A really good score by Klaus Badelt?

Luke Skywalker

Well i just saw an spanish movie about a kid that grew up with wolves in the middle 50's because the sheepherd who was taking care of him died. It's called 'Entre lobos' (Among wolves)

I noticed the spanish flavoured score (not flamenco, just spanish guitar prominent), fully orchestral, very emotive and wondered which spanish composer had done it (roque baños, alberto iglesias, javier navarrete??) And then the end credits apper with the name of Klaus badelt.

Unvelievable, there was not a single remote control productions mannerism. completely fooled me.

it is really a nice score, but i cant see an oficial cd announced so we may not get one...

And then i ask...why in the hell have they hired famous hollywood composer when we have very fine composers who can achieve perfectly the same sound?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Badelt's international assignments have proven to be extremely enjoyable. Check out fantastic epic score for chinese The Promise or a very funny one for french Le Petit Nicolas. The guy surely has talent, which, unfortunately, he cannot make use of in his Hollywood movies. Moreover, I strongly believe that if it hadn't been for Bruckheimer's lack of musical taste, his PotC score might have been much, much better that what it really is.

Regarding your question, I think that hiring a Hollywood composer was meant to be some sort a marketing strategy - making an impression of importance and grand scope of the production.

Some of his stuff for The Prince of Egypt or Gladiator was quite enjoyable. I recently read an interview with him were people keep asking him about POTC and he said something like "You know, I've written some good music after that".

And I agree, listening to his stuff for non-Hollywood films makes me wonder if he could have delivered a real pirate score for POTC, if Bruckheimer wasn't deaf. Of course, this would have probably avoided Silvestri from getting fired...

What did Badelt do in Prince of Egypt?

I don't rememeber where I read this, but as I recall he did parts of "Chariot Race" with Gregson-Williams, with Zimmer's themes. Perhaps Koray can confirm if this is right?

I haven't heard anything about Badelt working on The Prince Of Egypt.

Don't be surprised though, Luke. Badelt is a fantastic composer with his own style. Honestly, The Curse Of The Black Pearl is the only thing of his that sounds like Zimmer (well then there's of course the glaring fact that Zimmer did most of the score himself). I'm actually disappointed that Badelt doesn't work in the Hollywood realm anymore. If you've noticed he's pretty much exclusively international now. His last 5-10 scores were all European.

Someone mentioned The Promise earlier. That's a great one, and I also recommend Rescue Dawn and Ned Kelly.

So it begins!

KBFan.net, coming in 2011.

Honestly though, I haven't heard any of the scores mentioned, so I really can't judge. Other than the firt Pirates, I've only heard Badelt's The Time Machine, which I didn't really like.

I've been listening to The Time Machine , againand it's the kind of enjoyable, somewhat bland, quite derivative score that marks a composer's early period, when he's got no voice and is ably aping others. Unfortunatley, nothing Badelt has done since shows real improvement- if anything, I'm pretty bored by subsequent scores of his I've heard.

K-19 only for the involvement of Valery Gergiev and having some great Russian music. The only Badelt score I'll ever own.

Regarding your question, I think that hiring a Hollywood composer was meant to be some sort a marketing strategy - making an impression of importance and grand scope of the production.

but they usually advertise those kind of things alot, and i learnt it in the end credits... I think not even the posters have full credits aside from actors and director...

Yeah, The Time Machine certainly has some RC-like elements, but there's some fun material in it. It doesn't sound like a Zimmer knockoff on the whole.

I agree. I find much of the Time Machine to be enjoyable. Haven't heard much of his other stuff though.

Yeah, The Time Machine certainly has some RC-like elements, but there's some fun material in it. It doesn't sound like a Zimmer knockoff on the whole.

Correct, it's a Goldsmith knockoff. ;)

Hans Zimmer and Jay Rifkin founded Media Ventures in the early 90s. The studio housed many well-known composers working today such as John Powell, Harry Gregson-Williams and Mark Mancina. At around the time Zimmer got sued for Gladiator, Rifkin and Zimmer had some sort of fight and "split up." Rifkin claimed he came up with the name MV and won it in a lawsuit I believe. Thus, Remote Control Productions was born.

Both terms, MV and RCP (or simply RC), are used when talking about Zimmer and his studio of composers.