What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Is that the one with Jason Statham?

Well, the one that features that Martinez chick.

I thought it was gonna be dire but I laughed my head off. The perfect brainless movie.

Yes, sorta like the first AvP. Paul W.S. Anderson makes pure and honest modern-day grindhouse cinema but nobody gets it because the cover doesn't say "Quentin Tarantino presents". Really, they should make more of them.

Watched The Hotel New Hampshire. Love these sorts of movies. Completely barmy, yet wonderfully unique and true. Humour is but a natural byproduct, and there's plenty of it in this very funny story. Wes Anderson likes to think he's the first to do this sort of movie, bless him.

Master Joey, formerly known as JoeinAr, complained about the picture quality of the Blu-ray. He said it wasn't much of an improvement over the regular DVD. The quality of the film stock wasn't too good, I believe.

And I say it looks very good on Blu, considerably better than on DVD. Contrast in all the night sky scenes is fine, and full HD resolution will improve any star field.

PotC, on tv. First time in years.

The reasons the movie is so popular are obvious: it's got all the right ingredients for good, worthwhile family entertainment. It's a feel good adventure and only a dried-up old misery guts would fail to see it as such. Shame it's so damn long.

The score, whilst suitable and memorable; is 100% reliant on the same fucking tune from start to finish. Luckily for the producers, only a score enthusiast will notice. Nobody else could give a shit.

up.gif

Well, except for the bit about the score using the same tune from start to finish. That's simply not true...it's got a variety of different melodic ideas. They are all, however, firmly rooted in that MV power anthem sound and thus don't immediately stand out as different themes. Doesn't help that their leitmotivic associations are rather intermittent, too. And of course, they all get used quite a bit...some more than others...so it is rather easy to get a sense of "here we go again" if you're paying attention to the music, especially toward the end, when the quasi-love theme gets used a LOT.

Imagine if Raiders of the Lost Ark recycled various arrangements of the Raiders March for every action, romance and comedy sequence in the movie, every ten minutes, and you would have a close approximation of what the PotC score is.

After recovering from the horrible cgi eye-bleed of the first act, I soon settled in and accepted what Brannagh was asking of me - to suspend disbelief and go along with it. Once I realised that Thor's home world was supposed to look like an unbelievable hyper-fantastic utopia, I was fine with the Lucasesque digital cityscapes, I got it. And it worked. These godly beings shouldn't be grounded in reality.

yes, it's CGI that works in the context of the film and the surreal world were looking at

As opposed to CGI that doesn't work (unrealistic stunts like the tank falling out of the airplane in A-Team)

I thought asgard or whatever the hell their world was called was Oz on steroids.

I'm wanting to add to my horror movie collection, I'm going to add some Amicus and Hammer horror. Some of the anthologies to start.

The Joneses. I really didn't know what to expect, since I didn't know a whole lot about the film, but I enjoyed it. Interesting premise, very decent acting, and a none-too-subtle message that nevertheless serves the film well.

A part of me hoped or even expected the film to end without Mulder (

;)) getting the girl, but I guess that would have been pushing it. The ending they went with was satisfying enough, if not very supportive of the film's themes.

Not as an adult, and only a bad print shown on commercial TV in the 90's. The film looked so dark and murky then.

I remember narration so i guess it was the original release.

Alex, did Deckard eyes have the orange sheen in the original film, or did Scott add it for the final cut?

Added for the final cut

I would have recommended you watch the theatrical cut for your first time seeing it as an adult. Oh well.

Alex, did Deckard eyes have the orange sheen in the original film, or did Scott add it for the final cut?

When did he have this?

Yes, the narration is only in the theatrical cut.

Alex - who also seen The Final Cut once

When did he have this?

Noticed in in a scene with rachel in his appartment in one shot their eyes both seemed to have an orange sheen.

Which version do you prefer Alex?

Aah, that was already in the theatrical cut. It's when Deckard says: "No (I won't go after you), but somebody else will." It's one of the hints Ridley Scott put in to tell the observant viewer that Deckard is a replicant. Jordan Cronenweth explains in American Cinematographer that the red eye effect is done with a mirror.

I sorta like them all, Steef. Although I think I will always prefer the TC because it's the version I first fell in love with. Also, it's somewhat more subtle in regard with the Deck-is-a-rep case.

Alex

Bladerunner talk, jeez, another overrated Scott film,

So which camp you in then, Steef? Replicant or human?

Interesting question, but not one I can answer.

One of the scriptwriters and Ford considered him human, but Scott wanted him to be a replicant.

The question is then who has more authority over a character, the director, the writer or the actor that portrays the character.

I think the really interesting part is that there was a disagreement. Resulting in Ford playing the character as completely human, and Scott planting clues as to Deckard being something other then human.

It makes for an interesting watch, far moreso then if both had truly agreed on the matter.

The question is probably more interesting and relevant then any possible answer.

I sorta like them all, Steef. Although I think I will always prefer the TC because it's the version I first fell in love with.

It's also the version that was apparently dumbed down, so people could understand what was going on. ;)

Also, it's somewhat more subtle in regard with the Deck-is-a-rep case.

Alex

When was the question of Deckards humanity first posed? was it before the Directors Cut in the 90's?

I think the theatrical cut is the tightest version of the movie, and doesn't feature anything CLEARLY shot and conceived years later, such as the unicorn stuff.

Yes the narration wasn't necessary, and the studio shouldn't have forced them to put it in, but it actually came out alright IMO, I don't mind it. The happy ending is more annoying and even more unnecessary, but I think the other aspects of the theatrical cut outweigh its inclusion.

The final cut is interesting to watch once you've seen the theatrical cut and let it marinate in your head for a while.

I think the theatrical cut is the tightest version of the movie, and doesn't feature anything CLEARLY shot and conceived years later, such as the unicorn stuff.

I was under the impression the Unicorn scene was done for the film originally, but not used.

The question is probably more interesting and relevant then any possible answer.

Great answer!

It's also the version that was apparently dumbed down, so people could understand what was going on. ;)

On some other level, yes, but one might like it for it also adds to the film noir atmosphere.

When was the question of Deckards humanity first posed? was it before the Directors Cut in the 90's?

Well, like I said, I prefer the TC because it's more subtle towards the Deck-is-a-rep case. That means the question was already posed in the first cut.

I was under the impression the Unicorn scene was done for the film originally, but not used.

True, Ridley Scott already decribes this in 1982. They told him to cut the scene during the editing. It was deemed too arty by the producers.

I must say I totally prefer Scott's point of view on the story. That Ford played the character as a human is great, because that's the whole point. I think the ending is far more powerful now. Look at Ford's expression at the last scene. Brilliant manipulation of the actor's intentions.

How much time have them to live now and try to be happy, running away?

Why would you create short lived slaves, only to give them authentic human minds? How cruel is that?

I thought the unicorn footage was made up of outtakes from "Legend", but I can't find a source to back that statement up right now

This is a pretty good page to take you through the different versions, however:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_of_Blade_Runner

Why would you create short lived slaves, only to give them authentic human minds? How cruel is that?

Well, if he's like Rachael, then there's no built-in safety system (like the voiceover claims is the case with Rachael in the Theatrical Cut).

Hey Mark O,

I got my copy of X the Unknown, Mothra, and Battle in Outerspace today.

I'll give one of them a look see tonight.

I sorta like them all, Steef. Although I think I will always prefer the TC because it's the version I first fell in love with.

Well it makes perfect sense then that he would prefer it. Back then, Alex was nowhere near as wise as he is now.

We only had that version in those days. Ten years later, the DC appeared and I missed the voiceover. Without it, the tone of the film changed. Plus, the unicorn sequence made Ridley's intent obvious to a lot more folks. I loved that the idea was buried and obscure. It moved like a layer underneath the surface. Now it's a lot more definite.

It clearly irked Scott that some people had come to think beyond what he claims to have intended, which at the end of the day is his prerogative.

We only had that version in those days. Ten years later, the DC appeared and I missed the voiceover. Without it, the tone of the film changed. Plus, the unicorn sequence made Ridley's intent obvious to a lot more folks. I loved that the idea was buried and obscure. It moved like a layer underneath the surface. Now it's a lot more definite.

The Unicorn is what basically seals the deal and makes it very clear what Deckard is.

What clues were there in the TC? The orange sheen in that one scene? Rachels question if Deckard had ever dine the test on himself? Anything else?

It clearly irked Scott that some people had come to think beyond what he claims to have intended, which at the end of the day is his prerogative.

Absolutely. The funny thing is Scott is now frustrated because, even with the unicorn shot included, people don't believe that Deckard is a replicant, or better, or they still don't see it.

The Unicorn is what basically seals the deal and makes it very clear what Deckard is.

What clues were there in the TC? The orange sheen in that one scene? Rachels question if Deckard had ever dine the test on himself? Anything else?

I'm pretty sure Alex is wrong and that orange eyes were not in the theatrical cut but I can't find a source to back that up at the moment

Absolutely. The funny thing is Scott is now frustrated because, even with the unicorn shot included, people don't believe that Deckard is a replicant, or better, or they still don't see it.

As you said, it's just a bloody shame he felt the need to be so unnecessarily forthcoming with his intended vision; completely overlooking the timeless value of ambiguity.

I suppose on the other hand one could say it reveals how passionately he feels about it.

I'm pretty sure Alex is wrong and that orange eyes were not in the theatrical cut but I can't find a source to back that up at the moment

You are kidding, right? You do know why you can never find sources to back it up, right?

I guess I just never noticed the orange eyes until I saw the Final Cut in theaters back in '07

The DVD of the DC did have terrible picture quality