What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Finished chapter 6 of Celeste! Holy hell that was the best - and toughest - boss battle yet. And the music for the battle was amazing.

The story is heading in a fantastic direction too.

Looks like 2D sidescroller from the SNES era .You really need to unwrap you PS4

Gravity Rush 2 has quite the learning curve. Took me a whole night to get used to moving around.. but the mechanics reminds me a bit of Attack on Titan I played last summer

It's a completely HD game with purposely retro pixel art for the main gameplay, but it uses HD effects that never would have been possible in the SNES era.  It's a fantastic game, don't let the screenshots direct your opinion, watch a youtube video, like IGN's 10 out of 10 review:

The story deals with overcoming depression, anxiety, and panic attacks, you might actually enjoy it a lot.

On 30/01/2011 at 9:33 AM, Quintus said:

Apparently the latest PSN firmware is banning the hackers.

Anyway, this weekend I restarted Batman: AA. Still a freakin' classy piece of gaming arse.

"Barman: Alcoholics Anonymous"?

What kind of video game is that?

Those games are so great.  Even loved Arkham Origins, which fans seem to be more divided on.  Someday, when I upgrade beyond a PS3, I look forward to Arkham Knight.

The open world aspect of the later games is possibly the best iteration of that model.  The combat also improved as games went along.  As far as mood/feel, the original is the best though.  One of the few games I've ever bothered to a) replay and b) 100%.

31 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Those games are so great.  Even loved Arkham Origins, which fans seem to be more divided on.  

Unfortunately it was derided for being rushed out with too many bugs intact (the fault of Warner), but the core game itself, there was nothing wrong with it. I played it on PC a year after release, and I never encountered a single issue by then. In fact I absolutely loved it and preferred it even over Arkham City. But Origins' reputation never recovered from the bad press at release. The game was also the victim of belittling fanboy crap about it not being developed by Rocksteady, which was another factor in its perceived lack of approval (I believe it sold well regardless).  

I really enjoyed the snowy, Christmassy feel of Origins, as well.  Great atmosphere and a good in-world explanation for why the streets were empty of pedestrians before the section of Gotham was walled off in Arkham City.

So I have some dough left on a PSN gift card...as someone who owns and loves Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, A Hat in Time, Rayman Legends and Sonic Mania, what else can be recommended to me for the PS4?

For the record, I've been pretty naive to the modern gaming world. I got the new console last Christmas and until then had no idea what was out there. 

I beat Celeste last night!  Well, by that I mean I finished the main story and the credits rolled; There's post-game content.  I started that and could not even figure out how to get past the first minute of.  I'll go back to it later.  

Instead I returned to Chapter 1 and hoooooooooo boy with all the skills you learn while playing through the game, Chapter 1 is like a joke when you return to it!  I lowered my previous clear time of 40sometihng minutes down to 13 minutes, then 6 minutes, and I could easily beat that if I tried.  Somehow, surprisingly, I was only able to find 19 of the 20 strawberries in chapter 1, and have no idea where the B-Side cassette tape is, either.  On my very first run throughs of Chapters 2 and 3, I found their cassette tapes!  Didn't find any others though.

The game. overall, is very good.  It's TOUGH, but its FAIR.  I don't know if I'll eve collect all the strawberries, beat all the B Sides, beat all the C Sides, etc. But just beating the main story without using Assist Mode once is an accomplishment to me.

I love how they used the Mario methodology of introducing you to a new element/mechanic, slowly increasing the difficulty of things you have to do with it, then putting the hardest things you have to do with it to end the level.

Great game, and GREAT GREAT GREAT score.  The best score of 2018!

Gravity rush 2 is awsome but the controls are frustrating. Your flying around with no gravity facing every direction and  sometime upside down with poor control over the camera and  you can't lock on to enemies so half the time your just disoriented

Knack and RIME are  free for PSplus this month. I'll download both of them

Well, the Switch seems to be the console of choice for 2D side scrolling RPG's . Which is good because it won't drag down the potential of my open world games like the VITA did (all JRPG's that have both a VITA and  PS4 release have very inferior graphics because they build the game to accommodate the inferior Vita console then add a few enhancements for the PS4)

this seems pretty typical of what I've seen announced for the Switch

Apart from the occasional Nintendo exclusive like Xenoblade Chronicles and Zelda, I don't see many current gen games being adapted  for the Switch. They didn't even bother with Monster Hunter World .

The base Xbox and PS4 systems struggle to run that game smoothly so there was absolutely no chance the Switch could ever handle it, not without them stripping it down first. Also, doesn't Nintendo still have major issues with its online infrastructure? 

Finally found the 20th Strawberry in Chapter 1 of Celeste!  Man, it was hidden in a really clever place and I thought for sure when I popped down there I'd find the b-side cassette, but no it was just a strawberry room.  I still have no idea where the b-sides cassette is!  Which is so weird that I've explored the shit out of the chapter and can't find it, yet I found the chapter 2 and 3 ones on my first playthrough each time.  Weird.

I also found a puzzle I can't figure out with some birds and an antennae dish, but there was 5 birds even though the computer was blinking six times, so maybe there's a missing bird hidden where the b-side tape is or something....

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

The base Xbox and PS4 systems struggle to run that game smoothly so there was absolutely no chance the Switch could ever handle it, not without them stripping it down first. Also, doesn't Nintendo still have major issues with its online infrastructure? 

Nintendo still doesn’t even have an online infrastructure. It’s being launched Setember of this year. 

so kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out this year.

I played allthe previous games (except 2.8 remastered or whatenver) and I still don't understand anything about the story

Looked too much like a passport picture

This one is TESB . I'm trying to adjust the contrast because most screenshots are too dark for a small avatar .Can;t find too many  with a light background

i think i like that one

I got halfway through the first one in college, but I couldn't be bothered with the RPG elements.  I went in hoping for Zelda with Disney characters, and instead it was Final Fantasy with Disney characters, which probably excites other people a lot more than me.

Might as well have been Bubsy with Disney and Final Fantasy characters. ;)

Even as an 11 year old who was one stop away from being a Nightmare Before Christmas Hot Topic slave, I thought Kingdom Hearts was one of the most tedious games I ever played. Apparently the sequel's better, though. 

Does anyone else get a weird vibe from that trailer? It's hard for me to reconcile enigmatic drama with some goofy-ass Monsters Inc looking kiddo....like they wrote the script and the developers said, "Sure, screw it, let's have them do this scene when our main character looks like Pixar fan art."

Like I said I played them but the story line  is an incoherent mess  and impossible to understand (especially if you play all the sequels and prequels  in between the main games). I tried reading the lore online but everyone has his own interpretation of it. And I preferred the interactions with the Final Fantasy characters than the Disney ones.

the gameplay is fun though, so an updated PS4 game should be cool

You'd think since they were combining their RPG elements and characters with a kid-centric franchise like Disney animated characters, they'd make the story easy to follow; How odd that they made it so complicated.  Maybe KH3 will fix things, story wise.

I highly doubt  they will make it easier to understand since they introduced so many confusing elements in the previous games .Maybe if you spend a month studying it you can make sense of it and write a thesis on the story

Even Final Fantasy 13 was easier to understand (remember those codex entries with L'cies,fal cies, pulse crystals  and whatever)

I had a few other JRPG's that had complex lore and you had to dig online , but those were fun as you discovered elements you didn't catch before.

Only the first game is easier to follow......it's all downhill from there

They'd have to do a looot of recap. They've been trying to stoke the Kingdom Hearts fire for years to keep my generation's interest afloat, with all of those HD 5.1 Final Recut Pro Deluxe releases, but I honestly don't know if that's enough to bridge over a decade of unresolved whack-ass plot, as king mark said. Imagine parents buying their kids this game thinking it'll be a cute little Disney romp!

Maybe if you play them on the bus or something

I played Grand Kingdom and it had "great reviews" and wasted 3 weeks I could have been playing something better .Looks exactly like Octopath Traveller

King Mark I don't know why you are so judgemental about others who don't happen to play the same games you do.  Can't you be more friendly and not judge others for liking something different than you like?  When I see people discussing a game I don't want to play, I don't interupt the discussion to tell them they shouldn't be playing it, I just ignore it and post something about something I have played

The reason is that when *I* play a game with outdated graphics or systems (fixed camera, random battles with no onscreen enemies, 2D sidescrolling).... I consider them major flaws or lazy design and  it makes me mad they couldn't make it better. I'm just expressing that in my opinion and trying to stir you into something better. I still don't understand why you haven't played anything on the PS4

I'm not saying some of the Niche games I play are any better, some of them are terrible

Don't take  it as personal attack,  it's just my views on gaming and what I expect from a game in 2018. I makes me sad , as a passionate and hardcore RPG fan, to see others choose the "wrong" games when there's so many better options right  now

Newer games aren't necessarily "better". Everyone has a style of gaming they prefer, or maybe they're more versatile gamers than you. 2D sidescrollers are still a valid option, especially if they're well designed and programmed.