What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Jurassic Park - John Williams

One of my favorite isolated JW moments.

I think the word "haunting" was invented for just such a moment. I love the chilling evocation of innocence where Williams disguises the fact that it is actually the 4-note carnivore motif we are hearing there.

One of my favourite cues from that score is the Raptor kitchen scene. It's dark, but fun.

Karol

Oh it used to give me the creeps when I first heard it. Great stuff. Williams hasn't done something quite like that since.

The meandering piano is what does it for me. Totally otherworldly.

Otherworldly and gives the soundscape another layer of that crystalline luminous quality if there can be said to be something like that in music form.

The meandering piano is what does it for me. Totally otherworldly.

Otherworldly and gives the soundscape another layer of that crystalline luminous quality if there can be said to be something like that in music form.

Exactly how I would describe it too. So there must be!

What's the closest thing to chronological order for this score?

You can find ample info on it here.

Zubin Mehta Star Wars suite (AKA CInema Gala: Star Wars/Close Encounters). I think the performance is pretty awesome and the recording is astonishing. Sounds just like you're hearing it in person.

It's mostly very good, but I hate his extreme accelerando during the main titles bridge. Makes it sound like circus music.

One of my favourite cues from that score is the Raptor kitchen scene. It's dark, but fun.

Karol

Oh it used to give me the creeps when I first heard it. Great stuff. Williams hasn't done something quite like that since.

There's some stuff in A.I. that's pretty haunting. e.g. Replicas.

The Rocketeer - James Horner

I don't worship it like others do here, but several cues are just great fun. "The Flying Circus" and "Rocketeer to the Rescue - End Title" in particular. Shame the movie didn't get a sequel, would've loved to hear Horner develop and expand it further.

For all tired of the old Williams march or despise Hans' MOS, there's still a SUPERMAN symphony by Michael Daugherty that has plenty of entertainment value (if you have the stomach for people who don't get ear cancer from listening to more classical musical forms:

Once the Perseverance re-release of the LP sells out, LLL will hopefully release a 2CD set containing the full film score plus the LP re-recording in one package.

Me too. I currently own neither release because I'm waiting for a set like that.

Me too. I currently own neither release because I'm waiting for a set like that.

I have both, but the one I usually listen to is the album version.

The Rocketeer - James Horner

I don't worship it like others do here, but several cues are just great fun. "The Flying Circus" and "Rocketeer to the Rescue - End Title" in particular.

It's also a great sounding recording.

AN AMERICAN TAIL: FIEVEL GOES WEST - James Horner

Has the distinction of being the only Horner sequel score that manages to be more than limp repackaging of part one (Zorro sequel comes second). Don Bluth's lively mouse world gives Horner a broad canvas ranging from WEST SIDE STORY-quotes (CAT RUMBLE) to Morricone pastiche, his patented russian mannerisms (Fievel theme) to Copland/Moross-styled western themes. The whole thing is fun and quick on its feet, with brilliant LSO playing and blessed with one of Horner's throbbing schmaltz ballads (hear above the good 'ole Linda Ronstadt belting her heart out) - actually derived from a short sub-theme from part one. Why oh why you left animation, James??

I'll buy that for a dollar!

I would pay more than a dollar but a double disc of original tracks and the LP would be most welcome. :)

Amazing Stories by John Williams & Georges Delerue: Varese Sarabande packages two very contrasting episode score re-recordings on this album which works as a sort of a sampler to the music of the show at large. Williams' now legendary The Mission score is emotional, exciting, in turn tender and bold and culminates in a magnificent 11 minute tense and finally triumphant tour-de-force of Jonathan Begins to Draw and The Landing where nail-biting tension gives away to soaring evocations of flight and power of imagination and faith. Joel McNeely conducts the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and the performance is energetic and balanced. The size of RSNO compared to the original episode scoring session ensemble (e.g. 66 for The Mission as mentioned on the Intrada 2007 release of the original tracks) gives this performance naturally bigger dimensions than the original recording has but it is actually fascinating to have and listen to both as there are merits in both versions.

Georges Delerue's short and intimate episode score for Dorothy and Ben on the other hand is the very essence of subtlety and tenderness, blessed with the composer's indelible sense of orchestration and melody, growing from slightly ominous beginnings into a rhapsodic 6 minute finale where the composer unleashes the full emotional power of the orchestral forces at his disposal, the lyrical main theme imbued with such genuine human warmth and yearning rarely rising above a gentle musical whisper but packing a big emotional wallop. John Debney conducts this selection, which is lovingly performed by the above said orchestra.

The album is book ended by John Williams's now famous main and closing themes, both exciting, evocative and darn infectuous, full of that magical 1980's film music spirit.

You know, I've never heard that re-recording of Amazing Stories, only the originals on the Intrada volumes. I'll have to check it out.

Last scores I listened to were

John Carter by Michael Giacchino - Still a fun score with great, long-line themes

Godzilla by Alexandre Desplat - Fun and well-crafted, but a bit overbearing since the OST CD is all action tracks, for the most part. Surely the complete score has more balance.

You know, I've never heard that re-recording of Amazing Stories, only the originals on the Intrada volumes. I'll have to check it out.

I highly recommend it! :)

Godzilla goes Hollywood! David Arnold vs. Alexandre Desplat (with a guest appearance from Michael Giacchino, as well).

Karol

Godzilla goes Hollywood! David Arnold vs. Alexandre Desplat (with a guest appearance from Michael Giacchino, as well).

Karol

Hmmm I'll try that playlist too tonight. :)

Well, it sounds the most like the old Godzilla. At least the bits I heard from it. Arnold did a massive Hollywood monster score (with almost nothing to do with the franchise) and Desplat tries to please everyone at once.

Karol

Thor - Patrick Doyle

Signs - James Newton Howard

For some reason, these work really well together.

Ostinati I presume?

John Barry - Dances With Wolves

Wow! Why hasn't this been part of my regular rotation of film score listening for the past 20 years? It's great!

It sums up Barry pretty well I think.

Only late Barry. Early Barry was much less predictable.

Yeah, very true although I profess being less knowledgeable about his early days. But his later stuff, especially in the 1990's, sounds almost formulaic.

I'm planning on listening to more Barry from both eras.

Which of his post Dances scores are considered his best?

Chaplin? The Scarlet Letter?

Karol

Yes I would choose those as well although The Scarlet Letter is quite formulaic and feels very familiar after Dances with Wolves.