What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

19 hours ago, Caliburn said:

No that is what they did in the past. Nowadays for those extra's you have to buy a blind CD with some random tracks on it and hope those ones you are still missing are on there. This is seen as gambling, which children have access to. Since it is Star Wars, gamble associations across Europe finally took notice of it and we will see what the future holds.

About the 300 million dollars: It is Star Wars.. it sells :-)

It technically isn’t gambling because there is no chance of loss. You always get something. Microtransactions aren’t a disease, but they can be predatory and pay-to-win game design is always a bad idea. Again, they can be implemented in a positive way, and games like Overwatch and GTA Online prove that in spades. 

And yes, Star Wars prints money. EA told its shareholders that turning off microtransactions won’t affect the games profits. 

In my point of view, it is gambling, because the "something" you mentioned is often filler items you do not want or need. So you want to buy more. I am not interested in the Trumpet overlay of track 5 if I already have it for example. I almost had the urge to gamble for more boxes for that reason in Overwatch. I would prefer that I could just buy that cosmetic item in Overwatch that I want instead of buying and opening virtual blind boxes and hoping for the item that I want to pop out.

I understand your point of view. The US agrees with your statement, and a lot of European countries (and Austrailia?) agree with mine.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It technically isn’t gambling because there is no chance of loss. You always get something.

So lottery isn't gambling because you always get a piece of paper for your money? You can write notes on the back, wipe your bum with it, it has objective value. Not much, but you're guaranteed to get it for your money.

Ive never been too keen  on random loot. I guess that's the reason people get addicted to Diablo and I didn't like it

If you have to pay for them it's even worse

I used to think I hated the RNG loot grind too, until I got into Destiny. Then I discovered it was hugely moreish and addictive to chase down those "god rolls" which nobody else had (again, the multiplayer aspect is fundamental to this experience and investment). So when Destiny 2 got rid of random weapon rolls, well it was head scratching to say the least. There's a big outcry from players at the moment to see them reinstated. 

18 hours ago, Holko said:

So lottery isn't gambling because you always get a piece of paper for your money? You can write notes on the back, wipe your bum with it, it has objective value. Not much, but you're guaranteed to get it for your money.

Invalid argument, I’m afraid. 

The dungeons on Persona 5 are really elaborate , something you don't see that often in JRPG's anymore

Problem with that game is in between the main missions , you have to sit through hours and hours of cut scenes. I've been playing 2 days since the last dungeon and all I've done is taking to NPC's

I'm 90 hours in and I think I finished a little over half of the game

Mega Man 11 announced.

This is where I admit I never played a single Mega Man game until like 3 years ago, despite owning an NES and SNES back in the day.  I just have 0 attachment to this franchise.  But I'm very happy for the people who are really excited about this announcement!

We used to rent MegaMan games for NES from the pharmacy back when we were kids, but I'd bet I never finished a single zone.  I downloaded a demo of the first modern sequel a handful of years ago and had the same experience.  Just not my kind of platformer, I guess.

That's why MM2 is the only good one, its better balanced.  Got too hard and too complicated after that.

Though, I hear Mega Man X for the SNES is actually pretty good, but I never played that one back in the day, so look forward to checking it out on my snes classic

I almost gave my largely unplayed copy of Battlefield 1 away to the guy who bought my PS4 a couple of weeks ago, but I held onto it in the end knowing there I was getting a Pro and being curious about seeing and feeling its visual upgrades on the more powerful system. Then the season pass was massively discounted over Black Friday week so I picked it up.

OMG DIS GAME. 

There's nothing else quite like it available on any platform, the Operations mode, with its sweeping PvP campaigns are jaw-droppingly spectacular. The newer additions to the map rotations have really expanded on all aspects of the multiplayer and it all looks like millions of dollars on your TV screen, such are the pristine production values on display. 

I had been playing a bit of the latest CoD recently, but that game is just dwarfed by BF1. 

They’re two different beasts, and I’m glad both franchises exist. Battlefield’s production values will always be better than COD, and while I really enjoyed my time with 1, the more arcade-y style of gameplay of COD appeals to me more. The campaigns are top notch too in terms of fidelity. Infinite Warfare is one of the best looking shooters out there. I still can’t put WWII down though, and I love that they stole Operations from Battlefield. Such a great game mode. 

I'll keep hold of CoD for the time being because I do like it and I also want to go through its campaign. It's just a pity they're still charging for the maps because not only are they expensive but even worse it's a model which causes awful player fragmentation which I really can't abide, particularly in 2017 where other games are making efforts to avoid that situation. Plus the existing maps aren't all good ones... 

It does and I despised the model in that franchise too. But then they announced the Premium Trials, which seem to be long monthly events for non premium players that allows them access to the latest maps. Coupled with the 11.99 price I paid for the pass, it's working out very well for me - I'm easily finding matches on any map in any mode. That's historically been my main beef with paid maps, the aforementioned fragmentation it causes. CoD ought to rethink its own DLC model I think. 

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

while I really enjoyed my time with 1, the more arcade-y style of gameplay of COD appeals to me more. 

Did you ever dabble in BF's TDM and Domination modes? These are much more "jump in and have a blast" fast-paced affairs, along the same lines as CoD and countless other online shooters. I generally warm up in these modes, they're fantastic. The new maps have some very cool indoor spaces for this style of gameplay. One of the reasons I eventually got into the franchise was because BF3 began branching into the smaller, more arcadey shooter modes. Before then I used to largely regard Battlefield as a running simulator. 

Yeah I’ve put a good amount of hours into each one since 3, which was my first.

There are some quality of life issues I have with DICE that are inexplicably never fixed from year to year. The party and class systems being the biggest offenders. I think for one game they finally let you edit your class outside of a game, but then went back the following year. 

Definitely agree with that, especially the class editing thing. I was surprised to see they have actually implemented that into BF1 at last, it's far more practical than fiddling about during an actual match. 

With CoD, I love how a quick button press instantly takes the player to the social space and back out again. Imagine Destiny did that? 

Have you played recently? They changed that with the latest patch, which I’m bummed about. You no longer are always in HQ and have to load it up from the endgame screen. I guess they were having connectivity issues for whatever reason. For the first couple weeks I never had anyone else in my HQ. 

Credits rolling for Persona 5 at 152 hours

The is one of the longest game I've ever played and I even rushed the last part because I have a library deadline tomorrow. I spent the weekend glued to my console just taking breaks to eat.

But overall it was great, all the  content was very high quality.

Alright ,I'm jumping right into  Y's VIII, Lacrimosa of Dana which seems like a classic action JRPG

Review is pretty great

https://kotaku.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-the-kotaku-review-1798552332

So far Ys VIII a very interesting and different game

-Your shipwrecked on an island and you have to gradually build your village and resources by finding the other castaways

-The game is very exploration based, it reminds of of Yonder, the Cloud Catcher Chronicles, except with monsters and combat

-The intricacy of the world reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles in the way it is designed

-The combat is very good, and you can get wiped out if your not careful

The only negative is the graphics from the PS3 era. And the character models and monsters look almost PS2 actually .I really hate how some of these JRPG's  are pared down to "accomodate" the PS Vita

• 2 weeks later...

Read the fine print. It's talking about when it impairs judgment, when people would rather play video games than go to work or have a stable relationship or even something simple like eat or bathe. 

The underlying theme is addiction. 

12 hours ago, Quintus said:

The MMO genre easily eclipses all other forms of gaming as the main breeding ground for acute addiction to the video game hobby. 

Outside South Korea, yeah. Those folks are addicted to fucking StarCraft. 

13 hours ago, Woj said:

Read the fine print. It's talking about when it impairs judgment, when people would rather play video games than go to work or have a stable relationship or even something simple like eat or bathe. 

The underlying theme is addiction. 

Yes, i did read the article.

Finished Ys VIII ,Lacrimosa of Dana

I think it's one of the best overrall JRPG's I played in a while. Seems to take the best elements of all of them in one game. Only downside is the graphics not quite up to PS4 standards, but the art design was nice enough to off set that

It's definitely one to start on if you never tried the genre

It wasn't a snap decision. It took me years to arrive at this conclusion. 

I also had an RA in undergrad who did nothing but play video games. We called him a gook. He just laughed.