What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Well, it's Doom 4 but still. I might give it a go on Don't Hurt Me to build some muscle memory. 

But about once a year, I get the itch to play really old Doom with a mouse and keyboard. The day is drawing nigh. 

@kaseykockroach How far are you into Half Genie Hero this time around? Has your perspective on it changed at all? When I had first played it at release--picked it up day one--I was actually disappointed, but with the attitude of "I'll see how much the DLC adds."  Not much, apparently and unfortunately, so I've relegated it to the "good but on the verge of being amazing" that Risky's Revenge has.

Taking a break for the time being (I try to avoid gaming addiction as much as one is able), but I'm really liking it! It's not as strong and solid as Pirate's Curse, but I didn't need nor expect it to be. Just wanted to see more of these characters and hear more Jake Kaufman music, and that's what I'm getting! And this one is so flipping gorgeous to look at! 

I got so excited when I found Mermaid Dance! Mermaid Shantae is precious. ❤️ 

I'll play the DLC sometime later. 

On 10/5/2018 at 11:49 PM, kaseykockroach said:

Taking a break for the time being (I try to avoid gaming addiction as much as one is able), but I'm really liking it! It's not as strong and solid as Pirate's Curse, but I didn't need nor expect it to be. Just wanted to see more of these characters and hear more Jake Kaufman music, and that's what I'm getting! And this one is so flipping gorgeous to look at! 

I got so excited when I found Mermaid Dance! Mermaid Shantae is precious. ❤️ 

I'll play the DLC sometime later. 

I expected it to be better! Each iteration had been better than the last. The Kickstarter angle really screwed them up I think... they developed the game in chunks 'cause they didn't know how much would actually get funded, so the result is more of "anthology of Shantae and Friend's Adventures", with not anywhere near the thrust, urgency, and payoff Pirate's Curse had. As goofy and silly as Pirate's Curse is, it can be touching and involving in the strangest ways, like a well-made children's film. This extends to the music: 1/2 Genie Hero has great sounding tracks, but they're more one-off groove tunes all the way through, whereas Pirate's Curse had more emotional variety, and moments for Kaufman to really push the narrative and create an emotional weight that, as I said was surprisingly affecting.

And the writing was way flatter to me, did you feel that as well?

Not really. Agreed on all other points though. It feels less like an adventure and more like episodes of a Shantae cartoon, which is inherently less compelling, but still entertaining. 

Keep in mind, I haven't kept up with this series. I played Pirate's Curse, loved it and simply thought "I want to see more of these characters!", and eventually bought Half-Genie Hero for that sake. So I had no expectations or specific wants beyond the delight of seeing more Rottytops. I know little to nothing of this series beyond these entries.

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Not really

What were some of your favorite gags? Maybe a new perspective will help me appreciate it more. I promise I'm not like Mattris where I ask you questions just so I can prove your opinions are factually incorrect (even if they are).

I like the line that you screenshoted,  the blobfish grandma(through screw that little quest--was not a fan of the world stages and how they're implemented, forgot about this), and maybe something at the mermaid factory, it's been a long time.

Squid Baron in general fast became one of my favorite characters in this series. Pretty much everything he says/does in either games made me giggle. Love how his boss fight throws in music from Pirate's Curse just to add to the silliness!

And how the blobfish grandma being uncertain whether or not the fish you brought to her were actually her missing grandchildren. "But, hey, you tried, and that's what matters" and rewards you anyway.

Playing Friends to the End (imported the Ultimate Edition which is all the DLC/side goodies on disc without having to download anything) and OH MY GOSHNESS I GET TO PLAY AS ROTTYTOPS DREAMS DO COME TRUE.

Yea I haven't bough it digitally yet because I want the physical edition too.

I recently played the first and loved it and expect to love the second even more

I'm starting to really get into these Metroidvania games. Which is weird, because I've had no chance to play the games that are this genre's namesake (Metroid and Castlevania)! 
Pray tell, chaps. Would Shovel Knight be up my alley? Or perhaps others? Iconoclasts? 

Either way, Steamworld Dig 2 is FREAKING AWESOME. 

Shovel Knight is supposed to be brilliant but extremely challenging.

The good ones I've played are:

Guacamelee!

Steamworld Dig

Shadow Complex

Dust: An Elysian Tail

I hear Dead Cells is supposed to be terrific, as is Ori and the Blind Forest.

Ori is absolutely fantastic in atmosphere and gameplay, if not a very hardcore Metriodvania. I'm really looking forward to its sequel.

Celeste for brutal platforming and no real combat

Dead Cells for more combat and less exploring, but also procedurally generated levels that are different every single time you play

Super Metroid for one of the best video games ever made

I went back to Guacamelee to finally beat it before I play the sequel that recently came out. I started over on hard. Drinkbox games can be brutal sometimes! I got stuck on Flame Face and gave up. Still need to try and go back. 

I was thinking about picking up Guacemelee since it just came out for Switch.  I looked quickly at the info and it seems it comes with some Switch exclusive features?  Or did they add new features to every version?

18 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I went back to Guacamelee to finally beat it before I play the sequel that recently came out. I started over on hard. Drinkbox games can be brutal sometimes! I got stuck on Flame Face and gave up. Still need to try and go back. 

Doesn't it let you drop it down to normal difficulty?

It does. But I want to beat it on hard 😛

They spoiled me with an earlier boss fight that had a midway checkpoint. This one doesn’t. So I’ll get to a certain stage and get obliterated and have to start over. Could have just been fatigue. It was at the end of a long play session. Sometimes all you need is a break and when you come back you knock it out in one shot. But per usual, I started up another game and never went back. 

21 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Would Shovel Knight be up my alley?

It's got Jake Kaufman!

21 hours ago, Quintus said:

Shovel Knight is supposed to be brilliant but extremely challenging

Honestly, Shovel Knight has one of the best balanced difficulties I've played in a platformer, ever. Difficult enough to keep me engaged, but it also has a really strong flow, and if you're comfortable with your abilities and everything, you can cruise through the levels like a Chinese ice skater...it's very satisfying. 

Just now, Wojism said:

I would rebuy Super Meat Boy if it came to the Switch. 

A classic if you will, but that seemed to really kick off an era of repetitive platformers where the idea is to throw you in a super challenging, reflex-intensive environment where you're almost supposed to die and get immediately thrust back in to do a section over and over rapidly until you get past it.

I'm not a fan of that trend, and I'm also tired of seeing the words "roguelike" and "procedurally generated" pop up on every indie game coming out like they're points of pride.

10 minutes ago, Wojism said:

True, it was kind of annoying. I'd be happy with a Prince of Persia like side scroller with no time limit. 

Throw in that dope-ass sword play and I'm in! I love it when games have strategic swordfighting.

Also, I've discovered how dangerous Picross is....

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

A classic if you will, but that seemed to really kick off an era of repetitive platformers where the idea is to throw you in a super challenging, reflex-intensive environment where you're almost supposed to die and get immediately thrust back in to do a section over and over rapidly until you get past it.

I'm not a fan of that trend

Me neither.  Hence why I wasn't big on Celeste like seemingly everyone on the planet was.

Bored at home with no power, I've beaten both Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 on Switch.  No warps.

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Bored at home with no power, I've beaten both Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 on Switch.  No warps.

Wow, that Switch sure has battery life! 

What else is on your no power docket?

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Wow, that Switch sure has battery life! 

What else is on your no power docket?

I have multiple battery packs for just this situation.

Done a bunch of Picross puzzles.  Otherwise, nothing.  I've also been working hard cleaning up my property from the storm!

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Done a bunch of Picross puzzles. 

Hell yeah! When I was visiting my brother a couple of weeks ago, he turned me on to Mario's Super Picross, and from there...I'm hooked, now. I've been barreling through Picross e8 for the 3DS almost every spare moment I have.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've also been working hard cleaning up my property from the storm!

Ehh, I mean if you got nothin' better to do.

17 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hell yeah! When I was visiting my brother a couple of weeks ago, he turned me on to Mario's Super Picross, and from there...I'm hooked, now. I've been barreling through Picross e8 for the 3DS almost every spare moment I have.

I discovered it in 2012 when I randomly decided to try Mario's Picross on the 3DS Virtual Console and I was similarly hooked.

I've played every puzzle in all the Picross e games, as well as Pokemon Picross, the Twilight Princess Picross, both Picross 3D games, I've even played ROMs of all the Japan-only SNES Picross games.  And of course I'm picking up every Picross S game as they come out on Switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Been catching up with the Atelier series in the past 2 months .Played Atelier Lydie and Suelle and now Atelier Firis

This is actually an hardcore,complex game of crafting gear in a pretty large semi-open world. This RPG series is centered around crafting stuff. There are no shortcuts (like fast travel only very late in the game), every action is drawn out to make you grind for something, and you need online guides to help you figure things out ....and I love it . Atelier Firis far more expansive in scope than the other games of the same series .100 hours in and lots of thing remaining to do

13 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

@Disco Stu To continue our conversation, I really think they should make a competitive picross.

Yes!  At the very least, I would love an asynchronous multiplayer aspect.  Like the ability to challenge a friend to beat your time.

Managed to get the most sort after weapon in Destiny, the Luna's Howl - only obtainable in the brutally tough competitive PvP playlist; it took me roughly six weeks of pretty intense gameplay and determination to finally acquire it.

nP8ZBSY.jpg

It's so notoriously difficult because in the competitive game mode you earn vital rank points whenever you win matches, but you lose them again if you are defeated. Loss steaks are utterly demoralising. As far as I'm aware, no other major PvP shooter has had such a hardcore ranking system since Halo 3, a decade ago. And that game didn't have a pinnacle reward for hitting the high levels. So yeah, I felt bloody chuffed and just enormously relieved when I finally won the gun here.