What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

Indifferent, personally. It’s undoubtedly a great game, but something about Rockstar of late hasn’t been able to grasp me like they used to in the PS2-era. I never have the urge to actually play the game, and I haven’t touched it in about a week.

As far as open worlds go, this is the best that has ever been realized. The depth and immense attention to detail is insanely impressive. The realism of it is a bit much, for my enjoyment, but it all feeds into the mood and tone of the game. Animations, voice acting, environments, etc. all work to achieve a common goal - immersion. However, I prefer a more streamlined, arcadey, experience, and therefore have been playing Black Ops 4 mostly. 

These are just early thoughts that could very well change over time, but I just don’t see myself putting in the hours to see it all through. I felt the same way with GTA V, and abandoned that game very early on. 

Whoever did these re-designs must have taken notes from Don Bluth, apparently! The Sorceress looks like King Gator in drag!
I don't mind, just find it interesting. I'm sure there's some "The original's ruined!" folks out there, but seeking out copies of the original games wasn't a difficult endeavor at all for me.

Smash hit blockbuster release Spider-Man on PS4 is another game which comes with one of those sublime photo modes which one can happily spend hours messing about with:

New York at night:

45917296-2180627155538272-45088240986037

Hanging off the The Chrysler Building overlooking the Hudson River:

46018343-2180632115537776-55233217407232

It's a great one if you can get past the clunkiness and bugginess that comes with it being the first game of the studio.

There was a time around Easter when patches just made everything worse, one corrupted your save and such. If by any chance you're playing on a PS4, find a way to back your saves up! 

But in terms of historical accuracy and RPG experience, it's in my top 5 ever. The world, the quests, the environmental storytelling, or just the normal storytelling... It has a fantastic character arc for a side char and a twist which on its own, out of context would seem cheap and overused but with it everything fell into place and my main problem with the story that far disappeared. Your character is weak, have to baby him around practicing swordfighting for hours until he gets OK at it, gotta sleep enough, eat often but not too much, keep your armor clean and repaired if you want to fare better in dialogues with the upper class... To me, all this micromanagement added to the fun level instead of making it tedious and boring.

And I haven't even looked into the DLCs, adding villagebuilding, a tournament and expanding on said fanfavourite side character.

My only big complaint with it is the ending- this is the first two acts of a planned 3 and it ends with that late Act 2 lethargy, or more precisely just when the main character gets back the drive to finish the story and starts doing it. There is a sequel planned but nobody knows when yet, they're expanding and polishing this one first.

just finishing up random stuff in Fallout 4 .

Found my best weapon yet. A double shot railway rifle. upgraded and with my perks : 500 damage ....one shot Deathclaws and sentry bots

19 hours ago, Holko said:

There was a time around Easter when patches just made everything worse, one corrupted your save and such. If by any chance you're playing on a PS4, find a way to back your saves up! 

26 GB patch! Did they remake the whole game?

I hope it's not the Witcher 3 all over again, where I had to pray my save games wouldn't get corrupted before finishing it

The CryEngine is a clunky and unwieldy one, it stores game files in huge multiGB files - if one single bit is changed from 1 to 0 in one of them, you have to download the whole 4-10GB file again for it.

It took me an extremely long time to pick a lock in this game. I can't do a circle figure with my thumb to move the left  analogue controller. I never could in games that have QTE's like that (Hack GU Last Recode also had a mini game where you had to do that and I failed every single time)

The only way I did it is use 2 fingers to move the left stick

it's a specific movement only in QTE's and only encountered it in 3-4 games so far . And  I have no problems with the locks in Fallout because it's not really a full circle and it's on the right thumb   .But make a full  circular motion with both thumbs at the same time ...I can't

it must be like some people can't roll their tongue or something, or make the spock vulcan greeting

Oh the lock picking with a controller is one of the most often brought up difficulties of KC:D. If it's any consolation, after you reach Lvl. 15 (out of 20) in Lockpicking, it'll be easy as pie! Just try a lot on the practice chest until you level up quite a bit. Or if it really is a physical unability, I think it's technically an optional mechanic. 

you still have to get to level 15

well like I said I managed to finally do it using 2 fingers to move the left stick in a circle...after a few hours of failing the quest where you had to steal the armor (I practiced on the miller chest later)

And all the perks look like garbage in this game. "Run 20% faster but have  20% less Stamina" WTF?

I'm sort of walking around in the wilderness  in Kingdom Come and I don't see any enemies to fight or animals to hunt.. it's a big open world but there's nothing in it

It's supposed to be like that; you're just too used to condensed open world RPGs where there's a settlement and dungeons every 300 yards in every direction. Kingdom Come tries for something a little more realistic (which I hear it greatly succeeds in doing). It's time to unlearn what you have learned...

How's it look and run on PS4 these days? I was put off by performance and polish during the game's launch period.

seems to run fine on the PS4 pro so far

all I've been doing is picking flowers to sell them

and i got the perk to eat spoiled food because food going bad and poisoning you  is the single most annoying thing in this game

10 hours ago, King Mark said:

it's a specific movement only in QTE's and only encountered it in 3-4 games so far . And  I have no problems with the locks in Fallout because it's not really a full circle and it's on the right thumb   .But make a full  circular motion with both thumbs at the same time ...I can't

it must be like some people can't roll their tongue or something, or make the spock vulcan greeting

Oh it’s both sticks simultaneously? You made it seem like it was similar to Fallout picking.

The drinking mini game in Watch Dogs must be impossible for someone like you then 😛

With one stick you rotate the lock, with the other you have to rotate the pick in it so it stays in the same place. On PC you just hold D to rotate the lock.

• 2 weeks later...

I played and finished another "walking simulator" called Firewatch on PC whilst my PS4 is still with Sony for repairs/refurb. It's pretty boring for the first couple of hours actually, but a good little story does eventually develop and an effective suspense mystery unfolds in a way that feels skillfully done and with a surprising degree of emotional impact as the rather poignant credits roll. At only four hours long, this was in the end a worthwhile diversion and it's always nice to play a game which successfully caters itself to grown ups.

TLDEV4G.png

Stu, life is weird sometimes.  Earlier today you mentioned the new Beetle.  I got to lunch, I come back, I sit down at my desk, look out my window, and what do I see?

beetle.jpg

Weird.

Kingdom Come combat is pretty hard

I practiced a ton with Sir Bernard, got my stats up and the best perks and almost got killed by a single bandit that blocked and countered everything I threw at him

On 11/28/2018 at 11:56 AM, Nick Parker said:

Nice! Does it have the whole Streets of Rage trilogy on there? Which Model Genesis does it emulate? Model 1 has the best sound. Also, does it have Thunder Force IV?

This is a collection for modern consoles, btw.  Not separate hardware a la SNES Classic.  Streets of Rages are there.  I don't see Thunder Force IV.

Complete list of titles: Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Alien Soldier, Alien Storm, Altered Beast, Beyond Oasis, Bio-Hazard Battle, Bonanza Bros., Columns, Columns III: Revenge of Columns, Comix Zone, Crack Down, Decap Attack, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Dynamite Headdy, ESWAT: City Under Siege, Fatal Labyrinth, Flicky, Gain Ground, Galaxy Force II, Golden Axe, Golden Axe II, Golden Axe III, Gunstar Heroes, Kid Chameleon, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom, Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium, Ristar, Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi, Shining Force, Shining Force II, Shining in the Darkness, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Space Harrier II, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Streets of Rage 3, Super Thunder Blade, Sword of Vermilion, The Revenge of Shinobi, ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron, ToeJam & Earl, Vectorman, Vectorman 2, Virtua Fighter 2, Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Wonder Boy in Monster World

27 minutes ago, Wojism said:

Why have Sonic 1 and 2, but skip 3 and Knuckles? 

Didn't notice that...yeah, weird they neglect those but include Spinball...maybe there are rights issues with Sonic 3? *enter MJ conspiracy theory*