What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

It's probably just alzheimer's.

Don't worry, Quint, you don't have Alzheimer's, but you probably are prone to hallucinations. It's the same principle as when someone thinks that Hans Zimmer is a good composer, or that James Horner is the most original voice in film scoring today.

I agree with Quint, the atmosphere was a crucial part of the film and it had it in spades (like 'Inception').

Could you explain that to me because I saw two films that used every frame to put the dialogue and the intensity of Dicaprio into the center. Personally, their lack of atmosphere and filmic expression is the reason why I despise them. It's like Nolan and Scorsese are saying: "Today people only come for the story and every other aspect of film is a waste of time so let's not do that anymore." Honestly, I could've read their basic scripts and still they would've had more atmosphere. Okay, I must refine, Inception takes the cake but I don't think Shutter Island was all that far behind.

Alex

Well I disagree with Charlie on Inception, I thought that was a clinically shot movie with very little depth and soul in the imagery. I'm not saying Shutter Island is a masterpiece by any standards, but I did really enjoy how Scorsese shot it. The lighting gave the sets and locales immense character - it felt like I was watching a modern Hitchcock movie (albeit purely from a design pov), it had a wonderfully schlocky aesthetic, a style Scorsese has dabbled in before with the aforementioned Cape Fear, all very over the top and left to soak in its own celluloid juices. Shutter Island is clearly the work of a master lensman, a director who loves the style of movies like 'Laura' and 'Key Largo' a storyteller who relishes the opportunity to capture the same visual feel of those movies, with success. Frankly, I have trouble understanding anyone who DOESN'T find Shutter Island to have atmosphere. The film itself isn't especially brilliant, but it absolutely looks and feels the part.

Saw True Grit last night. Very entertaining, and the Coens again extract some serious performances, especially from Matt Damon, who's not the first actor I think of for a western. I instantly wanted to get Burwell's promo too.

The only thing I didn't like was the final scene; it felt unnecessary and took away from the atmosphere of the scene where they reach the house.

I cared about young Mattie, her survival - but as soon as we go forward 25 years, I'm like... meh. She's had 25 years to get used to her hand being amputated, and the sheriff is dead. Great. And the actress playing grown-up Mattie had none of the charisma that the younger actress had.

I agree with Quint, the atmosphere was a crucial part of the film and it had it in spades (like 'Inception').

Could you explain that to me because I saw two films that used every frame to put the dialogue and the intensity of Dicaprio into the center. Personally, their lack of atmosphere and filmic expression is the reason why I despise them. It's like Nolan and Scorsese are saying: "Today people only come for the story and every other aspect of film is a waste of time so let's not do that anymore." Honestly, I could've read their basic scripts and still they would've had more atmosphere. Okay, I must refine, Inception takes the cake but I don't think Shutter Island was all that far behind.

Alex

I could probably explain, but there's very little point. So I'll just say I agree with Q (apart from where he disagrees with me).

Watched The King's Speech and True Grit today, to catch up with some of the more important titles before the Oscars. Saw Black Swan last week, and as a film, it's still my favourite of the three, but he other two were fine as well. Great casts in both cases. Lovely Burwell score.

Star Trek V- The Final Frontier

I actually really like this movie a lot. Oh, I'll admit it's deeply flawed, and there are a few cringe worthy moments. And of course the Klingons have no real purpose or motivation in this story. But damn, it is so watchable. The character moments are superb. And I'll echo the Trek V liner notes and add that this truly plays like an episode of the original series. Lawrence Luckinbill really ignites as Sybock. His relationship with Spock is well played, and I love Kirk's refusal to drink the Kool Aid like everybody else. There are some really poor visual effects in this film, but we never let that get to us with the Original Series. Despite the poor effects, I think it's a good looking film, with wonderful color and lighting. And of course, Goldsmith elevates it.

The King's Speech and Winter's Bone are the only two I haven't seen. I might go to AMC's Best Picture showcase tomorrow. I'm not sure if they're only showing 5 or all 10. They had it last Saturday as well, which is where the confusion stems.

I haven't had the chance to see King's Speech

I ha ha haven't wa wa wanted to ss ss ss see the the King's Spa Spa Spa Speech.

I haven't had the chance to see King's Speech

I ha ha haven't wa wa wanted to ss ss ss see the the King's Spa Spa Spa Speech.

Hello James Earl Jones!

Toy Story 3,. for the first time. Holy crap, do those guys ever get it wrong. . . ?

- Uni

Frequently: "Up", "WALL-E", "Finding Nemo", "Cars", "Monsters Inc.", "A Bug's Life" ("Antz" was soooooooo much better), but when they get it right, then they soar!

I also like "Andre And Wally B.", and "Tin Toy", and "Boundin'".

Toy Story 3,. for the first time. Holy crap, do those guys ever get it wrong. . . ?

- Uni

Frequently: "Up", "WALL-E", "Finding Nemo", "Cars", "Monsters Inc.", "A Bug's Life" ("Antz" was soooooooo much better), but when they get it right, then they soar!

Ok wait wait wait. I understand Up and A Bug's Life. I haven't seen Cars. Nemo was good other than Dory remembering when it's necessary to the plot.

But Monsters Inc? WALL·E? Seriously? :huh:

Pixar movies (and many of their imitators) frequently leave me cold. Not saying I wasn't moved by Toy Story 3, but they just don't always stick with me. There's a disposability, a disconnect.

In 'Cars' they did a bit, but otherwise, nope.

I still find Bug's Life the one that does the least for me, it's merely "good", whereas the others range from very good to great or even outstanding.

I think Cars is seriously underrated. It's certainly not their best, but I find nothing wrong with it, and there's much to admire. I also like how after Nemo (animating creatures without legs and with little potential for "arm action") they restricted themselves even more by making cars the main characters - and pulling it off without seeming artificial.

The Brad Bird Pixars clearly go in a slightly different direction than the "traditional" ones. Some people dislike them for that, I think they're some of the best. The "taste explosion" scene in Ratatouille is one of the most touching moments in any film from recent years I've seen.

As for Toy Story 3, I found it really good, though not quite up there with their best, and unlike some other Pixars not worthy of a best picture award.

WALL·E is one of my favourite films. It doesn't happen to me with any Pixar film except the first Toy Story (and I love nearly all of them), but after I watch it, it stays several days in my head and it makes me quite emotional.

I saw The King's Speech twice and I honestly believe it was by far the best film of 2010. The acting, pacing, cinematography, and direction were all superb. Also, I think it was one of the best films I've seen with the appropriate inclusion of classical pieces alongside a wonderful original score.

- Uni

Ok wait wait wait. I understand Up and A Bug's Life. I haven't seen Cars. Nemo was good other than Dory remembering when it's necessary to the plot.

But Monsters Inc? WALL·E? Seriously? :huh:

Yeah, seriously. I have been impressed by all of Pixar's films, but not always moved by them.

Recently they seem to have taken a formula (main character, and side-kick go on a "wonderful adventure", and pick up a few "cute" things along the way, while learning all about life, and each other). Say that once, and it's entertaining, and effective; say it five times, and it soon becomes a bit of a yawn.

"A Bug's Life" ("Antz" was soooooooo much better)

Finally someone else who agrees!

There is so much to enjoy in "Antz", from Woody allen's neurosis, Dan Ackroyd's wasp (wasp by name, W.A.S.P. by nature), Michell Pieffer's princess ("Oh, it's worse, they're Eurotrash" :lol: )to Gene Hackman's military man...er...ant, and Sly Stallone's take on Rambo - complete with Rambo-esque music (a nice touch).

I do think that DreamWorks' early animated films were something special. "The Prince Of Egypt" is visually astonishing, and Martin Short, and Steve Martin doing "Playing With The Big Boys" is really special. So what if some of it isn't exactly accurate: it's brilliant to watch.

But back to Pixar. IMO, its best film is "The Incredibles". Because I am approaching a certain big-numbered birthday, a lot of the themes in this film resonate with me. I enjoy the film on many levels, and I think that, because it is an animated film, it can explore issues in a certain way, that a live-action film might struggle with (mid-life crisis, family responsibilities, "growing up", dissaffected youth)...or it's a film about a family of Superheroes. Take your pick. Either way, it's completely...well...incredible.

- Uni

blink.gif

Finally got round to The King's Speech.

The performances from everyone were utterly convincing, but I thought the story side of it lagged in the middle, and I looked at the time at least once.

Desplat's music was typically appropriate, but its completely classical nature mostly turned me off it. I liked the cue for the final speech (was that classical, or Desplat?) due to a melodic structure, but nothing else stuck out at me.

For me, orchestral music needs purpose - every passage has to provide emotion or atmosphere. Most classical fails to do that for me over long periods; it just meanders in the background. For those reasons, Desplat's score was unlikely to appeal to me, and it doesn't. Kudos to him if he wins, but he's not a composer I really appreciate much.

Desplat's music was typically appropriate, but its completely classical nature mostly turned me off it. I liked the cue for the final speech (was that classical, or Desplat?) due to a melodic structure, but nothing else stuck out at me.

That was Beethoven. Symphony No. 7, second movement.

For me, orchestral music needs purpose - every passage has to provide emotion or atmosphere. Most classical fails to do that for me over long periods; it just meanders in the background.

But that's more of an accurate description for film scores: All to often, they provide quick triggers, connected my purposeless underscore. Something happens on the screen, something happens in the music, then all that is over again and there's meandering until the next relevant moment. Some conductors perform classical music that way (which is why I've never been a fan of Solti's Ring des Nibelungen recordings). But in general, classical music HAS purpose. And even if it takes a piece 20 minutes to get to its climax (famous example: Bruckner), it's never in the background, it's just building and developing its material in a meaningful way, actually *leading* to the big moments, instead of just scattering them all over the place.

I saw Fiddler on the Roof for the first time in a long time. I loved it. I just recently got to play in the pit orchestra for a local production of it, and I was surprised how faithful the film script was to the play's script. There's also a lot of unreleased music that I'd love to have. The humming of "Anatevka" at the end is gorgeous and haunting...I'm not sure how that didn't make it on to the CD. I also didn't know that that idea introduced in "Tradition" is actually a theme for the Russians. I'd love to have the more spooky variation of it, played when Golda visits the church. And I think the soundtrack only gave us one of Tevye's Monologue (They Gave Each Other a Pledge)...I'd love to have the rest. Also that variation of tradition heard after the intermission would be nice. Then there's a bunch of cool underscore left off. I'd welcome an expanded release of Fiddler as much as any Williams score (well, minus the Holy Grails).

I also saw Unknown. It was very good. Excellent and unpredictable plot. I could actually tell what was going on during most of the action scenes, and I felt like I had room to breath during a few of the longer sequences. Acting was a little shaky by some of the less important characters, but the main ones were good. I just have two questions:

When the old German guy was speaking with Frank Langella, how did the former know that the latter was evil? And how did the latter know that the former knew that the latter was evil?

Finally got round to The King's Speech.

The performances from everyone were utterly convincing, but I thought the story side of it lagged in the middle, and I looked at the time at least once.

For me, orchestral music needs purpose - every passage has to provide emotion or atmosphere. Most classical fails to do that for me over long periods; it just meanders in the background. For those reasons, Desplat's score was unlikely to appeal to me, and it doesn't. Kudos to him if he wins, but he's not a composer I really appreciate much.

I wouldn't call Desplat's music completely classical at all. I think it's far more "meandering" than the Beethoven excerpts that conclude the movie (7th Symphony and Emperor Concerto), but then I think that's what the film necessitated.

Whoa . . . didn't expect to start the convo there.

The only Pixar movie I didn't really connect with so much was Ratatouille. I didn't see the point, at least not as much as others seemed to. (I was, however, touched by the denoument involving the critic. That was well done.)

The rest of them all had something that connected with me on a deeper level, the place where you want a movie to hit you.

But back to Pixar. IMO, its best film is "The Incredibles". Because I am approaching a certain big-numbered birthday, a lot of the themes in this film resonate with me. I enjoy the film on many levels, and I think that, because it is an animated film, it can explore issues in a certain way, that a live-action film might struggle with (mid-life crisis, family responsibilities, "growing up", dissaffected youth)...or it's a film about a family of Superheroes. Take your pick. Either way, it's completely...well...incredible.

We agree on this, at least. Of all the wonders Pixar has given us, this was the best for story, character, and tribute value. And I think that certain big-numbered B-day does indeed have something to do with it, too.

- Uni

Well I disagree with Charlie on Inception, I thought that was a clinically shot movie with very little depth and soul in the imagery. I'm not saying Shutter Island is a masterpiece by any standards, but I did really enjoy how Scorsese shot it. The lighting gave the sets and locales immense character - it felt like I was watching a modern Hitchcock movie (albeit purely from a design pov), it had a wonderfully schlocky aesthetic, a style Scorsese has dabbled in before with the aforementioned Cape Fear, all very over the top and left to soak in its own celluloid juices. Shutter Island is clearly the work of a master lensman, a director who loves the style of movies like 'Laura' and 'Key Largo' a storyteller who relishes the opportunity to capture the same visual feel of those movies, with success. Frankly, I have trouble understanding anyone who DOESN'T find Shutter Island to have atmosphere. The film itself isn't especially brilliant, but it absolutely looks and feels the part.

Agreed wholeheartedly

Perhaps one must first be in tune with the type of movie and storytelling before one is able to taste the atmosphere. The fans of Inception most likely don't understand why some say Nolan couldn't create any atmosphere for that film either. Personally, I'm not very fond of Scorsese's new style (I didn't feel any atmosphere in The Departed either). He used to make films that were more character based (with vivid and natural dialog). These days he's more into story based movies, which to me is the least interesting kind.

These days he's more into story based movies, which to me is the least interesting kind.

I'm more into story based movies (if the expression makes any sense).

Strangely enough, the 2011 film I want to see the most is The Tree of Life :blink:

I've been wanting to see Psycho for the last few days but unable to do so.

These days he's more into story based movies, which to me is the least interesting kind.

I'm more into story based movies (if the expression makes any sense).

Strangely enough, the 2011 film I want to see the most is The Tree of Life :blink:

I've been wanting to see Psycho for the last few days but unable to do so.

Me. too, funnily enough "TROL", and "DH pt.2", are the only films that are interesting me so far; "DH" because I want to find out how it all ends (don't tell me, please!!!!!!), and "TROL" because it's Terrence Malik..'nuff said.

As for "Psycho". Nah! Save yer money, and watch "Psycho II", instead; a much more entertaining film. I mean it...No, I really do mean it...Yes I am serious.

Agreed wholeheartedly

What I liked about Shutter Island that this is not the kind of Scorsese that wants to win an Academy Award. It's less serious and it seems to be made for fun. I'm not sure whether it holds up well because I've seen it only once, almost a year ago. I remember that they made a very effective use of classical music (the piece of Penderecki absolutely rules!). The story itself seemed very secondary to me, as were the characters. It was all about the imagery and music.

Karol

Shutter Island was fantastic, and should have been one of the ten nominees. Dump out Toy Story 3, it's already going to win Best Animated Feature, no need to nominate it for Best Picture.

Aww why not?

I think Best Animated Feature should be something like Best Animation instead. Or to have both categories.

In the first you evaluate the whole film. It's like the best film category, but restricted to animated films. In the second you evaluate the animation (tecnique + cretivity) used in the film.

I say if an animated film happens to be the best of the year, and you give it a Best Animated Feature because of that and you don't give it a Best Film, you're basically saying that it's the best out of all the animated films, but worse that all the nominated to Best film.

(In my opinion that's waht happened in 2008)

Unless you simply have a Best Live-Action Film and Best Animated Film. But there's no point in that, so...

I think there's a special effects award where they have got something like Best Animation.

Shutter Island was fantastic, and should have been one of the ten nominees. Dump out Toy Story 3, it's already going to win Best Animated Feature, no need to nominate it for Best Picture.

Aww why not?

I'm all for having animated movies in the Best Picture category if they're good enough. TS3 was good, probably good enough for the Best Animated Feature category (I haven't seen the others), but unlike some other Pixars it's not Best Picture material.