What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Clever. You've removed the one you don't like rendering your apparent praise as a subtle simultaneous jab. You sly dog, you.

To be fair, I haven't listened to Interstellar all the way through on album. I might change my mind.

Naturally. I'm a known aficionado of the turgid, the emotionally homogenous, the boring, the nihilistic, the solipsistic, the scientifically inaccurate, the clumsily sentimental, the artistically not-quite-daring-enough. I revel in mediocrity, in the indefensible to any but fanboys, in the bleak and uninspired tepidity that is the state of contemporary creativity. I relish the soulless, artless menace of the Nolans, the Zimmers, the antipode of the good old days. I am a husk, a shell, a shade; ignorant, tasteless, and crude. I have turned on the Light: the 80s Williams box sets, the sacred, warm embrace of mutual masturbation before the golden idols of Indy and Star Wars. Rich thematic writing to guide me from dramatic point to dramatic point, safe in the hands of the Creators, no longer moves me. Proper color grading, non-shifting aspect ratios, acceptable, inter-musical-deity plagiarisms, the enriching ritual of Plot Holeing, I hold without value. How I am able to live, to persist from day to day is inexplicable. That my soul has not shriveled from lack of nourishment - nay, from devilish nourishment, is only thanks to the efforts of the Most Wise of JWFan, who remind me graciously through both direct intervention and impeccably-timed witty snark and satire of my failings should I ever give them cause.

My God, everytime I stop by, this post grows!

Looking forward to what I find next time!

The only good one in there is Star Trek.

Trim away the BORING stuff in the middle and it is OK. No score should have such a boring long release. The Vejur music is a death stroke to this soundtrack.

Trim away the BORING stuff in the middle and it is OK. No score should have such a boring long release. The Vejur music is a death stroke to this soundtrack.

That's what makes the OST an experience that rivals E.T. in its divine magnificence.

You will die for this!

You cannot pass! I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor! The dark fire will not avail you, Flame of V'ger! Go back to the shadow!

My dear Stiff. "Kids" really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a thousand posts, they can still surprise you.

Since I haven't got the film around here, the only way for me to celebrate Star Trek: The Motion Picture's 35th anniversary is by listening to that long, uninspired, badly performed and date score by hack Goldsmith! He couldn't even be bothered to write it all himself, sad bastard!

:music: Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Karol

Generations has moments of TV-ness but there's something incredibly appealing about its high points for me (which I think there are more of than most people would say), and I enjoy it more than the Horner, Rosenman, and Eidelman installments. Oh, and the Giacchinos.

There are two ways of looking at this score.

If you compare it to the previous Trek scores, especially the Goldsmith and Horner ones. It feels oddly different. Less thematic. Less epic in score.

If you however see this score as a motion picture extension of McCarthy's style of writing in The Next Generation, it suddenly feels a lot bigger.

Essentially thats what it is. It's less thematic then the previous Trek scores. But it's actually noteworthy that the score had reconcilable themes, since themes were largely verboten on TNG.

The classic Trek scores represent bigger version of the music of the original series. Big, thematic, adventurous, rousing. TNG's music became very different relying heavily on orchestral or synth ambiance, coloring, rhythm. Musically The Next Generation was 15 years ahead of Hollywood when it came to how the score was required to support the action or emotion. Be there, without drawing too much attention to itself or appear manipulative.

Generations is very much an extension of that philosophy. Though it HAS themes. It HAS a real choir. McCarthy is finally allowed to use percussion a bit more. I see this more as a The Next Generation score then a Star trek movie score, and on that level i really do adore it. It does a better job then the actual film of taking all the known elements of TNG but making them sound bigger and better.

Interesting that McCarthy is essentially a TV composer but managed to get a far bigger sound out of his score then Eidelman did for the 6th film. I personally think that on pure technical terms he's an excellent composer/orchestrator.

The score is quite strong in its second half, and also in its opening cues, but there is a big chunk (basically, from Picard's Message - Raid Post-Mortem to Prisoner Exchange) that I find rather bland. And which I'm sure is your favourite part. ;)

No I actually agree completely. But that second half does more for me than the entirety of, say, TSFS does, fine as that one is.

The Next Generation's trek begins with Star Trek: Generations

My favourite rendition of the Courage fanfare is Eidelman's. I do rather like some of the action writing in McCarthy's score. On the rare occasions when I listen to it, that always stands out more than I'd remembered. It seems quite Rosenman-ish in places.

What I'll never understand is the popularity of the Nexus christmas music. I find it nearly unbearably saccharine - like the scene itself in the film, and I've always assumed that's the point. I don't really enjoy it (but I don't think I'm supposed to).

As always, you have a knack for pointing out some of the best moments of these scores. But if I ever listen to them all, it'll be chronologically. Just can't go to the new ones after the old ones. Can't do it.

The end of The Tomb of the Steward is great too, even though it seems to have been written for a scene which definitely doesn't exist anywhere, in any version of the film.

Yeah, I may have made an error in that regard! I just can't bring myself to play AUJ now. RotK is just that emotionally draining, and it'll inevitably just make the shadow that these scores live in all the bigger.

My logic was that by doing so, it'd help me appreciate the little thematic easter eggs more in BotFA. But yeah, I probably won't be using that route in the future.

Yeah sure, but have you heard Generations?

No, but heard the Boal wasn't a fan.

The Return of the King (Complete Recordings) by Howard Shore

We come to it at last, the end of all things...for 10 years [....]

'scuse me for cutting the fat ;)

Just wanted to say that RotK has always been my favourite of all three (now 6) scores, and you pointed out why.

Also, Return of the King has by FAR the best setpiece scoring ever. PERIOD.

Huge pieces like Grace Of Undomiel, the whole Denethor/Lighting of the Beacons/Rohan sequence, the Pelennor battle, Shelob's Lair, The Black Gate Opens, The End of All Things ... this is some serious genius.

The end of The Tomb of the Steward is great too, even though it seems to have been written for a scene which definitely doesn't exist anywhere, in any version of the film.

What's this now?

What's this now?

Humor. It is a difficult concept.