What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Family Plot

Black Sunday

(I need to make a little break here and say the two above are absolutely superb, the first one is climbing the Karol's ladder of popularity fast.)

I just took another listen to Family Plot and I have to say that it is really in the same league as all the Maestro's work during that period. Same goes for the gripping and obsessive Black Sunday, which is a different kind of suspense score altogether, more taut and less fun than Family Plot that relishes in the melodramatics and humour but often walks a fine line between them. Murder can indeed be fun. Williams really had a stellar run during that decade and that one year 1977 specifically, scoring Black Sunday, Star Wars and Close Encounters.

Presumed Innocent

Wonderfully evocative listen.

Subdued but not restrained. The 80's synth actually benefit the score rather then make it feel corny.

Yes the synths work very well in the atmospheric way they are used. Even the little synth touches in the concert version of the theme are just right, something none of the re-recordings have succeeded in capturing in an entirely satisfying way.

I have had the theme playing in my head all morning. I should take a listen to the score today to exorcise it. :)

Not sure if homeopathy works...

Karol

In the case of music it works for me. I wouldn't want to call Father Merrin or some other Catholics to deal with a persistent earworm. ;)

It also works the other way because I was listening to the Missouri Break on my way to work this morning and now I have got the Train Robbery cue stuck in my head all morning as well. Catchy stuff.

Saving Private Ryan: I might have said it several times before, but this score gets more and more impressive with each listens. One of those rare John Williams beasts (next to Rosewood,The Missouri Breaks and War of the Worlds) that, for the most part, is completely devoid of his apparent (and now much hated) sentimentality. An exercise of economy and restraint. One of the best examples is Wade's Death - I don't know if Williams ever captured despair better than here: no melodrama or lamentation, just pure bleakness. I really like the more raw and bare-sounding recording of this score. And, of course, hymnal piece is one of his finest peaces of music of the 90's and maybe even the whole latter part of his career. It's a grower, this one.

:music:Rosewood - Incanus' playlist

Karol

Saving Private Ryan: I might have said it several times before, but this score gets more and more impressive with each listens. One of those rare John Williams beasts (next to Rosewood,The Missouri Breaks and War of the Worlds) that, for the most part, is completely devoid of his apparent (and now much hated) sentimentality. An exercise of economy and restraint. One of the best examples is Wade's Death - I don't know if Williams ever captured despair better than here: no melodrama or lamentation, just pure bleakness. I really like the more raw and bare-sounding recording of this score. And, of course, hymnal piece is one of his finest peaces of music of the 90's and maybe even the whole latter part of his career. It's a grower, this one.

:music:Rosewood - Incanus' playlist

Karol

Very well put Karol. I also love the rather subtle interplay of the soloists in the orchesta, e.g. the bassoon, the flute, trumpets and horns. There is quiet dignity in the music that both serves the story and provides very solid Americana accompaniment to the images yet it avoids being overly sentimental. This is also a score that rewards attentive listening as much that is going on is in the textures and solos. For those wanting hummable melodies and quick satisfaction and thrills it really isn't the perfect choice.

I would imagine it does. I have only heard a version with the choir live. But I actually really like the almost screaming choral crescendo quite a bit. Gives a very appropriate grieving edge to the piece, almost as if the sorrow expressed was too rending and piercing. Same goes for the very striking opening of Gloria from Monsignor.

I would imagine it does. I have only heard a version with the choir live. But I actually really like the almost screaming choral crescendo quite a bit. Gives a very appropriate grieving edge to the piece, almost as if the sorrow expressed was too rending and piercing. Same goes for the very striking opening of Gloria from Monsignor.

A hymn typically denotes praise and joy; I've always assumed that the piece was celebratory, with an appropriately solemn (not somber) undertow.

A hymn typically denotes praise and joy; I've always assumed that the piece was celebratory, with an appropriately solemn (not somber) undertow.

I have always felt it is a very solemn tribute to those who lost their lives in WWII but that particular section of the work seems to me represent the aching sorrow amidst the joy even though the hymn is written to honour these men and women and to be a kind of benediction to them.

This.

I have always felt it is a very solemn tribute to those who lost their lives in WWII but that particular section of the work seems to me represent the aching sorrow amidst the joy even though the hymn is written to honour these men and women and to be a kind of benediction to them.

Should have been called "Lament to The Fallen" then.

It's Steef, not Stef!

Exactly! Thank you Steffie! Or should I say Stephanos.

Tried to listen to The Lone Ranger last night, but it quickly got on my nerves - and the obnoxious extended Rossini adaptation turned out to be a final nail to its coffin. Not my cup of tea. I actually prefer Man of Steel to this.

Karol

Egads, the cue wasn't that bad.

In fact I'm almost tempted to buy it for that one particular piece. But then I've always loved that one particular passage in the Overture.

It's ok, but 10 fucking minutes?

Karol

Its a stinking Finale, almost every Finale is that long, or longer, for example, ET, Star Wars, Far and Away, Temple of Doom, Hook etc.

Yes, but not Wilhelm Tell overture. Can't stand more than 2 minutes of this.

Karol

Only 2 Minutes are William Tell, the rest is Zimmer's theme, in the same tempo and style.

Oh sorry I grew up to call it Wilhelm. Different language, you see. ;)

But we should call it Guglielmo Tell, for that is the original name, isn't it?

Anyway, I got what you said, but that piece annoys me.

Karol

Yes, but not Wilhelm Tell overture. Can't stand more than 2 minutes of this.

Karol

Only 2 Minutes are William Tell, the rest is Zimmer's theme, in the same tempo and style.

Actually it's around 5 minutes. The first 3 minutes and last minute are the Overture and in between there's probably a minute or so worth.

Zimmer's theme appears at the 4:42 to 4:56 mark and again at the 7:00 to 7:30 or so mark.

I'm listening to Black Gold again. This is indeed a very fine James Horner score. It has this nice but subtle Lawrence of Arabia vibe - not too melodramatic, but still old-fashioned enough. What separates it from other works of its composer is significantly more intimate and small scale of most of it - a refreshing deviation. Album is just about of perfect length. Might be in fact one of his finest in this type of a genre (at least on album).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPG-e4vMugM

Karol

Into the West and Broke Sky. Latest delivery from LLL.

I'd already compiled a 55 minute set for Into the West on spotify, weeding out the duller parts, and what's left is some very memorable material. It really opens up the more I listen, because there are many lengthy themes, which receive often subtle quotations.

Broke Sky is a mostly synth score, with some live solo instruments. It's taken me a few listens (and at loud volume) to appreciate, but it's a nice, functional score, which manages to rely more on rhythm than melodies (if there's a theme in this score, I'm not hearing it) and still be interesting.

I'm listening to Black Gold again. This is indeed a very fine James Horner score. It has this nice but subtle Lawrence of Arabia vibe - not too melodramatic, but still old-fashioned enough. What separates it from other works of its composer is significantly more intimate and small scale of most of it - a refreshing deviation. Album is just about of perfect length. Might be in fact one of his finest in this type of a genre (at least on album).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPG-e4vMugM

Karol

It's great, enjoyable stuff!

The Pines of Rome (Pini di Roma) by Ottorino Respighi.

The Fountains of Rome (Fontane di Roma) by Ottorino Respighi

Not exactly film scores but certainly evokative and filmic in their own programmatic way, masterfully orchestrated, beautiful and melodious and full of intricate orchestral colours and details that I simply adore.

Oh sorry I grew up to call it Wilhelm. Different language, you see. ;)

But we should call it Guglielmo Tell, for that is the original name, isn't it?

Anyway, I got what you said, but that piece annoys me.

Karol

For shame! Best score of the Summer.

I'm surprised by all the positive reception to the Lone Ranger score. It has some nice moments, but overall, a pretty 'meh' kind of 3-star score.