What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

I think that will happen when the Avengers movie fails to live up to expectations. Marvel has been building towards it for a while now, but I can;'t see this being anything but an huge anti-cimax. Whedon or not...

I like Singer's X-Men films but this Marvel thing has been milked to death already.

Yes, but X-Men movies were much better than the comic books and were made by filmmakers. These new Marvel movies are developed by comic book people. If you take time to flip through some of those you'd see they are not any good at all.

Karol

Stef, you mean it's been done incorrectly for the most part.

I like Lee's Hulk (the best of all Marvel adaptations). Parts of Iron Man. I can't barely remember the X-Men films, but I remember I felt they could have been much, much better. The Wolverine film was awful. FF, Daredevil... ugh. I only saw like half an hour of The Incredible Hulk before I started to get annoyed by it. The first two Spider-Man films missed half of the point.

I'm basically excited about Thor (Branagh + fantasy adventure) and The Avengers (that's going to depend on how much I like Thor, for me), plus Michael Fassbender's perfomance in the new X-Men. That's it.

The problem with these kind of comic books is that they are pretty much soap opera's. They just go on and on and on without any real resolution. Characters die, only to come alive, plots are repeated over and over again in only slightly altered form.

It's just not an art form that adults should engage in. (perhaps with a few exceptions)

I used to read most of this stuff, but I gave up after one rubbish crossover after the other. It's a waste of time. There are good comic books out there and some of them equal the greatest literature, but they are rare. This is probably the most underused medium of all. Ironic, because it is also one of the cheapest.

Oh btw I watched Copernicus' Star last night. Mainly to check out the score. ;)

Karol

The "everything will change so it stays the same" of superhero series annoys the hell out of me, too. I mean, I love superheroes, but I don't like that. I mostly read non-superhero comic. They have an end, and I can search for the good stuff easily.

Now on topic, I haven't seen a film in what it seems like ages.

'Iron Man' was pedestrian, but worked well. I'm not particularly enthused for 'Avengers' because I'm a massive fan of Whedon.

I like the first Spider-Man. It's a little too Raimi and the writing is poor (hi Koepp!), but it matched the original comic well.

I say they can be made interesting by changing the character non stop due to things happening. Like real people. The Batman movies are getting that right, it never seems like Batman is already Batman, but it's evolving to the future great Batman. That's quite intelligent writing.

Unless your character is called Sherlock Holmes.

I still think Hulk is the only interesting movie to be made about a Marvel character thus far.

Kenneth Bragnah seemed like such an interesting choice for Thor, but everything I've seen from that movie up to this point looks very pedestrian

Ditto. Norton's is pedestrian and designed specifically to appease people who complained about the first film, which unsurprisingly was rejected for being creative, different, and emotionally and thematically powerful and mythic. It's the same reason why I can't wait for Branagh's 'Thor', but am not that interested in 'Captain America' or 'The Avengers'.

Agreed with most of the above. I liked nortons, but ang's was so much more emotionally filled, and had a much better story. The only things I disagree with are Cap. and Avengers. I'm excited for those.

The 13th Warrior

I really enjoy this movie. But at the beginning, Omar Sharif has to speak with the Viking who latter calls Ibn by the name of "Little Brother," I'm guess in Greek, to translate. Then the little boy describes the ordeal to Bulvy, and Omar Sharif understands him perfectly. Only then does he go back to translating the adult Viking. I guess that a translator for the translator would have been cumbersome, but still.

It's an enjoyable movie. I wonder how McTiernan's version would have played though.

WE NEED THE DIRECTOR'S CUT ! There's something like an hour of footage that was cut. Give me that with the Blu-Ray edition !

It's an enjoyable movie. I wonder how McTiernan's version would have played though.

WE NEED THE DIRECTOR'S CUT ! There's something like an hour of footage that was cut. Give me that with the Blu-Ray edition !

Buit did that edit exist/exists, or should it be created again? Because last time I heard about the guy he was in jail.

The Box

It was shitty. It definitely sounded like the entire temp score was from Lost, at least to me.

I don't remember the score, but yes, the movie is terrible.

The scenes where

Cameron Diaz walks with the new foot thing and when she is shot

sound like a cheap rip off of the Oceanic Six theme.

Buit did that edit exist/exists, or should it be created again? Because last time I heard about the guy he was in jail.

I don't know. I think it exists, Revell's score being a proof of that. The real question is : does it still exist ? Probably, I guess. Unless it was destroyed by someone...

crichton+tete.jpg

Enter The Void: Yet another film that made me fight against falling asleep. The ghost perspective followed by the third person perspective we all know from computer games, the eternal muted heavy beats from the night clubs, the neverending ambient score, the film's very lengthy play time, the uninteresting characters (stupid and one-dimensional teens/tweens), their motives (loving your brother or sister is a dull subject), the fact that I don't believe in 'life after death', 'reincarnation' or the 'hallucinating effects of drugs' turned the whole movie into a very long ordeal. Some people might like the 'bad trip' aspect but bad trips don't give me any satisfaction. I did like some of the travel/cable camera shots, the vivid look on Tokyo and the light emmiting miniature city.

enter%20the%20void%20%20ned.jpg

Alex

A friend and I came across that on his Netflix instant watch and he told me about it. The running time was like 2 hours 30 minutes, and the first 15 minutes was his acid trip, which honestly wasn't much different than the "trip" from 2001. Needless to say, I told him there's no way in hell I'm gonna sit here for the rest of it.

Watch it, it's a Koray film. It's got teens and tweens, it's gritty, very serious, dramatic and it has nothing to do with 2001. No really, watch it! You'll thank me for te rest of your life.

Originally, the sequel to On Her Majesty's Secret Service was going to open with what is now the final scene of On Her Majesty's Secret Service. OHMSS would end with Bond and Tracy driving off. The next film would open with

Tracy getting shot.

Watch it, it's a Koray film. It's got teens and tweens, it's gritty, very serious, dramatic and it has nothing to do with 2001. No really, watch it! You'll thank me for te rest of your life.

No thanks, the 20 minute drug trip was enough for me.

saw Limitless and Paul this weekend.

Paul has many tip of the hats towards so many films. The ending is almost shot for shot from ET. I liked it.

Limitless is pretty good, didn't know Bradley Cooper had the dramatic turn in him.

OHMSS

I wish Lazenby had stayed on as Bond.

Great post, dude, so do I! The idea for the beginning of the Lazenby "Diamonds Are Forever" sounds rather good.

Connery looks too old in DAF and it would have meant more to have Lazenby finish off Blofeld. Although I wish they had carried over Bond's anguish to the DAF a bit more. At times it feels like Connery is just there to collect a paycheck.

OHMSS

I wish Lazenby had stayed on as Bond.

Great post, dude, so do I! The idea for the beginning of the Lazenby "Diamonds Are Forever" sounds rather good.

I agree. OHMSS is one of my favourite Bond pictures and my appreciation of it grows with each watching. DaF, on the other hand, is basicly a spoof and a missed opportunity - a giant leap backwards compared to the new, brave take on Bond in OHMSS, which was - from today's perspective - ahead of its time. The audience wasn't really prepared for this back then. They were in demand for light-weight silly adventures and this was whet they got in DaF and later on in Roger Moore's Bonds. I am glad to see that Hunt's movie has eventually got some of that long-deserved respect andrecognition. Although Lazenby lacked that alpha-male charisma of Sean Connery, he did his work better than most people would admit, and definitely he would have been better option for DaF than way too old and way too bored Connery.

Yeah some of the lack of continuity in the Bond films can be annoying, Felix Leiter is different everytime, with an excepetion, but yet J.W. Pepper and Jaws each get 2 films. ;)

Also It would have been nice to have the same actor play Blofeld, although shooting the films out of order presented a problem as well.

And while I'm at it, that poor cat in YOLT. Did Donald Pleasence never own a pet before? You gently pet a cat, you don't rub your fingers down to the bone.

Lazenby's Bond actually comes across as caring for Theresa. I don't think Connery could have done that. His Bond was a more hard ass, Lazenby managed to convey that as well but yet he had a gentle side to him.

And I actually felt Blofeld was a serious threat, part of that is Telly Savalas being a physical / emotional match as an actor. Bond is actually worried about his own safety and ability to get free.

Well I saw 2 films today in the cinema

Limitless. Pretty good film, I recommend it

Battle LA. I think I preferred Skyline. Enough said

you have to be kidding. Skyline was a horrible film, Bat. LA isn't terrible.

The Wolfman

Erk. Starts off mildly ok, then becomes a massive insult to the original. Del Toro is good, Blunt is awful, Hopkins is Hopkins and Weaving is Weaving. Didn't recognize that much of the actual album in the film, guess this was Pope's rescoring. I fear for Captain America, Johnston may be a classic art director but is a mediocre director. Still, Baker's makeup was amazing, if ruined a bit by the poor CGI.