What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I'm taking a temporary break. I want to finish my Middle-Earth marathon and lead up to BOFA so I can appreciate it more :)

:music:Grond - The Hammer of the Underworld

I don't think there's a single piece of film music that has badness and pure evil so well defined in 90 seconds...

I'm taking a temporary break. I want to finish my Middle-Earth marathon and lead up to BOFA so I can appreciate it more :)

I don't think there's a single piece of film music that has badness and pure evil so well defined in 90 seconds...

Not even The Defiler? ;)

The Defiler doesn't even come close to Grond!!

Man, I wish the BOFA battle cues had the huge sound that RotK has. Everything sounds so big! And those juicy brass performances...and people say they can't hear a difference between the NZSO and the LPO...ha!

Of course a huge part is also the beautiful wet recording versus the rather dry one.

:music: The Patriot

It took reading a scathing IMDB review to figure it out but I just realized that the main theme (the Amistad one) sounds a lot like "Oh Christmas Tree".

Not to be picky (OK, to be picky), but it's actually "O Christmas Tree" ("O" being an apostrophe).

7:25 - 8:01 in The Siege Of Gondor does it just fine for me!

Oh yes, that works very well indeed.

But still not as badass or succinctly summed up like Grond.

You're insane, so that's OK, I'm willing to let that one slide.

You're the crazy one I tell you!!

The way everything is blasting, with rhaita in full force just sounds maniacal here!

In honour of Finnish independence day I have an all-Sibelius playlist:

Finlandia

Karelia Music and Press Celebrations Music

The Violin Concerto

2nd Symphony

4th Symphony

The Lemminkäinen Suite

In honour of Finnish independence day I have an all-Sibelius playlist:

Finlandia

Karelia Music and Press Celebrations Music

The Violin Concerto

2nd Symphony

4th Symphony

The Lemminkäinen Suite

Man, you guys had some great music!

:lol: Thank you!

And BBoal, our president is obviously more awesome than I ever hoped he would be! We have that raptor riding hero photo as proof of that.

Where's The Hobbit? It's partially inspired by Finnish something-something. It must be!

Karol

OK I'll add the Battle of the Five Armies to the list. It has some Quenya connection to Finnish and hence Finland. Tolkien's homages to Finnish Kalevala are more in the Silmarillion though.

And BBoal, our president is obviously more awesome than I ever hoped he would be! We have that raptor riding hero photo as proof of that.

Is he as cool as the former mayor of Reykjavik?

Is he as cool as the former mayor of Reykjavik?

What has he done?

Man I had forgotten how awesome this Sibelius's violin Concerto just is.

Only being the coolest mayor in the world!

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-07-01/now-hes-now-longer-mayor-reykjavik-j-n-gnarr-can-restart-his-career-comedian-not

Yeah that's a good one.

Heh. Quite a character. But our president has a raptor! BBoal has photographic evidence!

Ooh is that what he hunts down all the bad guys on? Pretty badass.

He does so in secret because we have no reports of his heroic activities. He is so modest. And perhaps he has some kind of secret identity.

OK I'll add the Battle of the Five Armies to the list. It has some Quenya connection to Finnish and hence Finland. Tolkien's homages to Finnish Kalevala are more in the Silmarillion though.

Didn't "Gandalf" and some of the Dwarf names come from there, too?

It was awesome enough to be used as the introduction music to Cloud City.

Didn't "Gandalf" and some of the Dwarf names come from there, too?

Gandalf comes from the Poetic Edda (Gandalfr). He is one of the dwarves in the long list along with most of the dwarve names in the Hobbit. ;)

However Tolkien too some central elements to the story of Túrin from Kalevala, specifically the story of Kullervo.

61w%2BCBBcyoL.jpg

Thanks to my unflagging espresso machine i completed the thankless annual (sc)hore of wading again through hours of seemingly neverending HOBBIT music. The third entry - at 110 minutes the shortest, or it seems - like its predecessors only breaks records in sheer quantity though it is, from the three scores, the easiest on the ears. Shore mainly plays with his few themes and motifs from this series (the dragon theme has some welcome cameos) but also sprinkles the score with old acquaintances like the Shire/Fellowship theme or the purposeful nature theme.

There is, due to the finality of the situation, more pathos and mindful reflection that allows for more broad and emotional writing and in between the expected Wagnerian sturm und drang (business as usual, sheer loudness covers for inspiration) there also is, very infrequently, a moment of beauty or interesting orchestral color that reminds us what instrumental and thematic variety the old LOTR series had.

All in all still 50 minutes from a well-organized soundtrack album and you never know where something good might arise in between a molassic sea of minor-mode swathes or blustering choral grandstanding. It's on par with the first while lacking the great theme this one had but builds on the more inconspicuous themes Shore cooked up for the second part.

The song, a minor play on MAY IT BE, is irritating and not very memorable, either.

Naturally. I'm a known aficionado of the turgid, the emotionally homogenous, the boring, the nihilistic, the solipsistic, the scientifically inaccurate, the clumsily sentimental, the artistically not-quite-daring-enough. I revel in mediocrity, in the indefensible to any but fanboys, in the bleak and uninspired tepidity that is the state of contemporary creativity. I relish the soulless, artless menace of the Nolans, the Zimmers, the antipode of the good old days. I am a husk, a shell, a shade; ignorant, tasteless, and crude. I have turned on the Light: the 80s Williams box sets, the sacred, warm embrace of mutual masturbation before the golden idols of Indy and Star Wars. Rich thematic writing to guide me from dramatic point to dramatic point, safe in the hands of the Creators, no longer moves me. Proper color grading, non-shifting aspect ratios, acceptable, inter-musical-deity plagiarisms, the enriching ritual of Plot Holeing, I hold without value. How I am able to live, to persist from day to day is inexplicable. That my soul has not shriveled from lack of nourishment - nay, from devilish nourishment, is only thanks to the efforts of the Most Wise of JWFan, who remind me graciously through both direct intervention and impeccably-timed witty snark and satire of my failings should I ever give them cause.