What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Yeah, I know there was a score. But it's an insulting way of saying: "I don't like it".

I understood it as Tchaikovsky wrote the score and Mansell arranged it.

Yeah, I know there was a score. But it's an insulting way of saying: "I don't like it".

I understood it as Tchaikovsky wrote the score and Mansell arranged it.

That would be inaccurate. I mean yes, there are some Tchaikovsky bits adapted for a film but there is also some original music composed by Mansell. Which by comparison is not very striking. At least in the film. I have yet to hear the album though.

Karol

He said Mansell did not offer a score, which is simply not true. If you don't like his adaptation of Tchaikovsky, then that's another thing.

I loved the film's use of Tchaikovsky. But I don't think Mansell added anything of value that didn't come from Tchaikovsky. He did a good job- but strictly as an arranger.

The Big Lebowski

I'd never seen it before. Kinda weird. Profoundly quotable.

That's great, I'm a Lebowski, you're a Lebowski!

I was surprised when they killed that particular character, but he really had just been the butt of jokes up to that point, i.e. pretty useless. In death, he offered up every manner of jokes surrounding cremation, and allowed Sam Elliot to point out the give and take nature of it.

I am fully aware of who died, since it was The DUDE who recived a faceful of Donny dust. It hasn't been 12 hours yet since the end credits rolled.

Apparently my attempt to use some tact regarding the reveal of the character's name, in case otherse like me have waited this long to watch it, failed. "That particular character" was meant for someone else, if I had meant The Dude, I would have just said "him."

Like John Williams did for Fiddler?

Williams won an Oscar, I doubt Mansell will anytime soon. ;)

To be fair, Williams won an Oscar for arranging Fiddler in 1971. That was shortly before Jaws made him a household name and he began churning out blockbuster themes every year, but long after scoring Lost in Space, Bachelor Flat, None But the Brave, How to Steal a Million, and receiving Oscar nods for Valley of the Dolls, The Reivers, and Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

Has Mansell had similar success in the past decade or so? I don't know.

He deserves one.

Herrmann, Goldsmith, Williams, Newman, Mansell...

Right...

They can't won't stop giving out awards when all the talent dries up and the industry is full of has-beens or wannabe's. Actors, films, and composers alike. Wouldn't it be nice if they did?

Sorry folks, everybody sucked this year. Oscars are cancelled.

There's talent today, but in today's world you have to look for it. The problem sometimes with the Oscars is that they don't look for it.

The only Mantsell score that I've heard in its entirety is Moon, which made wonders in the films. I've heard bits of others.

What you talkin' about, Koray? All I'm sayin' is this year the movies and scores on offer have been a bit shit, that's all.

Inception, The King's Speech, Social bloody Network.

Sod that for a lark.

Let go of the past, and move forward. A lot of you act like the film industry is a nuclear wasteland devoid of any talent whatsoever.

well when you got a bunch of people/morons praising David Fincher you know the industry is going down hill.

I dunno, I just look at older Oscar clips and there was a certain wit and charm amongst the presenters, they could improvise and draw laughs.

Today's presenters are so stiff and dull and cannot read a teleprompter.

That's not saying there weren't bad presenters back then, the writer's strike in the late 80's / early 90's (don't remember the exact date) had plenty of groaners at one Oscar telecast when everyone seemed to be improvising.

I agree that the show itself is rather lackluster, but I'm just talking about the quality of film overall. Superb stuff is still being made, you just need to look in the right places.

I really really really hope they ditch the "let's read about the performances by the nominees, instead of actually showing a clip, because we all know words are more interesting than facial expressions in terms of acting."

Let go of the past, and move forward. A lot of you act like the film industry is a nuclear wasteland devoid of any talent whatsoever.

That practically how it sums it up today.

Most of your films these days are reboots and any original films sorta suck for the most part. A lot of the composers chosen for film these days are mostly Media Venture guys and are rather bland...

I'm not gonna be surprised if in the next 10-20 years movies completely die out.

That practically how it sums it up today.

Most of your films these days are reboots and any original films sorta suck for the most part. A lot of the composers chosen for film these days are mostly Media Venture guys and are rather bland...

I'm not gonna be surprised if in the next 10-20 years movies completely die out.

I don't see this with anything beyond the major blockbusters.

Look at films such as The Social Network, Black Swan, True Grit (actually another adaptaion of the book that a remake, but very well done), The Fighter etc.

Look at last year, with films like Moon.

If you look beyond the rom-coms, superhero movies (The Dark Knight was awesome, IMHO, and Iron Man was fun), you may find a lot more originality than is at first apparent.

Composers such as Michael Giacchino and Bear McCreary are creating some pretty original and good material musically, so I'd watch those two.

Creativity and originality are far from dead, IMHO.

I declare cinema dead as of 22:08 PM Warsaw time!

It's time to find a new hobby...like post stamps, for example!

Karol - who has way too many movies to choose from for tonight

The blockbuster sequels, prequels, interquels, remakes, and reboots are the fund raisers for the studios so they can afford to also produce the movies with original stories, which are not as widely released or known.

As long as studios can keep churning out crap like Fast And Furious and Nicholas Cage can continue to obliterate his career with junk, movies will continue to be made.

The way films are made will definitely change, but movie making will never end.

Saw Never Let Me Go and True Grit. Wow- two 2010 movies that actually felt alive and skillfully conceived and executed.

I understand the 'Cinema is Dead' proclaimers, but there's simply not enough proof to back it up.