What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Cinema is still an amazing, amazing thing; just not all of the time. The upside being that patience sometimes turns up all manner of surprises and unexpected gems, including Nicholas Cage movies.

Return of the Jedi

I have now completed watching the whole saga chronologically (again). I'm sure I'll watch it many more times. I talked a bit about ROTJ recently in one of my posts, but I have to say that I still love this movie. The score has some really great moments and themes (Jabba, the Emperor, the various rebel fleet themes, the Ewoks, Luke & Leia). Probably my favorite moment of the film and score is the final minutes of the confrontation between Luke and the Emperor, when Vader turns against the Emperor, with the men's choir singing in a hauntingly ethereal way. Also, I love the exhilirating moment when the Milennium Falcon bursts through the fireball out of the Death Star just before it explodes, coupled with Luke pulling the shuttle away from the docking bay - the tension is built perfectly.

ROTJ has perhaps the perfect plot form - an exciting opening sequence, a respite before the action, and then three simultaneous venues of action during the climax which reach their resolution at roughly the same time. This format is very fulfilling.

Lucas could have kept the denouement going for hours, considering all the possible post-Jedi plot threads we could follow, but luckily we have just a few minutes to bask in the Rebel victory before Hayden Christensen shows up ;) and the credits roll.

If you're lucky, this will be the last time I bring up Star Wars for a little while. I'll count on the rest of you to avoid discussing the prequels for at least a few months.

Cashback

The original short film. My film professor last semester showed it as part of our final exam, and we had to analyze several aspects. Really love it then, and finally got around to buying the DVD, it was only $8 on Amazon. Looking forward to watching the feature-length version. Picture quality sucks, though. (Had to say it :P)

EDIT

Watched the feature length film. The first 40 minutes or so are very good and retain the tone of the short, but the middle half drags a bit, and the ending was on the cliche side. It's a hard story to fill 100 minutes with. The narrative didn't feel linear, but that could have very well been the point. I would have cut a few scenes/characters that didn't support the whole.

Like John Williams did for Fiddler?

Williams won an Oscar, I doubt Mansell will anytime soon. ;)

To be fair, Williams won an Oscar for arranging Fiddler in 1971. That was shortly before Jaws made him a household name and he began churning out blockbuster themes every year, but long after scoring Lost in Space, Bachelor Flat, None But the Brave, How to Steal a Million, and receiving Oscar nods for Valley of the Dolls, The Reivers, and Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

Has Mansell had similar success in the past decade or so? I don't know.

It's important to remember that Williams won an Oscar for Fiddler in the Best ADAPTED Score category, which no longer exists. But if it did, Mansell surely would have been nominated.

'The Reef'

A bunch of Hollyoaks-types take a boat to the Great Barrier Reef. Said boat overturns, they decide to swim to a nearby island, and are stalked by a great white shark. Nifty low-budget Aussie thriller, actors are a bit annoying and there's a horrendous romantic subplot, but it's nice and tense and the real shark footage is well incorporated with only a sliver of dodgy CG. Music is atmospheric, occasionally derivative of 'Jaws' and 'Psycho'. A good watch, though.

'Who's That Knocking At My Door'

I'm going through Scorsese's features, and I'd never seen this one before. It's a brilliant debut, with an very good performance by Harvey Keitel, great editing and photography, and the usual perfect song choice. The editing in particular really stood out, especially the replay of the rape scene very harrowing. However, the lack of structure hinders the film a bit. But it's totally obvious how good a director he was going to be.

Let Me In. It's not a great story to me, but this is a very good take on it. Very similar in many ways, though with a few marked differences to the original, most of which work very well. The score is good in the film, and finally does get somewhere beautiful in the end, but it is still not as immediately striking as the theme for the first one (a more romantic film).

Oh man, that movie is just so simply satisfying. I knew from the anal way he wraps her birthday gift that this man could meter out a precision ass-kicking like none other.

In The Valley Of Elah: It's one of those movies that you can watch but that doesn't add anything to what you know or that you've already seen. Tommy Lee Jones plays once again the rugged and stubborn Mr. Know-it-all. I didn't immediately recognize Charlize Theron, that woman is a chameleon. If I didn't know any better, I could've sworn that this was a Clint Eastwood film.

filmelahDM_468x634.jpg

Alex

In The Valley Of Elah: It's one of those movies that you can watch but that doesn't add anything to what you know or that you've already seen. Tommy Lee Jones plays once again the rugged and stubborn Mr. Know-it-all. I didn't immediately recognize Charlize Theron, that woman is a chameleon. If I didn't know any better, I could've sworn that this was a Clint Eastwood film.

Good film, instantly forgettable.

Good film, instantly forgettable.

If you're talking about "In The Valley Of Elah", then yes, I thought that same way, too. Funny, that. Despite its serious subject matter, and its inherent message, I also found it to be a "car park" movie.

I don't quite know why, but I pair this film with (the much, much better) "Missing", probably because they both have the same sort of themes, and the same sort of "drive" for the main character.

I must admit that I didn't notice the score, despite liking Mark Isham's music (his jazz album "Blue Sun", is very good, and I like "Nell"). I really only know him as a trumpeter, and through his work with the impeccable X.T.C., on the C.D. "Oranges And Lemons", so I'll make a point of investigating his music further.

Hmmm. Interesting. I've never sat down and watched the whole thing before, but saw it cheap on Blu and grabbed it. I certainly don't hate it, and despite the fact that it does tend to plod a bit I was rarely bored. It really sucked me in, in fact. I think it's found a new fan.

And on a side note, it looks STUNNING on Blu. Particularly the spaceship interiors. Just a gorgeous restoration and transfer. At least to my eyes, could just be me enjoying my awesome new TV. ;)

Since I enjoyed this, is 2010 worth it?

No.

Doesn't drag as much as 2001 yet leaves one feeling unsatisfied. Don't know if they made it with more films planned or what but it feels like a complete waste of time for the actual crew in the movie, story wise.

I'm a massive fan of 2001.

The only think I'm not sure about it is that at the begining of the third chapter, it's has got a depressing tone (mainly because of the choice of music) that feels a bit out of place for me. Or maybe it's meant to create a feel of loneliness around the astronauts.

I've never seen 2010.

And on a side note, it looks STUNNING on Blu. Particularly the spaceship interiors. Just a gorgeous restoration and transfer. At least to my eyes, could just be me enjoying my awesome new TV. ;)

The best shot in the movie is the zoom in on the obelisk from the bed. Amazing.

2010 was somewhat prophetic. They predicted the US would be hitching rides with the Russians to get into space, which is exactly what will happen after the Space Shuttle retires this year.

I love 2001, but I have to be in the right mood. The Blu Ray extras are a bit crappy though.

It's a beautifully shot film, thick with atmosphere. I enjoyed it in the same way I enjoyed his Cape Fear remake. Cool, indulgent bliss.

Nah, Cape Fear had humor. Shutter Island is as atmospheric as Inception, meaning:

Screen-shot-2010-09-30-at-6.36.10-PM-220x167.png

Zero, zero, zero ... zero, zero, zero ...

Really? I thought it had bags of the stuff, thanks in no small part to Howard Shore, too.

Why Shore? The film didn't have an original score.

I agree with Quint, the atmosphere was a crucial part of the film and it had it in spades (like 'Inception').

Since I enjoyed this, is 2010 worth it?

Interesting. I read "2010" in 1982, before I saw the film, in February of 1985. Thematically, "2010"- the film - is completely redundant, due to the fact that the Starchild destroyed all neuclear weapons at the end of the novel "2001". Having said that, the novel "2010" still reads as an exciting space adventure.

The film plays (predictably, given the Reaganomics prevelant at the time) to the old Commie threat, yet offers hope in the fact that Americans and Russians are working together - even if it isn't by choice. The film is full of so many of those smart-ass characters which seem to populate Peter Hyams' imagination, and the opening (at the V.L.A.) was a real lost opportunity, the book having opened at Aricebo.

Still, the film has a lot to recommend; The SFX are gob-smacking, fully deserving an Oscar nod (they should have won!!!), and it's good to see Kier Dullea (who hadn't aged a jot!), and to hear Douglas Rain. The film also has that WILF/GILF Helen Mirren, although she does sport an unflattering, and very mid-eighties perm.

All'n'all, the film is a competent, and well made period piece, and in no way denigrates "2001".

The score, by David Shire, is one of my favourites, but if you manage to get hold of a copy, then ignore the Andy Summers' track...please! "Also Zprach Zarathustra" is played waaaaaaaaaaay too fast, but hey-ho, at least it's in the film...

While not as thought-provoking, nor beautiful-looking as "2001", "2010" does pose some interesting questions, while managing to entertain for 110 minutes. If you watch this on a decent 5.1, or 7.1 system, then turn the amp up and put the bass-boost on when Discovery fires up at the end ot the film ("3 - 2 - 1 - ignition, full thrust"). Whoa!!!

Really? I thought it had bags of the stuff, thanks in no small part to Howard Shore, too.

Why Shore? The film didn't have an original score.

It didn't? I'm confused.

I was at first as well, but it turns out it was made up of orchestral pieces selected by Scorsese and Robbie Robertson.

I'm still perplexed though - I could have sworn I saw Shore's name in the opening credits, but a quick google has found nothing to back up my apparent fantasy. Fuckin' weird shit, I tell thee.

It's probably just alzheimer's.