What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

That sounds about right. Maybe 15-20 for me. I played it for a few hours each night and beat it in a week. I did a lot of side wandering though, so your mileage may vary if you stick to the main story missions. 

I meant the RPG mechanics. There are skill trees, crafting, upgrading, and collecting resources. Apply that to an action adventure game and you have God Of War. Besides, a typical Far Cry only takes about 40 hours to do most of what’s interesting. 

KM quite likes his games to be cataclysmically drawn out and bloated affairs, filled to the brim with fetch quests and other busy work tropes of the RPG genre. If he doesn't feel physically older after he's finished one of his playthroughs, he's disappointed.

Currently playing Alien: Isolation for the first time...I'm still in that wading part of every horror game where they drop you into the world without having to worry about survival,  but man, they must have paused their copies of Alien hundreds of times making this game...I love the little touches they do to commit to that worn 70s version of the future that has given the movie praise for forty years. 

And call me easily manipulated, but walking around chiarscuro, metallic corridors with adapted elements from Goldsmith's score from the first movie lurching in your ears like a slow, decsending fog...awww baby, that hits the goosebumps spot.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Never got past the first couple of hours of that one. Great concept, poor execution. 

Just got to my first big stealth setpiece (when you get the security tuner), and I'm starting to understand why you didn't finish. Trial and error stealth gameplay, ugh...I like playing stealth games where I don't feel like a fatass kitty cat lumberin' around and that I actually have a chance of succeeding on my first try with quick thinking. To quote Chief Keef, "that's the shit I don't like".

Finished another Persona clone : Akiba's Beat

With all these games set in Tokyo i've been playing ( Digimon Cybersleuth,Persona 5, Blue Reflection, Tokyo Xanadu and Akiba's Beat) I could probably wouldn't need a map if I ever visited there

now I'm starting Hack GU Last Recode. some RPG series from PS2 era remastered for PS4

The Yakuza games supposedly map out Tokyo really well as well (though they call it some made up city in-game IIRC)

• 2 weeks later...

yay they stopped making physical cartridges for the PS VITA

So less chances of good RPG's being developed for it with gimped PS4 versions

now if it could only die

18 minutes ago, King Mark said:

yay they stopped making physical cartridges for the PS VITA

So less chances of good RPG's being developed for it with gimped PS4 versions

now if it could only die

Vita is great as is, and games will still be released digitally. 

• 2 weeks later...

what anither Fallout?

I have to play Fallout 4 soon then. It's been on my backlist for a long time

oh it's going to be an online game...

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

what anither Fallout?

oh it's going to be an online game...

Finally this brutal post apocalyptic dog eat dog survival setting could reach maximum potential.

So the new AC will take place in Greece (Yes! Another childhood dream coming true after Egypt!), you can choose the protagonist's gender, and choose dialogue options. Ubi are jumping into the deep end, but Origins gives me hope they can actually make something good out of it.

Apart from the thoroughly bland lead and the horribly undramatic story (whose idea was it to leave out two of the possibly most interesting and emotional beats - Connor finding out his father is the enemy and Haytham finding out his son is the enemy or even that he has one? - instead both just magically know and don't really care), so basically just gameplay mechanic-wise, that's one of my favourites. Black Flag is a nice pirate game but not a good assassin game, also very messy and unfocused.

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The only Assassin's Creed I've ever given a real try was 3, because I was attracted to the colonial America setting.

That’s a terrible game. Black Flag and Syndicate are the best AC games. 

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

That’s a terrible game. Black Flag and Syndicate are the best AC games. 

I heard last year’s was good?

BTW, I heard an explanation of the new pokyman games on a podcast that described them as “playing Pokémon Go in the world of the Pokémon games” which sounds about as unappealing as it gets.  So much confusion.

I really fancy Origins, but I need to set time aside for it and get myself into "the mode" whenever I'm about to start up a big sprawling game like that. I'm sort of fatigued with AC titles and generally pay no attention to them, but I'll make an exception for this one.

It's actually pretty far from AC in general. It's more of an open world hack-n-slash questing game with many lootable weapons (lots of types, lots of variation) and actual progression with a big skill tree. There's still some sneaky and parkouring elements, but the investigation quests are more pronounced.

Yeah it was the RPG elements and item colour grading for rarity which piqued my interest on this one. I love loot games and farming materials these days.

Origins got a lot of high praise but I only played it for an hour or so before getting distracted by something else. It’s still in my backlog. Apparently Odyssey is taking the RPG elements even further with the like of dialogue options. 

It was the combat that always kept me from getting into AC3. I didn’t grasp it and found myself just hitting buttons.  I don’t really play a lot of modern nontendo games so I often feel left behind by modern game mechanics. 

AC3 just felt clunky; the open world was huge, empty, and tedious to traverse. I recall the opening lasting about 6 hours before the title appears and you even become the main character. It was just a mess. If you like being a pirate and sailing open seas while your crew chants out shanties, Black Flag is the game for you. If you prefer wise-cracking Brits, then Syndicate. The latter games have better parkour and fighting mechanics. 

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

Origins got a lot of high praise but I only played it for an hour or so before getting distracted by something else.

A shooter?

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

A shooter?

Can’t recall. I think I booted it up knowing full well a new game was coming out in the next week or so. And haven’t gone back since. 

I bought Call of Duty WWII just to me play the campaign and pass a lazy weekend. Turns out you can’t do anything with the game without first downloading a 17GB file! What was the point of the disc in the first place? Returned it. Never saw something like that before.

5 hours ago, Bilbo said:

I bought Call of Duty WWII just to me play the campaign and pass a lazy weekend. Turns out you can’t do anything with the game without first downloading a 17GB file! What was the point of the disc in the first place? Returned it. Never saw something like that before.

Take it you haven’t played a game in the past 15 years?

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

Modern gaming unfortunately.

I heard State of Decay just got a patch which was bigger than the original install of the game itself.

State Of Decay needs it. Game was in poor shape when I played it. They must be aware of their shortcomings if they have a menu feature that rewinds the last 2 minutes of gameplay to get you unstuck from the game world. 

Take it you haven’t played a game in the past 15 years?

Yes I have and it’s never been a requirement to download something before I can play something. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I can only aim well with the gyro controls

Me too. Surprising since I get along with conventional aiming mechanics in video game just fine!

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Yes I have and it’s never been a requirement to download something before I can play something. 

Aw man, I remember playing my first PS4 game after work a couple of years ago...it was pretty late, and I thought, well I'll start this game for an hour before I need to go to bed. Pop in the disc, "Installing...2hr35min remaining"...oh, I guess I can't just play a game anymore.

Been playing through Ninja Gaiden on the XBox...anyone here familiar with it? This is one bad, ass game. The combat is so satisfying, and the controls are super-slick. And it has a factor that I think is underrated in games: feeling cool when you do something (I wouldn't necessarily feel cool doing a triple jump in Super Mario, for example). This is a notoriously hard game, but it has one of the most fair feelings of difficulty I've experienced in a game. Almost everytime I die I have the thought, "I could've done this better."

I haven't played the rebooted Ninja Gaiden series, but I loved the original NES trilogy back in the day

23 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

As the industry moves towards digital only, physical discs are merely a medium for a download. You have to download and install the game when you first pop it in anyway, and any available updates will download concurrently. As for Call Of Duty, the updates are only required for network features (i.e. online multiplayer). You could have still played the campaign.

Just seems silly to return a game because of an update. Surprising your country allows such practices anyway, no retailer here accepts opened software for returns unless there's a defect.

54 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

As the industry moves towards digital only, physical discs are merely a medium for a download. You have to download and install the game when you first pop it in anyway, and any available updates will download concurrently. As for Call Of Duty, the updates are only required for network features (i.e. online multiplayer). You could have still played the campaign.

Just seems silly to return a game because of an update. Surprising your country allows such practices anyway, no retailer here accepts opened software for returns unless there's a defect.

No, you couldn’t play the game without downloading the update. You couldn’t get past the screen saying you had to download. 

I bought the game second hand and traded it in in the same shop. There’s a chain of them in this country and they sell second hand games, DVDs, phones etc. and give you cash or credit for trading in your stuff. It’s great

"My electronic game is busted! I put in this here video disc in my game machine and the damn thing says somethin' about an update! I thought you're supposed to play these confounded things, not watch 'em! It's busted, I tell ya! I want my refund immediately!"

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It first happened to me in 2004 with Half-Life 2. The game came on five or so CDs, and it took me two weeks of downloading a bit each night over dial-up (4.0 kbps nights were a treat) before I could play. Then again, that was in the early days of Steam, and you need to get the game fully updated for DRM before you can play in offline mode anyways. 

Even installing BOTW on the Switch wanted an internet connection to update. I don't know if it truly needed it, I mean, is it playable without? I wouldn't care, I have great Wi-Fi now. 

In Bilbo's defense, there were a few times (I think it was on my old roommate's XBox One, can't remember) where I was given that option, but when I selected it, the game refused to load properly and booted me back to the system menu , with a message saying essentially that the game wasn't ready.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

What are you playing on?

A1DC1F66-C120-43DC-BF43-443813CE3E60.jpeg

PS4. 

Is that screenshot of Call of Duty WWII? Because I did not get that screen.