• 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star

First Question: Do you own the Always Original Soundtrack?

If yes, how would you rate it? What do you like/dislike about it?

I recently saw the Always Original Soundtrack (used, but in very good condition) being offered for 30 Euros (USD $37). Should I have gotten it? What do you think?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I give it 3 stars. "Follow Me" and "Dorinda's Solo Flight" are both fantastic. The rest of the score drags a lot.

If you're thinking of buying it, I will say that the MB in general doesn't seem to like this one very much.

There are about 3 tracks that are exceptional, "Follow Me", "Dorinda's Solo Flight" and "Saying Goodbye". The rest od the score is for one of those days when you want to take a nap and not have the music be obtrusive.

The songs I can do without. I think I gave it a 2 or 2.5.

I'd like to get this OST someday to complete my Williams collection, but I've never seen the movie and haven't heard much positive about the score so I'm not rushing out.

Don't own it. I think I have one track on the 40 years of music compilation. It starts like a piano piece, sounds allright. But I'm really more of a big, brassy, bombastic score fan anyway.

The theme's a bit underrated, I think, especially the version on the Spielberg/Williams collaboration. The OST is much nicer than what you might assume from this thread.

Williams at his unretrained peak, it's a slushy cheesefest, just like the movie. I haven't voted because I haven't heard the score for about fifteen years and so I don't feel I should vote.

I had to give it only a 4, since the question was about the "original soundtrack"... which to my mind included everything on the CD. I don't particularly care for any of the non-JW songs, apart from the Platters' "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"... and even that gets dinged because the beginning of it is a very harsh cut. Sounds like it's halfway into the first note, to me.

As for the score... I think it's some of the most beautiful music Johnny's ever done. I think partly because I'm attaching some personal memories to the score and the film, but I really hold this in very high esteem overall. There are some standout moments others have already mentioned, but for me, even the slower, less bombastic tracks really, really work for me in this one. Lovely stuff. I've never regretted buying this CD. It's funny, but usually I'm more into the big bold bombast stuff from him... Maybe it's because of my personal connections that I rate it so highly.

(If it was a question for just the score alone, I'd give it a 4.5... not quite a perfect 5, but very close, IMHO.)

I'm the one who voted 4.5 stars. The first time I heard this music I fell in love with it. It's got to be some of the warmest music Williams has ever composed. It may not have the gravitas of Empire, or Raiders, but it's simply beautiful. Love it.

I had to give it only a 4, since the question was about the "original soundtrack"... which to my mind included everything on the CD. I don't particularly care for any of the non-JW songs, apart from the Platters' "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"... and even that gets dinged because the beginning of it is a very harsh cut. Sounds like it's halfway into the first note, to me.

Yeah, what's up with that? Is the original recording like that, or is it just this album?

Personally, I think Always has some lovely moments, but it doesn't really stand out to me. It's one of the few Williams scores I own where I couldn't hum you a theme from it. But I don't listen to it very often, and I couldn't give a fair rating without hearing it again first.

I'm of the apparent minority, though, of people who love the film.

Yeah, what's up with that? Is the original recording like that, or is it just this album?

Personally, I think Always has some lovely moments, but it doesn't really stand out to me. It's one of the few Williams scores I own where I couldn't hum you a theme from it. But I don't listen to it very often, and I couldn't give a fair rating without hearing it again first.

I'm of the apparent minority, though, of people who love the film.

If memory serves, it's got a clean beginning on the American Graffiti soundtrack.

Welcome to the minority, I'm a fan of the film too! :o

I don't think the film deserves are the trashing it gets. It's not an amazing film, but it has a good amount going for it, and parts of it are really quite touching.

The theme's a bit underrated, I think, especially the version on the Spielberg/Williams collaboration. The OST is much nicer than what you might assume from this thread.

Yeah, I know the Spielberg/Williams version, which is great in a subtle way, and I even have the 2 tracks from the OS, "Dorinda's Flight" and "Follow me," which are so-so, IMHO.

I was just wondering whether I should get the OS album. So the rest of the tracks are nothing to write home about, huh?

I think I'll get it anyway... if nothing, for completeness' sake. But it's nice to hear all your opinions on this!

I don't think the film deserves are the trashing it gets. It's not an amazing film, but it has a good amount going for it, and parts of it are really quite touching.

I don't think it's a bad film, I think the main problem is that it was unnecessary. There wasn't anything special about it that it needed to be remade.

I love the part in Among the Clouds when Dorinda heads for the water.

Also, The Rescue Operation is very good. That's the scene where Dorinda takes the plane (although the film version of the takeoff is MIA).

Also, count me among the fans. I'm still awaiting the Blu-ray. At least in the early days of DVD we had all the "bad" Spielberg movies like this, Hook and the Jurassic Parks.