What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

After being able to finally open the massive water gate I then spent about half an hour being stuck driving around in the jeep trying to find the actual route up to it. The map isn't well drawn and it's a bloody huge area to figure out.

Just got past these statues, I think I'm possibly nearing the ending:

5Z8sRmk.jpg

pngjlT0.jpg

It's astonishing to me that only a couple of years ago backgrounds like these were only ever pretty vistas beyond the reach of the player, but now they are a part of the explorable environment and one actually moves towards and eventually through them.

Yeah, it is a much longer game than I expected. For once, the expansion is actually worth its price. The playtime for Uncharted 4 was about 17 hours. This one is around 7 or so.

Karol

I'm absolutely loving it, possibly more than Uncharted 4. I don't care a jot about originality in these sorts of games (it's been years since Tomb Raider was gleefully ripped off, and Indiana Jones before it); what matters to me is panache and execution. The design of this one is sheer class.

Will probably give it a go ... I love the Uncharted games, although I must admit I found Nate and Elena's 'relationship issues' in 4 a bit irritating. We know that her objections aren't going to stop Nate, because if he doesn't carry on there's obviously no more gameplay.   

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

No Nate or Elena here so you're good. 

Karol

Cool!  I might wanna check the game out after all!

Started playing the free-to-play MMO Warframe.  It's pretty awesome so far; like an online co-op Mass Effect with a heavier emphasis on melee combat.  

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

The game is better without that trite nonsense creeping in.

It was supposedly because after The Last Of Us, Naughty Dog wanted to have the 'character stuff' in Uncharted be better. 

Meh ... if it delays me being able to punch out/shoot bad guys, solve ancient puzzles/riddles and risk life and limb in the pursuit of fabled treasures then I'm not bloody interested. 

That said, at least Uncharted's cutscenes are skippable. HATE ones that aren't, particularly when they go on and on and ON ...    

I always watch the cut scenes no matter what game. I consider them an integral part of the game

I did play a few JRPG's that had very long unskippable  cutcenes before a difficult boss battle forcing you to re-watch them if you die. now that's annoying

On 8/28/2017 at 3:27 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

It was supposedly because after The Last Of Us, Naughty Dog wanted to have the 'character stuff' in Uncharted be better. 

Meh ... if it delays me being able to punch out/shoot bad guys, solve ancient puzzles/riddles and risk life and limb in the pursuit of fabled treasures then I'm not bloody interested. 

That said, at least Uncharted's cutscenes are skippable. HATE ones that aren't, particularly when they go on and on and ON ...    

So you're a "fuck off with the actual story and characters and give me action" type of gamer?

I rage quit Last Day on Earth last week. The last update (they're all mandatory) broke the game, IMHO. Took the fun out of playing the game and turned it into a resource farming and house repair grind. 

In general, I don't usually play games that are open ended like that.

That said, I'm a big fan of old school Harvest Moon games (meaning up to the GBA games, before they reached my tipping point for anime bullshit) that you could technically play forever.   So I'm very excited to finally play Stardew Valley when it comes out for Switch.  I could buy it on my PS4 now, but it seems like a game that would be great to have portable.

Apparently soon!

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 was pretty good. Improved on the first one by adding a sort of open world and a city to explore instead of a mission hub. Just like Toukiden 2 did over the original

ok, now i'm gonna play an Alexcremmer game

It's called Yonder, the Cloud Catcher Chronicles. I'm on some sort of island and have to help villagers, no battles in this game .You walk around and solve stuff. it's very pretty and colorful

Not an Alexcremmer game by any stretch, but it still looks really nice. I've grown rather partial to resource farming games since Destiny and No Mans Sky. Stardew Valley is another I want to try. Anything serene and relaxing can be a lovely evening of alternative gaming.

On 31/08/2017 at 8:34 PM, Disco Stu said:

I've only played two so far!  It's a relatively new discovery for me.  Firewatch and Gone Home.  What are your favorites?  

In Dear Esther you literally do nothing else other than walk forward around an island while slowly unwinding a poetic narrative about love, tragedy and loss. It's arty farty and it really resonated with me. It's very well done. 

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is another, absolutely beautiful in its presentation. An evocative English village suddenly and mysteriously abandoned, free to explore for clues as to what happened. More "gameplay" than Dear Esther.

Proteus. Visually basic but still involving and alive with its nature systems, an "every time you play it something different happens" trip around a large procedurally generated expanse where the player triggers little events in order to make other abstract things happen. Easy to spend an hour wondering around experimenting and taking in the pixel art sights.

They're the most recent ones I've played. I'm still waiting for Firewatch to be sub £5 on Steam.

The ornate detail of Lost Legacy is often jaw dropping, it's making my progress through the adventure quite slow as I'm always distracted by the exquisite attention poured into every single element of the frame.

8EFRsc3.jpg

gAHlWTK.jpg

After returning to the surface after a spell of underground puzzling it's always by way of a wonderful visual contrast.

3242Js9.jpg

Action shot!

opLeq7c.jpg

For my money, I just don't think Tomb Raider compares to the wonder and thrill I'm having with this.

Yonder, The Cloud Catcher Chronicles was supposed to be a 5-10 hour game from what I read,  but it's a big open world and lots of exploring,sidequest, fishing, farming,crafting so it's a lot longer if you try to do everything

it's fun even though thare aren't enemies to battle

The Xbox One is going to have a remastered version of the Disneyland game, so I'm already looking into it. Why are there so many versions of this console? I don't know which one to get. Back in my day, there was one version of each console, with some cosmetic variations like the God awful funtastic and Pokeman N64s.

17 minutes ago, Evil-Lyn said:

The Xbox One is going to have a remastered version of the Disneyland game, so I'm already looking into it. Why are there so many versions of this console? I don't know which one to get. Back in my day, there was one version of each console, with some cosmetic variations like the God awful funtastic and Pokeman N64s.

Xbox One S will be the one you'll want to get.  Most basic model.  I looked this game up.  It looks kind of horrendous, why do you like it?

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

@TheGreyPilgrim

When you eventually play this part of the new adventure this underscoring work will blow you away, if the conditions are right. It was a stunning moment as it played out in-game.

Going to hold off on listening until the real thing, then.