What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Because you're useless, that's why!

Oy! Shut ya filthy mouth, you filthy... filthy... Whatever!

Don't forget to listen to Camelot on your Danna Bros marathon. Some nice music in there.

Never heard of this one. Samples sound nice. Will check it out. Thanks!

Karol

Kamen's 101 Dalmatians.

My God I'd forgotten how much I used to absolutely adore this music when I was a kid. And now I think it's even more brilliant than before. Beautifully played and with some exquisite orchestrations and melodies, it's now among by top Kamen scores, I love it.

The 101 Dalmatians music of my childhood was written by George Bruns...

Yea, Batman is a great score!

Batman Returns is even better :)

I should hope so, as I just ordered the new set, although I'm not a big fan of the first score (beside the theme) and I've never heard the sequel.

The 101 Dalmatians music of my childhood was written by George Bruns...

I adore Burns' work, particularly on Jungle Book, and I think his score for 101 Dalmatians is one of his finer works for Disney, but I slightly prefer Kamen's version a little more. It's that orchestra man, although Kamen doesn't got any cue in his score that reaches the intensity of the final chase music; although the remake doesn't either.

I was also listening to his wonderful Bodysong score. The track Convergence was used in There Will Be Blood (the infamous percussive piece) and be heard around 15:07 mark:

http://youtu.be/qyG3yg5Rt_M

Karol

This sounds good! Will have to check it out.

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by Howard Shore. 6 hours 21 minutes. Exhausting but satisfying. Feels more Tolkien than movies, definitely.

Karol

Yes. At least you can in your mind's eye return to a much more satisfying depiction of Middle-earth with this music.

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by Howard Shore. 6 hours 21 minutes. Exhausting but satisfying. Feels more Tolkien than movies, definitely.

Karol

Yes. At least you can in your mind's eye return to a much more satisfying depiction of Middle Earth with this music.

It's Middle-earth!

Howard Shore himself corrected me on that! ;)

Karol

Karol

Yes. At least you can in your mind's eye return to a much more satisfying depiction of Middle Earth with this music.

It's Middle-earth!

Howard Shore himself corrected me on that! ;)

Karol

Ah gotcha. My one small but frequent typo when The Lord of the Rings is concerned, a pretty basic one at that. Fixed! :P

Shores love and dedication to Tolkien is so great that he will spend his whole life correcting people!

Bless him for that!

In Polish it's one word "Śródziemie" (which is a literal translation). We don't ever really use hyphens in our language. So it never occured to me it should be written like that. Always thought it was Middle Earth (sorry, Howard Shore!).

Karol

In Polish it's one word "Śródziemie" (which is a literal translation). We don't ever really use hyphens in our language. So it never occured to me it should be written like that. Always thought it was Middle Earth (sorry, Howard Shore!).

Karol

It is also just one word in Finnish as we do tend to have a lot of compound words, which often accounts for the mistakes of Finns writing words together in English where those are much rarer. It is "Keski-Maa" in Finnish, a very literal translation of the word Middle-earth

Don't apologize to Shore but to Tolkien!

He apologised for apologising, yes. ;)

(No, he didn't)

Karol

It is also just one word in Finnish as we do tend to have a lot of compound words, which often accounts for the mistakes of Finns writing words together in English where those are much rarer. It is "Keskimaa" in Finnish, a very literal translation of the word Middle-earth

"Keskimaa" sounds very Temple of Doom!

And, Tolkien is dead. Unless some Necromancer will decide to summon him, that is. ;)

Karol

He apologised for apologising, yes. ;)

(No, he didn't)

Karol

It is also just one word in Finnish as we do tend to have a lot of compound words, which often accounts for the mistakes of Finns writing words together in English where those are much rarer. It is "Keskimaa" in Finnish, a very literal translation of the word Middle-earth

"Keskimaa" sounds very Temple of Doom!

And, Tolkien is dead. Unless some Necromancer will decide to summon him, that is. ;)

Karol

Actually sorry it is Keski-Maa. Oh man it has been a while since I read anything related to Tolkien in Finnish. :lol:

And that goes really against our linguistic compound word rules. The translator obviously wanted it to make it stand out with both words beginning with a capital letter.

:music: Birth of a Penguin - Main Title from Batman Returns

Do various Finnish translations have different names to characters and places as well? There was this one in Polish done in late 90's that had everything translated, from Tolkien's English to Slavic setting. People hated it but it was an interesting exercise.

Karol

Let us continue this conversation in the other Tolkien threads shall we gentlemen. ;)

Do various Finnish translations have different names to characters and places as well? There was this one in Polish done in late 90's that had everything translated, from Tolkien's English to Slavic setting. People hated it but it was an interesting exercise.

Karol

There is only one translation of The Lord of the Rings, so good that is has stood the test of time and is really well done. The names remain the same but are given a Finnish guise for pronounciation e.g. Samwise Gamgee is Samvais Gamgi. Names which have a translatable counterpart are translated like Baggins becomes Reppuli (in Finnish "reppu" is a "bag" or a "backpack"). The Hobbit has gotten two translations, the first one is quite bad as it tries too hard to be whimsical but the second one was done by the same person who translated the LotR, which of course brings everything into line.

The Dutch translation has also stood the test of time, but I believe Tolkien was not happy with it.

I've skimmed through it and it's pretty awful. Especially the Hobbit parts. Their rural speech has been turned into a very childish kind of talking.

Our original translation from 1960's is still considered to be the best one. The 1998 one is widely despised (I find it interesting) so the same guy had another go and went back to original names in the one coinciding with the release of film trilogy. Not sure how that went.

Karol

There is only a one minor mistake in the translation of Finnish LotR I remember, which is translating of Witch-King's mace as a battle axe, which I found very funny when I finally read the English original. :P

Oh and there is another minor mistake of translating on the map Ered Mithrim as Mountains of Shadow when it is The Grey Mountains and this stayed in the map for a very long time.

In Finnish translation not many place names in Tolkien's own languages were translated but places like The Shire and Isengard were. Rivendell, which is actually English meaning "a cloven valley" is not translated but remains in that guise in the Finnish version.

Did they also translate the names of places in your language? Like Rivendell, for example.

Well Rivendell was translated into Tajar (I have no idea what that means), Baggins was translated into Bagosz, Shire into Włość (which makes sense). Strider was translated into Łazik, dwarves were turned into krzaty.

Karol

The translation of the Lord of the Rings actually affected the Finnish language as the translator mistakenly used "haltia" for "elf" when the correct form would be "haltija", which means "a spirit of nature" or "protector spirit of a house" or an elf of folk tales with connotation like a fairy or sprite or pixie or gnome. Haltia was consistently used in LotR and became to denote specifially Tolkien's elves and was officially adopted as an accepted form into Finnish language some time ago. :)

The translation of the Lord of the Rings actually affected the Finnish language as the translator mistakenly used "haltia" for "elf" when the correct form would be "haltija", which means "a spirit of nature" or "protector spirit of a house" or an elf of folk tales with connotation like a fairy or sprite or pixie or gnome. Haltia was consistently used in LotR and became to denote specifially Tolkien's elves and was officially adopted as an accepted form into Finnish language some time ago. :)

Same with German, where the Elves were translated as "Elben" instead of the regular "Elfen" (which is heavily associated with the fairy/pixie kind). At least I think it was the original LOTR translation that introduced the term. And here as well there was a new translation in the 90s which was pretty horrid.

I would not consider Shore's scores a close fit to the book in any way.

That's probably why I find it so hard to find access to them. They don't match the book, but I barely remember the films (I've only seen each of them once), so there's very little context to the music. Which in Shore's case I consider extremely important.

It's also Moby-Dick and Ben-Hur, although it's rarely spelled correctly.

In German, hyphens are very common, but people using spaces instead are just as common, even though that's incorrect.

Moby-Dick

And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.