What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Sometimes you have Horner days.

I know those.

The Battle of the Five Armies

Interstellar

The Lion King

Signs

Predator 2

A Christmas Carol

Karol - who likes Giacchino's Apes score quite a bit

Just listened to Varese's new Predator 2. Bloody awesome score. Some of the whingy FSMers have been complaining that the full score is a "slog" to get through, but action music doesn't get much more thrilling, suspenseful and ultimately satisfying than this.

To me, it's a benchmark in action music for movies. The following Predator related scores tried to mimic its bombast, but missed Silvestri's unique finesse.

DieHardWithAVengenceWeb.jpg

Die Hard with a Vengeance : Because the complete one can be a bit much I put together a 65 minute edit, which contains some of the most awesome music Kamen ever wrote (or adapted :P ). Totally enjoyable.

Inherent Vice (FYC) by Jonny Greenwood

The FYC treatment is criminal, and there's not a lot of music presented, but what is available is very good. Shasta's theme is beautiful stuff. I hope we get a full album soon.

Looking forward to hearing this in film.

The FYC treatment is criminal, and there's not a lot of music presented, but what is available is very good. Shasta's theme is beautiful stuff. I hope we get a full album soon.

Oh is it available on any award sites?

Karol

Greenwood's music fits PTA's films perfectly but I've never had a desire to listen to them on their own. Too avant-garde to make a good listening experience.

I really enjoyed The Master on album.

And Inherent Vice has much less, if any, of the avant-garde elements, at least on the FYC album. But still quite modernist in the writing. I think you'll enjoy this one.

Oh is it available on any award sites?

Karol

Not that I'm aware of.

But the whole thing is on youtube now.

Troy - Gabriel Yared

Inherent Vice - Jonny Greenwood

Interstellar - Hans Zimmer

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Howard Shore

Thor - Patrick Doyle

Star Trek: Insurrection - Jerry Goldsmith

Know I've posted this before but it's really excellent. Great for this time of the year... or any time of the year since I remember it suiting the summer very well too.

I heard Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from Home Alone 2 playing on the grocery store muzak, although it was interrupted several times by the intercom. No doubt, Ben Burtt was involved.

"If We Were in Love", the Father/Son material from Catch Me If You Can, "Sean" By Agatha and Rescuing Mother from Attack of the Clones. Jesus, this John Williams **** is getting too emotional for me. Pass me another Karl Strauss and the Kleenex.

SpaceCamp by John Williams: A Williams score I have only recently begun to appreciate more.

Tron Legacy

I want to love this score but I just can't get into it for some reason.

It's the best thing that Daft Punk have ever done.

I agree. I tried listening to some of their other albums but I just couldn't get into them. But TL has that right balance between smooth night club funk and standard filmic dramatics.

JFK by John Williams: I still think this is one of JWs finest scores. The contrast between the orchestral light and synthetic darkness is an excellent way to illustrate the story and makes for a compelling listening experience on its own and contains some very different music from the Maestro as he weds the sparse cold synthesizer sounds with the lowest reaches of the orchestra to create truly unsettling and suitably haunting sounds for this supreme murder mystery. Williams' flair for melody is here of course as every ounce of feeling he had for Kennedy seems to be infused in the noble and glowing Prologue piece further enhanced by the gloriously warm trumpet playing of Tim Morrison and he writes one of his most heartfelt elegies for Arlington.

While it is in line with Stone's incredibly onesided filmmaking, i still cringe when listening to the crystalline trumpets about to proclaim the arrival of a new american messiah - it is really one step short of Goldsmith's AFO theme and that was applied to what basically is a comic book movie.

And? The application of the theme is either relegated to montages of JFK or to Garrison pondering the heaviness of his quest. Both uses amplify Stone's dogmatic tendencies and i fail to see what a paranoid "liberal" movie like JFK could possibly gain by employing techniques that is traditionally used by reactionary forces. But i find JFK an impossible movie - at least if you know a bit about this part of american history.

It works better if you tru not to treat it as a historical reenactment. Like the works of Shakespeare about great historical characters should not be seen as an stage adaptation of history, but they do serve a larger truth.

No one ever bashes Henry V or Richard III because of its historic inaccuracies.

While it is in line with Stone's incredibly onesided filmmaking, i still cringe when listening to the crystalline trumpets about to proclaim the arrival of a new american messiah - it is really one step short of Goldsmith's AFO theme and that was applied to what basically is a comic book movie.

Even outside the film as pure music you cringe at JW's score?

It works better if you tru not to treat it as a historical reenactment. Like the works of Shakespeare about great historical characters should not be seen as an stage adaptation of history, but they do serve a larger truth.

No one ever bashes Henry V or Richard III because of its historic inaccuracies.

Yes I would definitely take this film along with something like Nixon with a large pinch of salt. It is one perspective on the story, nothing more.

You can't compare JFK to a fictionalized bard's play. It plays devil's advocate to several obviously false claims that were falsified even in 1991 and together with the score it misuses the cumulative power of the movies to distort history. This may not be the end of the world but i think Stone (and Williams) shouldn't be congratulated for such a stunt.

As for the music as such, there isn't much beyond 15 minutes of music of any shape to speak of (Prologue, Arlington, Motorcade, maybe the consiprators cue though i don't find it very compelling as listening experience).

Nixon is also a film I found deeply meaningful in that regard, despite its historical inaccurately. The fall of a flawed man, who should never have had the power he was given. Still consumed by his childhood uncertainty.

You can't compare JFK to a fictionalized bard's play. It plays devil's advocate to several obviously false claims that were falsified even in 1991 and together with the score it misuses the cumulative power of the movies to distort history. This may not be the end of the world but i think Stone (and Williams) shouldn't be congratulated for such a stunt.

And why is this so particularly heinous here and not in the bazillion other historically inaccurate films? If you want a documentary do a documentary. Movies are movies, fiction even when clothed in a framework of historical events.

NIXON is a good movie by comparison - because it never resorts to false hosiannas like JFK but it doesn't demonize Nixon to the extent that it becomes a smearing. The score is very delicate actually in that respect: the gothic stuff at the beginning is gradually humanized as the film becomes more introsepctive and understanding of Nixon the man.

NIXON is a good movie by comparison - because it never resorts to false hosiannas like JFK but it doesn't demonize Nixon to the extent that it becomes a smearing. The score is very delicate actually in that respect: the gothic stuff at the beginning is gradually humanized as the film becomes more introsepctive and understanding of Nixon the man.

So you basically think that Williams's portrayal of the feel of Kennedy's era is false. Many people had very rose colored glasses regarding the man back then as they didn't know of all his small indiscretions. I always think it is just an expression of the spirit of the time, not any way to distort reality or paint a glowing portrait of the man himself. JFK is not about the man, it is about his death.

And why is this so particularly heinous here and not in the bazillion other historically inaccurate films?

Because JFK acts much more as a 'journalistic' dossier than a simple action film - and i honestly don't know what bazillions of movies were made with such obvious distortions about a history landmark. Certainly not some lame-o action movie like the u-boat thing that claimed the enigma codebreaking machine was invented by americans.

So you basically think that Williams's portrayal of the feel of Kennedy's era is false. Many people had very rose colored glasses regarding the man back then as they didn't know of all his small indiscretions. I always think it is just an expression of the spirit of the time, not any way to distort reality or paint a glowing portrait of the man himself.

I don't know, as i said, if this uber-patriotic and sledgehammered approach that usually is used by the american right was the right way of catching that era.