What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Sounds like a trumpet harmon mute to me Sharky.

And Hirschfelder's score was one of my first, and still a personal favourite. Haunting stuff indeed.

I don't know, the overwhelming nature of the film's sound and bad press that followed it will probably play as minus points in the voters' eyes for Interstellar.

Meanwhile, both film and score have been lauded for Birdman, far more than Interstellar. Though I haven't seen or heard it yet :(

I know. Birdman is a superb film and score. I was referring to it when I said "It's deserving..."

Just personally saying I preferred Interstellar's experience. And the entire Birdman album is on YouTube. I posted it somewhere in one of these threads after I saw the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOfAu4OQVQ

Yeah, just some bad timing with the posts Koray.

And I don't think I'd appreciate the score until I've heard it in film. So I'll refrain from listening to the album till then. But thanks.

Ultimately I agree that I think Interstellar will probably end up being the most deserving candidate of the nominees (though that doesn't make it my favourite of the year).

I don't know, the overwhelming nature of the film's sound and bad press that followed it will probably play as minus points in the voters' eyes for Interstellar.

Meanwhile, both film and score have been lauded for Birdman, far more than Interstellar. Though I haven't seen or heard it yet :(

I've actually heard through the grapevine that the sound mixing stuff is being widely viewed as "laudably experimental" by Academy folks.

Is it? Hmm, interesting.

Still, I don't think Interstellar will go home with much gold. And Sanchez is where I'm placing my bets on for the Original Score race.

I know. Birdman is a superb film and score. I was referring to it when I said "It's deserving..."

Just personally saying I preferred Interstellar's experience. And the entire Birdman album is on YouTube. I posted it somewhere in one of these threads after I saw the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOfAu4OQVQ

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Karol

It's a uncompromising dissection of man's inhumanity towards himself! Can he become something more then the sum of his ambition. And if he does, does that leave his humanity behind?

Is he the bird or is he the man? Are we all potentially birds? As in the humanity being like an egg for the bird to hatch from?

Powerful stuff you will agree!

And surely the Birdman score will take its place alongside such Oscar winners as Star Wars, Omen, Schindler's List, Beauty and the Beast, Chariots of Fire, The Lion in Winter, Ben-Hur and Sunset Boulevard. It must have quite a drumming going on in the award circles.

Or in drum circles. Like the one Hans put together last year.

Hey, if even John Williams conducted the music in concert!

I said never forgive good sir! Good day! :pfft:

What lousy JW fans we are to get those two mixed up. And there in Sharky's avatar Johnny "The Pelvis" Williams is showing his famous hip moves from that very performance.

MALEFICENT (recording sessions)

While still suffering from overloud/undernourished action music, the complete version actually has a good deal more of the gorgeous melodic material and is heartily recommended to the kind of scroundrels who frequent sites with downloadf links to illegal recording sessions.

MALEFICENT (recording sessions)

While still suffering from overloud/undernourished action music, the complete version actually has a good deal more of the gorgeous melodic material and is heartily recommended to the kind of scroundrels who frequent sites with downloadf links to illegal recording sessions.

Oh don't encourage people to download illegal stuff pub. People might actually do what you suggest. And die hard scoundrels might already be well aware of such things. ;)

Don't speak of such things Drax! You will awaken The Thor! And then we are all done for!

I think the most substantial thing missing from the album was the actual opening.

Karol

With all the alternate versions it's a bit hard to tell. I noticed several interpolations of the central theme in cues longer than their OST coutnerparts (most notably in AURORA IN FAERIELAND) and think the OST could have done with less of the indifferent 2-minute cues and more of these versions.

I like the score, even if its pretty derivative in parts.

The "Bird of Prey" theme as you call it, is basically straight from Shostakovich, and there's lots of Holst going on around the score (though that isn't exactly new in film music is it?).

I agree with your review. Star Trek 6 is a very solid score, but one that does have a lot of meandering filler. The big battle cue has nice individual moments, but it never has the sustained excitement of lets say Battle Of The Mutara Nebula. As the films changes from the exteriors of the battle, to the scenes with the crew inside the Enterprise or Excelsior and then to the Khitomer conference and back to the battle etc the score constantly stops and starts so it never really gains momentum.

But his themes are excellent and the music for the sign off scene, complete with stellar use of the Alexander Courage theme and his end credits suite really is superb.

So we're at (roughly) the same point, you and I. You have to listen to The Final Frontier, though! It's great! And The Voyage Home is nice too. I think you'd like it.

Thoughts on the ones you've heard so far? (Even if it's just one word for each).

And your ranking?