What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

When you've spent the past 15 hours of gameplay exploring the rolling wilderness like this:

OxEZLa8.jpg

And then you stumble on an anomaly in the environment like this:

QM4pbiw.jpg

The allure to venture within is one of the most immediately powerful in all of gaming:

bIf4P2s.jpg

And then you suddenly realise you're not in Kansas anymore...

1nYvpIR.jpg

Guerrilla, like Valve before them, really get it: the juxtaposition of the earthly mundane against a backdrop of grand science fiction is endlessly compelling to the imaginative mind. It's really fantastic when somebody gets it so right. 

15 minutes ago, Quintus said:

the juxtaposition of the earthly mundane against a backdrop of grand science fiction is endlessly compelling to the imaginative mind. It's really fantastic when somebody gets it so right. 

Totally, agreed, Quint!

That's actually one of the things I like about the newest Zelda; It's primarily a medieval fantasy world (swords, axes, simple clothes, bows but no guns, etc) and you pretty much just walk around in completely earthy settings (forests, snowscapes, deserts, simple villages), there's these just straight out sci-fi concepts thrown into the mix as well (your tablet and its powers, the shrines, the guardians, etc) that just work so wonderfully well together.

I'm definitely on the lookout for a bargain on Horizon Zero Dawn!

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

When you've spent the past 15 hours of gameplay exploring the rolling wilderness like this:

OxEZLa8.jpg

And then you stumble on an anomaly in the environment like this:

QM4pbiw.jpg

The allure to venture within is one of the most immediately powerful in all of gaming:

bIf4P2s.jpg

And then you suddenly realise you're not in Kansas anymore...

1nYvpIR.jpg

Guerrilla, like Valve before them, really get it: the juxtaposition of the earthly mundane against a backdrop of grand science fiction is endlessly compelling to the imaginative mind. It's really fantastic when somebody gets it so right. 

That would be one of the underground facilities I told you about earlier ;)

Speaking of Uncharted, last night I earned the platinum in Lost Legacy. Now I’m going back for a second run of Hellblade to get that platinum, and forgot how incredible that game is. My GOTY list is probably gonna end up looking something like:

1. Horizon

2. Hellblade

3. Uncharted

4. Cuphead

I’m also playing through Undertale on the Vita. A fun little Pokémon style RPG. 

Uncharted, Hellblade, and Undertale are complete and put away. Now I’ve been playing through South Park: The Fractures But Whole. Truly hilarious and fun, a RPG-lite with turn-based gameplay. Any fan of the show should check it out. 

@Quintus I finally started up SOMA the other night. I feel like I asked you this before but how long did it take you to run through it? I played for about an hour or so and it feels a bit sluggish. Also not a huge fan of the run and hide gameplay. It’s why I never finished Alien: Isolation. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

@Quintus I finally started up SOMA the other night. I feel like I asked you this before but how long did it take you to run through it? I played for about an hour or so and it feels a bit sluggish. Also not a huge fan of the run and hide gameplay. It’s why I never finished Alien: Isolation. 

I hate helpless hiding games too, I get bored with the mechanics of that very quickly, hence why I could never get into Outlast and the like. SOMA does have moments like that dotted throughout, but they are thankfully not the main brunt of the gameplay and are paced quite well. Overall those moments are infrequent in SOMA (not to mention that later on some such scenes are superbly executed, others not so much).

SOMA is all about the lonely exploration and its storyline, which are incredible. You probably haven't got far enough to appreciate what I'm getting at yet, and perhaps you won't and never will. But the adventure goes in spectacular and searingly immersive directions. Play with headphones! 

Btw, I almost gave up at the opening of the game too. The whole thing is about 10 hours. It is certainly no action game, but I very much enjoyed the tense pace and how the story very expertly unwinds. But sure, I guess that sort of thing isn't for everyone. Personally speaking, it's one of greatest games I've played in the past thirty years.

I’ll probably truck through it then. I did like the beginning mystery of these robots consuming human consciousness. Game has an odd humor to it with that so far, mainly because the main character is such a ditz. 

I did find myself getting lost amongst the giant open-ish underwater parts. It was a relief to finally find the train. But now I’m back out in it and that’s where I paused. 

Once I got to the underwater areas I was sold and highly motivated to continue, the mystery of what happened driving me on. It could just be that SOMA isn't your kind of thing.

I’m probably playing it too reserved. Crouching through the weeds, etc. I’ll start running around a bit more. I got caught by the giant robot at one point and essentially turned a corner and it went back on its preset route.

I enjoyed Outlast enough to finish it and buy the DLC. So not sure what didn’t click for me here. 

Bought Atelier Firis , The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey .I alwaysplay these new installments of this JRPG series. It's mostly focused on crafting items and light hearted so it's relaxing

I waited 6 months for the library to get it so I could borrow it but they didn't so I grabbed it for 30$( 40$ discount) . But as luck would have it , the day after I bought it and opened the box, it suddenly shows up in the library search function. Grrr...

• 2 weeks later...

A month and a half later I finally beat Mass Effect Andromeda (103 hours). Still have a few post game sidequests

I should have Persona 5 in a few days

It's the big viral sensation at the moment in this medium. It's the gaming equivalent of fingering a budding actress on her first casting call; everyone has jumped on the bandwagon with this one too.

On 11/16/2017 at 11:19 PM, Nick Parker said:

The Persona series is pretty obnoxious to me, but Persona 5, this one is real special. And the music for it is great, Shoji Meguro is one of my favorites. I love that he's got his own thing going on and doesn't feel chained to the "lush orchestral" factory work that some other Japanese media is ripe with, especially RPGs. (I promise I'm not telling you this to scare you away ;) )

I love his score to Catherine.

Just finished Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. A fun extra helping of A Thief's End, but with two female leads and an interesting macguffin plot. The score by Henry Jackman was good too, good enough for me to want a track and discover, *here we go again* the piece I want is unreleased! Micro-edited out of the track! Bastards!

The world is very detailed and the character skins are very lifelike with the textures etc.

Played some COD WWII last night, it came bundled with my Pro. I got my arse handed to me for two hours, but I quite enjoyed getting to grips with it and will probably dig in and eventually dig myself out. The PvP multiplayer package is incredibly scroungy though, at just 9 maps - feels like there's half the amount of vanilla maps available at launch than COD games used to ship with, back when I was still playing them online (how long ago was World at War?). It's pretty unacceptable actually. Presumably they're going to add one or two more free ones into rotation. I won't be buying the stupid expansion pass bollocks they're still intend on peddling. 

I haven't been into War mode yet, but I'm fully looking forward to diving in once I feel good enough. I've been warming up in all of the other more traditional modes first, but the repetition of the same small handful of maps is definitely a thing dragging the experience down for me (and they're not exactly great maps btw, being painfully small, uninspired and completely lacking in interesting verticality). I'm not sure about the preorder map, I'll have to see if I have it installed. 

Verticality is one thing I noticed they were lacking, but that’s probably due to them wanting to put a greater emphasis on “boots on the ground.” That fans who left because of the jet pack gameplay would be happy with the return to form. I like a lot of them but there are a couple that I don’t particularly enjoy. I have noticed that the rotation is pretty bad, which is what may be contributing to the small repetitive feel. I swear London Docks appears 90% of the time. 

Yeah, that map is completely unimaginative as COD maps go IMO. By verticality I mean I'd just like some multistorey options built into the environment. There's strangely very little in the way of even two floor buildings in this game. 

On 11/24/2017 at 8:11 AM, Jay said:

You didn't know that before you bought it?

The longer the better for  me.

But it's a library borrow and I have 3 weeks so I have to play it intensively

It's a really fun game that you can't let go of the controller and look forward to playing again

On 19/11/2017 at 4:47 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Playing the battlefield one campaign.  Much harder than your average shooter.  Storyline is serviceable, music is overly modern shite though.  

I quite like the music, I think it's a nice mix of spirited orchestral heroics and electronic pulse. 

I've been thinking about the problem I'm having with solo campaign games lately and the fact that there's an insurmountable wealth of excellent titles available these last few years and how they're still pouring into my backlog completely unabated, it's absolutely relentless. I don't want to miss out on any of them in the same way I don't want to miss out on great movies, but the problem is this: I spend far too much of my gaming time playing online competitive multiplayer stuff instead. Instead of progressing in Horizon Zero Dawn I'll plug away at BF1 instead, or in Destiny's Crucible against other players. I love that shit and it stops me from enjoying all these other amazing games which are sitting in their boxes beneath my TV. It's annoying. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I quite like the music, I think it's a nice mix of spirited orchestral heroics and electronic pulse. 

I've been thinking about the problem I'm having with solo campaign games lately and the fact that there's an insurmountable wealth of excellent titles available these last few years and how they're still pouring into my backlog completely unabated, it's absolutely relentless. I don't want to miss out on any of them in the same way I don't want to miss out on great movies, but the problem is this: I spend far too much of my gaming time playing online competitive multiplayer stuff instead. Instead of progressing in Horizon Zero Dawn I'll plug away at BF1 instead, or in Destiny's Crucible against other players. I love that shit and it stops me from enjoying all these other amazing games which are sitting in their boxes beneath my TV. It's annoying. 

I feel you on this one. I have a lot of stuff to play but I’ve literally only played COD online since November 3rd. 

That's why I don't play multiplayer

I get to fully finish 20-30 games a year

To me Multiplayer feels as empty as walking around in Far Cry after you finish the main game and sidequests and just killing random enemies with no real purpose

4 hours ago, Woj said:

Isn't this why EA added microtransactions to the latest Star Wars shoot-em-up? 

Microtransactions are a hot topic in the industry right now, but they aren’t inherently bad and can be done right. EA just fucked it up so bad that Disney stepped in and told them to turn them off. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

To me (or any other competitive gamer) it's anything but empty. It's tense and exciting, thrilling, maddening and satisfying. Endlessly repayable. 

This. There’s a thrill to competing against live players over oft predictable AI. COD WWII adds an awesome small feature that exemplifies this greatly and I love it. Overtime in War mode that requires at least one player to be on the objective in order to continue the game past the game clock. Every time someone leaves an orchestral boom gets the adrenaline pumping as you try to reach it before the final second ticks. 

They're worse... You buy a CD for $20 with twenty tracks, but you don't get the end credits. That'll be $1 extra. Track 5 doesn't include the trumpet overlay, another $1. Track 15 ends halfway through, you guessed it, another $1. When it's all said and done, you pay another $20 to unlock all the bonus content the CD did not include up front. 

But in the case of Battlefront 2, you can pay for a 1$ box which has a 95 percent chance of including the Track 5 trumpet overlay, 3.8% chance of getting the other half of track 15, 1 percent of getting special store credits and a 0.2% chance of getting the End Credits. If you get something you already own, you get half a cent back. You have no real way of buying exactly what you want because you can only do so with the special store credits which you barely have any of.

3 hours ago, Woj said:

They're worse... You buy a CD for $20 with twenty tracks, but you don't get the end credits. That'll be $1 extra. Track 5 doesn't include the trumpet overlay, another $1. Track 15 ends halfway through, you guessed it, another $1. When it's all said and done, you pay another $20 to unlock all the bonus content the CD did not include up front. 

No that is what they did in the past. Nowadays for those extra's you have to buy a blind CD with some random tracks on it and hope those ones you are still missing are on there. This is seen as gambling, which children have access to. Since it is Star Wars, gamble associations across Europe finally took notice of it and we will see what the future holds.

About the 300 million dollars: It is Star Wars.. it sells :-)