), and how they have headaches and nosebleeds and heavenly flashes of light, how the island apparently is shifting locations (starboard at one moment, port the other), how they can't escape the island (strange currents), and how Captain Hanso was talking like he was a 10 year old asking for sweets (Charlotte situation). Pretty neat. There's also a plastic ankh that opens up and contains a very tiny scroll within it. It's just a bunch of Egyptian symbols. Then on the other sectional there are the pieces for the game: white rocks, black rocks, and those stick thingys. The rocks are real rocks too, not just some plastic things they could have gone with.

So, that's pretty much it. Now to the hidden bonus disc... My brother said he had to call Disney to find it, although he could have easily searched online.

I had noticed the map on the inside of the cover was crooked, but took it as production sloppiness, and then moved towards everything else. I took every thing out, examined all the disc cases, etc. Couldn't find a thing, and I did a thorough search while trying not to break anything. Then I went back to the cover and thought again, it's crooked. I jiggle it a bit and it starts to move. I gently tried to lift it off but that didn't work, so I started to try and slide it off and that fails too. Then I noticed it only moves up or down from the corners. The whole map twists and lifts off to reveal the disc which is placed in a nice cutout. It's in a paper slip that's embroidered with gold designs, as is the disc itself.

My 36-Disc Ultimate Blu-ray Collection has arrived. It is the Spartacus of home entertainment. Most elaborate and gorgeous movie/TV set ever.

I couldn't quite tell from the pictures, but is there a box inside that you're able to put on a shelf, alongside other Blu-rays and such?

See above.

From as far as I can tell, us Europeans are mightily screwed again. It costs a fortune to have this imported, and Seasons 3 and 4 are not region-free. The DVDs have the extras missing that were on all the previous Best Buy/HMV etc. bonus discs. And there's the Best-Buy Season 6 DVD set (not the Blu-ray set) that contains 20 minutes extras not on the Complete Collection. I wouldn't care much for extras, but of course it's always Giacchino related ones that are on them (For instance, on the Best-Buy S6 there's Lost Live: The Final Concert; on Blu-Ray -not DVD which I have- there's "More from the Symphony", etc.).

In the UK the set is very, very likely not going to be the same at all, plus, it seems that there were (only a few, but still) edits in Season 5 and 6. I have no idea if these edits are specific to the UK or count for the Benelux, Germany, France, etc. as well.

Finally have some time to sit down and start the series from the beginning. I watched Episodes 1-3 last week, and now just finished Walkabout. Here is where you can notice the MIB executes his plan. He finds and chooses Locke in the jungle, and shortly after he appears to Jack in order to lead them to water.

Awesome stuff.

Am I the only one who has watched "New Man In Charge"?

I think Gabe watched it. I'm going through the whole series, so it'll be the last thing I watch, and probably something I won't see until October. And after I watch everything, I'll then go through all the bonus features, including episode commentaries. Chris Tilton said on his twitter the commentary for Across The Sea answers everything you want to know, and explains why you shouldn't care about the rest.

Here's the quote:

Listening to the commentary on the LOST ep "Across the Sea" will answer most questions and justify the reasons for not answering the rest.

Am I the only one who has watched "New Man In Charge"?

I watched this one the other night and really wish they found a way to include it in the finale. To me, it could have been interesting to see Ben going around to different people in the finale wondering what he was up to, ultimately seeing him with Hugo at the end replacing their somewhat forced conversation outside the church. I really liked the parallel timeline going on throughout the season, including how it was handled in the finale and something like this would have just been even more confusing for fans, but I think it would have been worth it. Plus, it was nice seeing Walt again.

If they only took this approach with explaining stuff during the entire season, then maybe we wouldn't have had such crappy moments as there were. They should have realized that the mystery was the key, and giving it away forcibly at times was just plain wrong.

If they only took this approach with explaining stuff during the entire season, then maybe we wouldn't have had such crappy moments as there were. They should have realized that the mystery was the key, and giving it away forcibly at times was just plain wrong.

Yes! Yes! Yes! That is exactly how I feel. None of my friends agree with me. They all are too blinded by their affection for the show to realize how sloppy some of the explanations were.

I would rather just keep wondering about the polar bears and why that food was dropped than have that meh explanation. I still think they should have taken care of Walt though. Something that should have been in the show.

Yes! Yes! Yes! That is exactly how I feel. None of my friends agree with me. They all are too blinded by their affection for the show to realize how sloppy some of the explanations were.

I would rather just keep wondering about the polar bears and why that food was dropped than have that meh explanation. I still think they should have taken care of Walt though. Something that should have been in the show.

Yes, it's unfortunate that some of the explanations were kinda half-assed in appearance (maybe just sounded better on paper?). Not to mention that some of them don't add up, like the whispers. I'm currently halfway through Season 1; I believe the last episode I watched was "Whatever The Case May Be." Starting over now and having Season 6 still somewhat fresh in my mind, there is a pretty big disparity in quality. We'll see how it all blends together. So far I think the old mysteries are holding up well and working well with the explanations they gave. It's a totally different experience when you see 815 break apart for the first time and know Desmond's out there fumbling with the computer. It's totally different when you see the high-camera angle of the smoke coming from the bushes to find Locke, knowing it's Samuel (the MIB) picking his target. It's totally different when Rousseau explains how she crashed, and you know Jin was there and they saw the Temple. Well, you get the idea.

But then again, there are things you notice that don't add up. Rousseau first tells Sayid that she knows there are Others but she has never seen them. Is that true up until this point? I could have sworn she saw some people in the flashbacks, or was she sleeping when Ben took Alex?

Technically speaking, and this is a poor narrative excuse, wouldn't the Smoke monster be waiting for Eko to provoke a crisis of faith on Locke so that he'd blow up the hatch? Because that was... somehow... key to this... plan.

In retrospect the Smoke Monster seems to have tested some of the individuals among the Losties, strong personalities but with some weakness or flaw he thought he could use for his own ends. Eko was one of them. Smokey used Mr. Eko's sense of guilt over the death of his brother and for the life he had led but in the end Eko did not repent or seek forgiveness and so could not be manipulated into killing Jacob. And thus he had outlived his usefulness and perhaps in frustration or pure anger Smokey killed him in the end. This is how I saw Eko's encounter with the Smokey. Another in the line of those people he wanted to use to kill Jacob.

Plus of course the writers did not know precisely what Smokey was at this point and the actor of Mr. Eko had other commitments so he had to be written out of the series.

But then again, there are things you notice that don't add up. Rousseau first tells Sayid that she knows there are Others but she has never seen them. Is that true up until this point? I could have sworn she saw some people in the flashbacks, or was she sleeping when Ben took Alex?

Plus, Ben told her to stay away from the whispers. Ben didn't really seem to know what they were, but if he did, why the hell would he tell her to stay away from them? It's just harmless spirits.

I actually had watched the season 2 finale with my friends which made me feel obligated to watch Lost in the first place before I saw the pilot, so I knew it was Desmond that had brought the plane down before I started. =/

On a side note, did we ever get a solid answer about wtf was going on with Mr. Krabs being the American general Sayid met and the guy who was with Desmond in the hatch? Or is that just one of the mysteries?

Just another mysterious connection between the main characters' lives. He started out in the U.S. military, then joined the DHARMA Initiative shortly before the Purge. And let us not forget that Sayid also met Kate's father during the war.

:o @ the video.

But if you want to get technical, the Smoke had a name. I mentioned it earlier, it's Samuel, they just decided to not reveal it in the show. BloodBoal, you have to look at the big picture. Sure they probably did not have every little detail mapped out in the beginning, but take into consideration that they made a huge decision to end the show in the middle of Season 3. Going, "Okay in 3 years we're done," and then working from there, dealing with the ever-rising problems of running a hit TV series like cast mishaps. Shit happens in real life, actors want to leave/do illegal stuff that they can't control. I recall them saying they had a wonderful character arc for Eko, but since he wanted off the show, they had to make adjustments.

Just another mysterious connection between the main characters' lives. He started out in the U.S. military, then joined the DHARMA Initiative shortly before the Purge. And let us not forget that Sayid also met Kate's father during the war.

You mean Jacob chose him? ;) Everyone who has been to the island after his arrival was brought by him.

Yes, of course. But those seemingly random, coincidental connections between the characters' lives are part of the mythological fabric of LOST, and I dunno if they can be fully explained by the fact that Jacob brought them all to the Island.