What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Interstellar (FYC) by Hans Zimmer

Great stuff.

Yeah, but dont you think the emotional effect is stiffled by the lack of developmental variation of Zimmers thematic material? And that the relative stagnant nature of the stylistic tone only further lessens the effect of the music on repeated listens?

;)

I don't know. I have heard it only once.

That won't stop. TGP would give his life for Zimmer and Nolan! ;)

And what about you? You were a fool to post that review of Interstellar. At least Steef was positive about it in his. You're screwed!!

sbyamatofront350x2.jpg20081022-07%20Frankenstein.jpg

Yamato is a full symphony old-school score with grand themes and gorgeous choral contributions. Check it out if you haven't... it's excellent! :rock:

Frankenstein, along with Henry V, my favourite from Doyle. His early style was so classy and unique. That beautiful love theme? It's to die for. ;)

The Five Sacred Trees by John Williams

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith by John Williams

War of the Worlds by John Williams

El Cid (Tadlow re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Special Edition) by Howard Shore

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith by John Williams

War of the Worlds by John Williams

El Cid (Tadlow re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Special Edition) by Howard Shore

Two scores I love, and one I like, but prefer another recording.

I think Tadlow's El Cid is splendid even though they decided to choose to emulate the old fashioned recording techniques for the release to give it an ambience closer to the original or something like that.

I think Tadlow's El Cid is splendid even though they decided to choose to emulate the old fashioned recording techniques for the release to give it an ambience closer to the original or something like that.

Personally, my problem is that it sounds a little more "generic epic" and less "Spanish epic" if you know what I mean.

yesjacknicholson.gif

The first John Williams "serious" concert piece I ever heard and still ranks among the best after all these years. I love how broadly Williams showcases the bassoon in the concerto but returns ever to the lyrical sonorities of the instrument. I find it a quite well rounded piece with wonderful contrasting movements but the more ruminative and haunting ones, Eo Rossa and Dathi, are my favourites.

Personally, my problem is that it sounds a little more "generic epic" and less "Spanish epic" if you know what I mean.

Yes I know what you mean. For me there is enough zest without too much flamboyancy on top of what is already there.

yesjacknicholson.gif

The first John Williams "serious" concert piece I ever heard and still ranks among the best after all these years. I love how broadly Williams showcases the bassoon in the concerto but returns ever to the lyrical sonorities of the instrument. I find it a quite well rounded piece with wonderful contrasting movements but the more ruminative and haunting ones, Eo Rossa and Dathi, are my favourites.

The first movement is my favorite. Great accretion of material/climax. And rather Tolkien-esque in a way. And don't neglect the rest of the album, especially the lovely Tobias Picker piece.

The first movement is my favorite. Great accretion of material/climax. And rather Tolkien-esque in a way.

it is quite stunning and there is sort of slow building joy in that movement finally released at the end. And it is indeed Tolkienesque. I have always thought it would make for perfect underscore to a slow visual exploration of the magnificence of a gigantic oak from roots to the highest boughs. To me Williams really captures the mythic dimension of trees with this work and the music conjures very powerful and haunting images with or without the programmatic frame.

Interstellar

Preparing to release my analysis. Though I suspect people will be more intrigued by the "coming soon" announcement that will conclude the post than this installment itself.

The Visitor (Kaczmarek)

A small chamber score that remains determinedly aloof even as Richard Jenkins's character slowly thaws over the course of the film. Unlike Unfaithful, which telegraphs the coming pathos from the opening cue, or Finding Neverland, which works overtime to conjure an unremitting atmosphere of enchantment, here Kaczmarek registers the drama in a decidedly more reserved fashion, piano and strings seemingly keeping to a studied whisper. Piano etudes bookend the score, with the second piece ever so slightly more buoyant and carefree, as the invisible shackles that had repressed Jenkins fall away.

Sith.

Well Sith happens. To be a good score that is.

Concerto for Cello and Orchestra by John Williams: Holds place in the top 3 of JWs concert pieces. The Yo-Yo Ma recording is both nuanced and powerful, lyrical yet robust and again as it should be Williams showcases the instrument's and instrumentalist's faculties to the full but his music remains nearly always highly accessible and downright beautiful. All movements have their moments but the opening one (Theme and Cadenza) and the finale (Song) are brilliant, the former in its sheer muscular athleticism and the latter for its supreme lyricism.

cd_hellboy-bootleg.jpgMI0001747927.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Hellboy: though I'm generally not a fan of the guy's style, I admit, for this Beltrami put out all the stops: it has themes, some of them which are very good, and it's even plain awesome from time to time.

I'm listening to a shortened playlist my brother put together from the complete bootleg. Marco and we deserve this one to be released.

The Postman: I really believe this score to be superior to Wyatt Earp, IMO it's one of JNH's most memorable and rousing scores.

I've seen the film again recently and the album doesn't do it justice,. There's a ton of great material left off it so I'll pick up an expansion in a heartbeat. But minus the songs please. :)

Just got done listening to a few selections from Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (I know it's not film music, but I still found it interesting).

"Chain of Fates" in particular has an orchestration and chord progression that resembles something composed by Danny Elfman.

City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith

Sleeping with the Enemy by Jerry Goldsmith

Love Field by Jerry Goldsmith

Capricorn One by Jerry Goldsmith

Just got done listening to a few selections from Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls (I know it's not film music, but I still found it interesting).

"Chain of Fates" in particular has an orchestration and chord progression that resembles something composed by Danny Elfman.

:thumbup:

That list is missing a very important score Inky, and you know what it is.

You got me! L.A. Confidential!

That list is missing a very important score Inky, and you know what it is.

You got me! L.A. Confidential!

What made you think you could hide it from us!

But don't worry, I approve :)

Don Davis' Jurassic Park III. Dare I say parts are better than the whole. It does the job I suppose. Brachiosaur on the Bank and Dinosaur Fly-by are my favourites, Tiny Pecking Pteranondons [sic] honourable mention. The militaristic JP theme at the end makes me cringe. Must be an inner ear problem.

Got my eyes on the Batman '66 OST from Lala. Tis is the season to be jolly.

Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

One of hte days I was working remotely last week, I decided to listen to Interstellar, and I listened to the complete program from the FYC site (I added the missing tracks from the OST). I must say, it's a FAR FAR better presentation than the OST presentation. Zimmer did a poor job of picking the highlights for this one. I could easily make a better 70 minute program of the score that covers all the important stuff. Some essential tracks aren't even on the Deluxe Edition.

John Williams - Superman

OK, you know how I've said often that this score just doesn't do it for me, and that while I like everything up through Fortress of Solitude just fine, it kind loses me after that? Well, my opinion may finally be changing. I just loved some of the stuff I heard later in the CD, like Helicopter Sequence and Chasing Crooks. Wow!

Michael Giacchino - Lost Season 4

Good stuff! Love that Oceanic Six theme! (I guess I'm supposed to call it the Home Theme now, but it'll always be the O6 theme to me!

Howard Shore - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Lots of good stuff here, but sadly PJ didn't make a film that allows Shore to pay off some of the great stuff he set up in the first score. Oh well.

Together with Jaws, Superman is the most underrated Williams score!

Oh the martydom of classics.

I really don't see you making laudatory comments about these classic scores Drax, like totally like ever. Nothing about Supes or Jaws. Not a single praising sentence. I begin to wonder where do your loyalties lie?

I really don't see you making laudatory comments about these classic scores Drax, like totally like ever. Nothing about Supes or Jaws. Not a single praising sentence. I begin to wonder where do your loyalties lie?

Their magnificence is self evident.