What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Angela's Ashes by John Williams: My favourite rainy day music. Goes right to the soul. One of JWs masterpieces.

Cutthroat Island by John Debney

Howard Shore - Hugo

I had completely forgotten that large parts of these score are very reminiscent of An Unexpected Journey! Specifically one common musical idea that is very similar to Bilbo's Fussy Theme, but also a few other melodies that steer close to some AUJ melodies. It's a completely different score sound-wise, with a wider variety of funky instruments used, and it's of course smaller and not as epic in nature. Overall, a very fun listen!

I still need to pick up Hugo. Soundtrack budget and some of the limited older score expansions prevent me from ordering it though.

Yes, I too love those points in that cue. And other points of the CD are listenable too. Some are bored by it, but I find the Home track to be quite beautiful.

The Monuments Men - Alexandre Desplat

The Monuments Men, Godzilla - > FUN. THANK YOU!

The Tree of Life -> depending on my mood it's either zzz or some sort of interesting internal experience. I makes me want to draw things. :)

The Tree of Life -> depending on my mood it's either zzz or some sort of interesting internal experience. I makes me want to draw things. :)

And Grand Budapest?

(I really like this one)

Karol

Yeah, The Grand Budapest Hotel is pretty enjoyable. It reminds me of Moonrise Kingdom.

:music: Dolores Claiborne by Danny Elfman

I haven't heard Grand Budapest yet? Does it have more of a score than Moonrise Kingdom, which was essentially just one piece, broken part and repeated to fill up the duration of the film.

And Grand Budapest?

(I really like this one)

Karol

Actually, the moment I started that I switched for some reason to The Asassination of Jesse James by the Coward Rober Ford, so I don't know yet, but I will listen now :)

I haven't heard Grand Budapest yet? Does it have more of a score than Moonrise Kingdom, which was essentially just one piece, broken part and repeated to fill up the duration of the film.

Desplat has actually written a very quirky (Wes Anderson film after all) but really interesting score for The Grand Budapest Hotel and I find it indeed much more substantial than The Moonrise Kingdom. It might not be up there with his very best but it is certainly entertaining and has a singular atmosphere to it. I need to give it a few more spins actually. It is on Spotify.

And Grand Budapest?

(I really like this one)

Karol

Actually, the moment I started that I switched for some reason to The Asassination of Jesse James by the Coward Rober Ford, so I don't know yet, but I will listen now :)

Finally someone else that appreciates that score!

Desplat has actually written a very quirky (Wes Anderson film after all) but really interesting score for The Grand Budapest Hotel and I find it indeed much more substantial than The Moonrise Kingdom. It might not be up there with his very best but it is certainly entertaining and has a singular atmosphere to it. I need to give it a few more spins actually. It is on Spotify.

And while it is slight - in a wonderful breezy way - i like most about it, that it doesn't sound like any number of filmscores (if we don't count 70's Morricone which over the course of 800 scores sounds like everything ever written).

And while it is slight - in a wonderful breezy way - i like most about it, that it doesn't sound like any number of filmscores (if we don't count 70's Morricone which over the course of 800 scores sounds like everything ever written).

Yes the composer really crafts singular sound specific to this project both in style and instrumentation while still keeping it recognizably Desplat. It is certainly one of his strengths and the strength of this score.

Well, the album is on a bit of a repetitive side, to be honest. The pace is steady and never really changes. It's when you get to the climactic 10 minutes that the thing really pays off. But, as you both say, it sounds quite unique - gypsy, Hungarian, Polish, German, Russian folklore, with a bit liturgical singing, spiced up with pinch of old Hollywood and Philip Glass-like minimalism. It's madness.

Karol

Desplat has been doing Philip Glass-like minimalism with his own touches for ages now.

Yeah, I know. But not in a combination like this.

minimalism. It's madness.

MADNESS? THIS IS DESPLAT!

this-is-sparta-o.gif

You could possibly lip sync that, too. ROTFLMAO

Karol

I have to give Desplat a lot of credit for being able to adapt style so well while still giving a quality musical product. I've listened to a few of his scores over the last week (I was largely unfamiliar with him until Godzilla came out); Monuments Men, Rise of the Guardians, Moonrise Kingdom, the aforementioned Godzilla. Really talented guy. I would have absolutely no issue with him succeeding Williams.

I was always astonished that one guy could go from something as simple and gentle as this:

elegant like this:

or quirky like this:

to something as massive as this:

Or terrifying as this:

http://youtu.be/3T66Sdo_U2A

Karol - who cannot wait for the December concert :)

And Grand Budapest?

(I really like this one)

Karol

Finally someone else that appreciates that score!

I love it myself.

Secret Weapons Over Normandy by Michael Giacchino: Some of Giacchino's flat out entertaining and melodic work is for games and this score once again reminded me of that. I wish he could compose something half as joyful and soaring for films. I know there are certain of stylistic nods in the music to the film music classics of the past but it remains a varied and colorful work in its own right and a darn wonderful album.

:music: John Carter - A Thern for the Worse

Zubin Mehta Star Wars suite (AKA CInema Gala: Star Wars/Close Encounters). I think the performance is pretty awesome and the recording is astonishing. Sounds just like you're hearing it in person.

UPDATE: Jesus Christ, this version of The Little People is better than sex. Confirmed, the entire suite is in fact better than sex.

Psycho II

Solid Goldsmith, mediocre Psycho.

The Stepford Wives - This is probably some of the most catchy material Arnold has ever penned. Certainly above most of his "big" action scores.

:music:Young Sherlock Holmes

Karol

Zubin Mehta Star Wars suite (AKA CInema Gala: Star Wars/Close Encounters). I think the performance is pretty awesome and the recording is astonishing. Sounds just like you're hearing it in person.

UPDATE: Jesus Christ, this version of The Little People is better than sex. Confirmed, the entire suite is in fact better than sex.

Link?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams: While Chamber of Secrets was largely a steady retreading of what had come before due to Williams' part time commitment Prisoner of Azkaban feels like Maestro really enjoying the new challenge director Alfonso Cuaron set before him, moulding a unified whole from such eclectic mix of styles and impulses. Modernistic techniques clash with mad-cap big band tunes, Romantic Rossini-esque orchestral writing meets a dash of faux-Medieval colourings and instrumentations but Williams finds a unifying thread in a collection strong themes that permeate this score. The new family theme, A Window to the Past, is a highlight, written in the English pastoral spirit with shades of composer's own Jane Eyre hovering good naturedly in the background, a sweeping, heartbreaking leitmotif full of the very essence of yearning and Double Trouble growing out of a school pageant song into a sort of an heir of Hedwig's theme that charts much of the story of the main characters in the film and score. Half a dozen other musical identifications adorn this soundtrack that sports some of Maestro's most appealing writing in the noughties both in terms of dynamics, invention, melody and orchestrations, the playfully Medieval stylings giving this score a very unique cast. Only the rather curious album assembly of the score leaves something to be desired, namely some of the highlights of the soundtrack, but otherwise this is a more than praise worthy successor score to the original Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, even improving things a bit as the music along with the story takes a darker and more mature turn.

Confirmed, the entire suite is in fact better than sex.

You're doing it wrong.

Link?

Rated NC-17.

Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra (from an album called American Spectrum) by John Williams: A very enjoyable 3 movement suite from Catch Me If You Can with Closing In (Main title), Reflections (Father's Theme) and Joy Ride (called The Float on the OST) all revised with added saxophone passages. This particular recording features the North Carolina Symphony with Grant Llewellyn conducting and Branford Marsalis on alto saxophone. Marsalis' performance is nuanced, agile and emotional, the Reflections in particular, and the orchestra has great playful energy throughout.

The only recording that I've got is the recent Amy Dickson album. It's quite good, actually.

:music:The Core by Christopher Young - the score is revealing new details and might end up being my favourite work form the composer

Karol

The only recording that I've got is the recent Amy Dickson album. It's quite good, actually.

:music:The Core by Christopher Young - the score is revealing new details

Karol

I would rate the Amy Dickson version a tad below the Marsalis one mainly due to the lack of fluidity and energy in certain parts but it is more the orchestra's fault than the soloist's.