What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

For an honest moment, the thing I find about Snyder that gets me is that he does have talent. His vision for framing especially puts him beyond the pale of people like Michael Bay and while (with Bay) he's helped usher a new wave of slo-mo usage in contemporary action pictures, his own use of it can be very good (but it can also seem like parody). I just don't think he's a good enough visual storyteller as he needs to be, and as he thinks he is. That and he has a predilection for immature or adolescent source material, and needs someone to restrain him. He needs a Gary Kurtz.

Oddly enough, I've started to come round to thinking he can do a good job on 'Superman' (although that's partly based on Nolan picking him). But there are a lot of caveats, and I also don't agree with Alex's theories about not needing good plot or character. I don't enjoy Pollock-esque film, to throw elements at the screen and say "well it doesn't really need structure or development because it's all about the visuals", that abstract sense is fine for movies like Koyyaniquatsi but not for a mainstream action picture. And as I said, Snyder is not strong enough directorially to strengthen the needed elements with his aesthetics. But with the right mentor, he can be.

One of the reasons why I like 300 and Watchmen is that they don't feel like conventional comic books but rather like adult, strange and very artistic graphic novels. It even puzzles me why someone would call them 'adolescent'. To me, this word applies mostly to all the other ones. The generic ones. I haven't seen Sucker Punch (it takes another 6 or 8 months for the Blu-ray to hit the market) but all his previous films actually have a good plot (I want to know what's going to happen) and interesting characters (not dulled down by typical popular trademarks or because of their obvious good guy or bad guy depiction). Perhaps it's all about taste but characters like Iron Man, Spider-Man or James Bond, the darlings of the public, simply mean nothing to me. And I utterly hate how characters like Braveheart beg the watching audience for their sympathy.

Concerning his storytelling abilities, I let myself carry away by the visuals and the sound. To my best of knowledge, this is the language of the filmmaker and I don't know of any other director who can communicate or convey his visuals and sounds to me like Snyder does. Whatever may appear on the screen, Snyder makes it extremely visceral and palpable. To me this is the highest form of storytelling. That's what I mean when I say plot or characters are not important. Of course, they are important but Snyder's films (except for Dawn of The Dead) seem to transcend those conventional aspects. His films are sensory experiences. I can watch them the same way I would listen to music. Like Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey, Snyder is in the business of making 'immersive cinema'. His eye for visual detail, color composition, lighting, motion or whatever that finds itself in the frame is simply off the charts. More importantly, he always knows how to give weight to something. I can't imagine how it can be improved upon.

Nolan acting like a Gary Kurtz is something I'm not sure will happen (Nolan already has stated that the new Supes is Snyder's movie) but ... one never knows, of course. It will be less Snyder, I think, especially now with Sucker Punch receiving so many bad reviews. I can see WB asking Nolan to keep a closer eye on the film.

I just find it hilarious that the supposedly elitist movie-lover Alexcremers is considering going to the cinema to watch the next Vanessa (High School Musical) Hudgens movie. ;)

A weary-eyed film fan is closer to the truth. ;)

Alex

I think 300 was mediocre at best. You may call it inmersive but, with me, it failed to make me believe in anything I was watching on screen. I haven't read the comic but I doubt it's any good. It wasn't palpable, it wasn't visceral, it was just stuff flashing there against green screen.

Watchmen was a bit better, basically thanks to the amazing source material, even though it betrays the comic here and there and in the end it doesn't live up to it at all. (I can't help it, I don't like it when filmmakers pee on a favourite author of mine.)

Snyder is no Kubrick whatsoever. Hardly anyone is.

Yes, but you are a JW fan. If there's one demographic not ready for Snyder then it's right here. You need the obvious emotional manipulation of a Spielberg followed by the confirmation of John Williams' music. ;)

This is also not converting me over to Snyder: your thinly-veiled insults, as if Snyder is a misunderstood genius and we're all blind peasants for being fans of JW and SS and his "obvious emotional manipulation", but it's all okay because you put a smiley face after it.

Alex, didn't you say earlier that you like the emotional content in Snyder's films or something like that?

People talk about the manipulation of the audience's feelings as it is a bad thing. It's not, it's one of the main pillars of the narrative arts. It's reaaally difficult to achieve.

Batman Begins. It's been quite a long time since I've seen it and forgotten how good it is. The only hilarious part of the film is seeing Rachel taser Dr. Crane and him screaming like a little girl. I'm hoping with The Dark Knight Rises we'll see Batman's HQ in the Bat Cave. I was hoping we'd see it in The Dark Knight but maybe they were still building it along with rebuilding the mansion.

"Godzilla X Mothra X King Ghidorah Giant Monster All Out Attack" (2004 I believe).

full_gmk09.jpg

This is a great movie! One of the best of the entire series. And definitely the most realistic looking film. The monsters are filmed in such a way that they actually look big and heavy, and not just like a rubber suit in a landscape of fake green rolling hills (ahem, Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II, ahem).

It makes a big dramatic difference to finally see on screen that people are being killed in the battles.

Even the synthetic score works.

Both thumbs way up!

X-Men 3 was on last night and, by god, this is one big terrible stinker, especially that long, big battle of the mutants segment. Even Ian McKellen is pretty bad in it. Fortunately, Patrick Stewart was wise enough to make an exit earlier on in the movie. This movie is so bad that it hurts the first two movies.

Alex

But... it is being rebooted as we type.

How was it? I plan to watch it in a near future, but I can't find time to do so.

It's a bit inconsequential, but enjoyable. In a plain kind of way. It does its job. And the visuals are fun to watch.

I said it on the other thread already, but.... Happy Birthday!

Karol

So ... how was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World? Something tells me I should see it. I don't remember what or why ... because of a beautiful actrice maybe?

Even Ian McKellen is pretty bad in it.

Hmmm...he survives pretty good. But like with his role in The Davinci Code, he decided to ham it up, since there was no way this material could be approached seriously.

Fortunately, Patrick Stewart was wise enough to make an exit earlier on in the movie. This movie is so bad that it hurts the first two movies.

Alex

The script is stupid. The 2 most powerfull mutants don't do anything in the big epic battle, just stand their and watch weaker ones get into a long, pointless fight.

If I were Magneto I's just pick up the Golden Gate again and drop it on the enemy. If I were Famke Jansen...well, I would not leave the house.

It also irked me that the relationship between Logan and Rogue, so important in the first 2 movies, is reduced to a 2 minute conversation in this one.

Thankfully this one is being rebooted.

So ... how was Scott Pilgrim vs. The World? Something tells me I should see it. I don't remember what or why ... because of a beautiful actrice maybe?

It's of the Kick Ass/Snyder type film. But more for kids.

Hmmm...he survives pretty good. But like with his role in The Davinci Code, he decided to ham it up, since there was no way this material could be approached seriously.

He was pretty much the only good thing about that film.

Karol

Well, you're right, he's quite good during the first hour. I love how he is menacing without doing anything particularly menacing. I just thought he was terrible during the silly big battle of the mutants.

It's of the Kick Ass/Snyder type film. But more for kids.

S .. Sn ... Snyder?!!

Alex - running to the DVD rental store while breaking every existing speed record.

How was it? I plan to watch it in a near future, but I can't find time to do so.

It's a bit inconsequential, but enjoyable. In a plain kind of way. It does its job. And the visuals are fun to watch.

That suits me.

I said it on the other thread already, but.... Happy Birthday!

Karol

Dzieki!

X-Men 3 or the Davinci Code?

With this kind of presence and voice he's going to survive any film. But I was talking specifically about DaVinci Code. He made it fun.

S .. Sn ... Snyder?!!

Be careful. It's probably a bit of a stretch. If the trailer looks like Snyder to you then that's how this movie feels.

Karol

I don't remember him doing much actually?

He's not really an action oriented actor. But give him some halfway decent dialogue and he can turn it into gold.

The extended cuts of the Lord Of The Rings films have scenes that are completely unnecessary with McKellen just talking....and they are great. :)

Watched trailer and it looks like a fun flick to watch with ze kid. Don't quite get why you say it's Snydery though.

The only good thing about X-Men 3 is that you can see that Magneto, even though they are each other's enemy, still has a lot of respect for Xavier.

david-carradine-pic-rex-751626881.jpg

I'm pretty sure that I am all about the slo-mo fighting scene, not this Snyder man you speak of.

the-matrix-neo-bullet-time.jpg

You, Kwai Chang Caine?! But surely, I perfected it, right? I mean, look at me going here!

He must have (It is the first time I saw it btw).

Karol

He really did. They never showed it on TV, only in the cinemas. It must have been too obscene, I guess.

I've been sick at home for the last 10 days, so I've watched a lot of films recently. Many posts will follow.

Let's start with Alien (1979) and Aliens (1986)

One being a direct sequel of the other, it's surprising how different these two movies are. I hadn't seen neither for several years.

I started, naturally, with Alien. The entire opening sequence, with no dialogue, was absolutely mesmerizing. Everything feels real, used up, truly industrial. And once the characters start talking, again the feeling is of great realism and naturality. I wouldn't say there's a great deal of character development per se, but more important than that, the characters feel, talk and act like real people. It's not so much what you know about the characters that makes you care for them, but they are so convicing and grounded you actually feel these are real people in this uncanny situation. This is obviosly not the case with Aliens, where all the characters, except maybe for Ripley, are pretty cardboard, stereotypical and most of their dialogue contributes absolutely nothing to the storytelling. Most of them could have no dialogue at all and the movie would suffer nothing from it. Still, Aliens is quite entertaning as a action flick, and when it gets going it really gets going, but I can only remember one memorable shot from it: Ripley's face dissolving into Earth, where as in Alien, the entire section on the spaceship wreck is a work of art, with some of the most stunning atmosphere and visual flare I have ever seen. Design and look wise, in Alien, I dare say the only element that looks dated are the light panels inside Mother. It trully feels timeless. Everything screams 80's in Aliens, and I would say the only interesting design addition was the Alien Queen, of which, btw, we were shown a bit too much.

In Aliens, as usual with Cameron movies, we have our fair share of clunky dialog, the reveal of the powerloader being the worst offender ("get away from her you bitch", preceded by a a sort of arrival of the heroine shot, trully awful and cringy stuff) and the menace of the creature is totally diluted by their sheer numbers. They don't seem intellingent at all, they just keep on dying by the hundreds because they can afford to. And concerning stupidity, how come in a planet that is only 1200 km in diameter (as stated in Alien), colonized for 20 years, no one discovered that huge spaceship wreck before? And was there any good reason to make Bishop a android?

Both scores were butchered completely in the movie (I even think I heard some of Goldsmith's score in Aliens), and in the case of Alien, I have no doubt Goldsmith's score would fit like a glove (as anyone ever tried to restore the original score to the movie?). All things considered, Aliens is a fun and engaging action flick, Alien, on the other hand, is a masterful exercice in atmosphere, design and visual storytelling and is, by far, IMHO, the most fascinating and engrossing of the two.

I have no doubt Goldsmith's score would fit like a glove (as anyone ever tried to restore the original score to the movie?).

Ummmm, the recent blu ray has Goldsmith's original score synced to picture...

The extended cuts of the Lord Of The Rings films have scenes that are completely unnecessary with McKellen just talking....and they are great. :)

My favourite McKellen bit from FOTR is when he's not talking, actually. It's the pause between "Don't" and "tempt me, Frodo".