I wrote a letter to John Williams, will he end up reading it?

Zach

On here it gives an address where his agent or him or something like that will get it..do you really think he will end up reading my letter? And it's not exactly a fan letter either, it's a letter for suggestion.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent a letter to him awhile ago and received a signed photo and a typed Q&A with the maestro about 9 months after sending the letter. But my letter was requesting a signed photo, so I don't know if they vary responses based on what each letter is requesting/suggesting.

On here it gives an address where his agent or him or something like that will get it..do you really think he will end up reading my letter? And it's not exactly a fan letter either, it's a letter for suggestion.

Great, at the age of 78, with 5 Oscars on your shelf, you just love pondering suggestions of random fanboys.

I wrote to the great man once, it was a proper gushing fan letter. I was stunned when I received a reply from him about four weeks later. A yellow post it note, it read:

"FUCK YOU".

Harsh, I thought.

Sorry, but Nancy Knutsen (his former assistant, now an ASCAP member) has once mentioned that she had used to do all that mail things for JW, including replies. JW only did the signing.

I wrote him once and put down a concise letter where basically I congratulated him for his score to A.I. Artificial Intelligence, thanked him for all the joy he gave me through his music and for introducing me to great art music. After a few months, I received a reply from his assistant (Amelia), who thanked me for writing and said the Maestro received the letter and appreciated it. She said many times people writes to "ask something" to Williams, so it was quite refreshing to read something like my letter. Then, after a few months I received an autographed picture (which I didn't ask, so it was a great surprise) with a personal dedication from JW.

I think JW probably reads his fan mail, even though it's probably filtered by his assistants. If you write a nice, sincere and heartfelt letter (avoid being too gushing or worshipping), I'm sure he will likely read it.

I wrote him once and put down a concise letter where basically I congratulated him for his score to A.I. Artificial Intelligence, thanked him for all the joy he gave me through his music and for introducing me to great art music. After a few months, I received a reply from his assistant (Amelia)

To which address did you send it ? The Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency one ?

I have it on good authority that Mr Williams uses the back of letters sent to him, as scribble pads for score ideas that come to him when out and about, such as in Coffee Shops.

In fact, there exists a piece of scribbled notation for Close Encounters that was written on a letter which a young Joey sent to Mr Williams way back in the day.

I wrote him once and put down a concise letter where basically I congratulated him for his score to A.I. Artificial Intelligence, thanked him for all the joy he gave me through his music and for introducing me to great art music. After a few months, I received a reply from his assistant (Amelia), who thanked me for writing and said the Maestro received the letter and appreciated it. She said many times people writes to "ask something" to Williams, so it was quite refreshing to read something like my letter. Then, after a few months I received an autographed picture (which I didn't ask, so it was a great surprise) with a personal dedication from JW.

I think JW probably reads his fan mail, even though it's probably filtered by his assistants. If you write a nice, sincere and heartfelt letter (avoid being too gushing or worshipping), I'm sure he will likely read it.

Ohhh she sent me the exact same letter it seams. worded exactly the same - I don' t vthink he reads his letters from fans

I have it on good authority that Mr Williams uses the back of letters sent to him, as scribble pads for score ideas that come to him when out and about, such as in Coffee Shops.

In fact, there exists a piece of scribbled notation for Close Encounters that was written on a letter which a young Joey sent to Mr Williams way back in the day.

I'll make sure to put blank sheet music on the back of my letters.

You may even write on top of it: "Suggestion for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part II: ..."

There's someone at IMDb that wanted to send a letter like that XD