The Golden Globe Nominations.

Ollie

yes,I just remembered the whole argument now

Well as far as Horror films go I guess we can look forward to Saw XIIIII and Final Destination XVIII because that was the clear message it sent to Hollywood execs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The score is quite good, and definitely not your everyday fare. Yes, it's music.

I don't doubt it's music... and if people like it, well, be my guest (but seriously? I can enjoy many things, but this music was just awful, almost intolerable to me; ah, whatever). It does not, however, function as a score, something that Santaolalla's soundtracks at least sometimes seem to do (though I have limited experience there). I still think if The Social Network is considered as "best score", I have a very different opinion on what a score is or should be, compared to the jury and evidently to many people here. Maybe I'm too old fashioned. Anyway, since much of The Social Network is actually adapted from an existing album by the composers (so I've heard), would then a slightly adapted Vangelis album (etc.) reused as a soundtrack qualify for the category "best score"? I have a hard time to be objective here, but in my opinion this whole thing is faux-modern/novel but at the same time entirely unoriginal, and I hope other directors don't try to emulate this style.

1)My top movies of the year:

Kick-Ass

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt.1

Let Me In

Black Swan

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Karate Kid

The Ghostwriter

Inception

The Town

Hot Tub Time Machine

2)Worst movies of the year (there seem to be a lot this year):

The Losers

Takers

Date Night

Alice in Wonderland

Robin Hood

Iron Man 2

Jonas Hex

A-Team

The Expendables

Sorcerer's Apprentice

Narnia Voyage of the Dawn Trader

Skyline

3)Movies s lot of people liked but I didn't care about:

Toy Story 3

Social Network

Unstoppable

No I didn't. I said it was overrated and there was some things I didn't like about it

I also criticize The Dark Knight a lot but there's also a lot of things I like about it

My problem with Nolan is not exposing the plot lines and story in a very coherent manner and you have to keep track what's going on constantly

The score is quite good, and definitely not your everyday fare. Yes, it's music.

I don't doubt it's music... and if people like it, well, be my guest (but seriously? I can enjoy many things, but this music was just awful, almost intolerable to me; ah, whatever). It does not, however, function as a score, something that Santaolalla's soundtracks at least sometimes seem to do (though I have limited experience there). I still think if The Social Network is considered as "best score", I have a very different opinion on what a score is or should be, compared to the jury and evidently to many people here. Maybe I'm too old fashioned. Anyway, since much of The Social Network is actually adapted from an existing album by the composers (so I've heard), would then a slightly adapted Vangelis album (etc.) reused as a soundtrack qualify for the category "best score"? I have a hard time to be objective here, but in my opinion this whole thing is faux-modern/novel but at the same time entirely unoriginal, and I hope other directors don't try to emulate this style.

Although I don't share your criticism of this score (I'm actually quite fond of it), my brother, who is a huge NIN fan, immediatly recognized as being straight out The Fragile album

I have one track from The Fragile. Harry used a part of it in Man On Fire to great effect. I actually don't doubt if he collaborated on it, since he produced the album and I think did some arrangements for Reznor.

All I've heard about The Social Network score is that it sounds like a continuation of one of Reznor's albums. Forgot the name, definitely wasn't The Fragile.

The Social Network score is definitely a continuation of the sound from Ghosts, which itself was a continuation of the sound from the instrumental tracks from The Fragile

Got to agree with paleo. I'm listening to selections from this on Spotify, and this does not represent excellence in film scoring.

One track appears to be the sound of frantic typing recorded underwater.

This has only been nominated because of the film it scores, I guarantee.

Well yeah, Powell being ignored is disappointing, especially considering this was his best chance to finally be noticed by the Academy. Hopefully he can still garner an Oscar nom in the least. I also am not so sure that The Social Network is one of the best scores of the year, but it's definitely good and works really well in the context of the film.

127 Hours is the one that stands out the most. I hope to god it won't be another Gustavo situation come Oscar time. Again, good effective score, but a nomination? No, it doesn't deserve it.

I just watched HTTYD again and out of all the films I've seen this year, this is the best scored film. I thought Inception was decently scored but the music didn't necessarily add the extra dimension to the film that I found HTTYD did with Powell's score. Don't get me wrong- HTTYD is a damn great film regardless but the music adds that extra layer of wonder and excitement. I must have seen this film 20 times now and it has yet to wear off. It's an outstanding film and one that brings me back to the feeling of being a kid watching films again. That's a very rare thing for a film to achieve for me these days. I do hope Powell gets an Oscar nod. It's his most developed and impressive score to date.