What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

It's a fantastic score. I only have Varese Sarabande re-recording (which is excellent) but still need the Intrada set. Completely forgot to buy it.

Karol

Goldsmith at his succint best. It is amazing how well he encapsulates the man and the myth with his tri-part theme, not to mention the effective economy of the scoring.

What I love about Patton is that it paints a portrait of this larger-than-life character with such minimal tools. It's a very quiet and contemplative score.

Karol

What I love about Patton is that it paints a portrait of this larger-than-life character with such minimal tools. It's a very quiet and contemplative score.

Karol

Yes there is appropriate amount of well placed sturm und drang marching but for the most part Goldsmith really hones in on other aspects of Patton and his psyche. Works very well in the film and is a cohesive and interesting listening experience.

THE TERMINAL (Williams)

Is this a popular score around here? I really enjoy it. I don't think the film's half-bad, either.

I think this one is fairly popular around these parts and features some absolutely first rate clarinet playing and a set of really wonderful feel good themes by the Maestro.

Alice is not longer here. You guys don't have to pretend you like that score anymore.

You are still here working as her proxy so we need to keep up the pretend.

Exodus: Gods and Kings - Alberto Iglesias, Harry Gregson-Williams, Federico Jusid

Interstellar - Hans Zimmer

The Da Vinci Code - Hans Zimmer

The Holy Trinity?

Why did you edit my post to capitalize the d in da? It shouldn't be capitalized.

Superman: The Movie - John Williams

Probably my favorite Williams besides Angela's Ashes

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams

I listened to the second and third Matrix scores tonight. Barring some obvious high points, these are much less interesting than I remember... nowhere near the level of the original. I'm not really a fan of Davis in extroverted, big harmonically familiar theme mode.

Too accessible? Not enough noise? Weak themes?

I have been promising myself to listen to the Matrix scores but never get around to do it. Might be because I have a complete disinterest in the movies so that might have affected subconsciously my attitude towards the scores.

I have been promising myself to listen to the Matrix scores but never get around to do it. Might be because I have a complete disinterest in the movies so that might have affected subconsciously my attitude towards the scores.

They don't play to Davis' strengths as much as the first one does. They're more bombastically blockbustery which is much less interesting to me than the psychological, deliciously modernist bent of the original, which is a true masterpiece of scoring.

Definitely don't bother with the second or third films either. But the first is very good.

This!

I listened to the second and third Matrix scores tonight. Barring some obvious high points, these are much less interesting than I remember... nowhere near the level of the original. I'm not really a fan of Davis in extroverted, big harmonically familiar theme mode.

There is really nowhere to go with that sound. Not if you aim for bigger canvas, anyway. You can only take that DNA of first "horror" film and filter it through different conventions. Which is what Davis did. Plus, the films don't really offer the same kind of opportunities for picture/music marriage in their prequel-like staging.

I can't disagree on the first score being mpst unique. The film is excellently spotted, too.

Karol - not a series fan, either

I think the second one is just as interesting as the first, with all the orchestra/techno blending going on. It's the third that can't keep up with the other two in my opinion. It's mostly a solid bombast Horner score, but Horner has written more interesting ones himself.

The Nutcracker by Pjotr Tchaikovsky (Valery Gergiev and the Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theater)

Enjoying this one, KK. At least you and I get it! Don't ask me why but 1:42-2:00 is the most Middle-Earthy thing Shore has written.

Preach brother!

For me it might be 2:54 - 3:40-ish.

Funny, cause the day I made that post, I shared this on youtube raving about it. And everyone thought I was crazy to think that such a "boring" cue was one of my favourites in the trilogy.

They don't play to Davis' strengths as much as the first one does. They're more bombastically blockbustery which is much less interesting to me than the psychological, deliciously modernist bent of the original, which is a true masterpiece of scoring.

Definitely don't bother with the second or third films either. But the first is very good.

I know what you mean. But those 2 sequels are blockbusters scores done RIGHT.

To his credit, Davis did try to give a different sound for each film. While my favourite is the first one two, I appreciate how he tried to blend more genres with the second score, and it still has stellar gems like the original Burly Brawl. The third one may fall a bit short with its full out blockbuster fantasy sound, but its still a score you've got to appreciate.

That, and I'm still a sucker for the second half of this cue, as Horner-ish as the whole thing may be:

About TTT... yeah I love that bit too. There are a lot of moments throughout these scores that hint at what the sound of The Silmarillion might be, they have a really... old feeling about them. There's great historical depth implied by the music at these points. It's similar to the Force theme at the start of Tales of a Jedi Knight. Hard to explain.

Yeah. The first film veers away from that sound, while the latter 2 scores are where Davis tries to instil that mythological quality to it (probably because of the direction the plot was taking). Those Wagnerian overtones, high harmonics, and that lovely minimalist motif...always does the trick!