What is the last video game you played?

Quintus

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

I just got up to the part in The Last of Us where Ellie sings Take On Me on the guitar. Oh god that was super cringe, my wife was sitting here and everything. 

I liked that moment, because it was completely missable and just an optional scene you found for exploring the environment.

Have you managed to stay unspoiled all this time about the game?

Yeah. Well it's an age-old revenge story init. I'm enjoying it so far, especially appreciative of the excellent facial performances, which are even expressive during general gameplay. I'm always on the lookout for the little touches like that. 

I was reading the Eurogamer end of year roundup this morning and one of their writers said Hades was the best written game this year, rivalled only by the character writing in Cyberpunk 2077 (another reason why I'm keen to eventually play it). The Last of Us 2 was not mentioned there. 

Anyone else played Hades? People keep going on about how fantastic it is supposed to be. 

I asked about Hades a page or two ago! No one replied saying they're playing. 

It's probably my next Switch game after Ori

I'm not keen on the genre either, for the most part, but there are exceptions. The Dark Souls games and Bloodborne are essentially based around the same formula, and I believe Hades puts its own spin on the genre by using the player's deaths to develop and advance the story. Apparently this proves irresistible, once it gets going, death as the narrative becomes the whole hook of the gameplay. 

Anyone else like the new-ish trend where the progress you make in free demos get transferred over into the full game if you buy it?  

Dragon Quest Xi on Switch was the first time I heard of this, where that was a 10 hour demo and if you bought the game you didn't have to start all over, it kept your progress from the demo

But I recently started playing Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch, and was surprised to see when I booted it up that a bunch of achievements instantly unlocked before I did anything, and then I saw I had a save file already there!  It was basically my demo save file, even though I had already deleted the demo off my Switch!  I deleted that save file and started over because I wanted to (and many months had passed in between), but it's nice to know it's there if I had wanted it

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

I saw Hades on sale in the eShop last night and clicked on it since y'all were talking about it. The moment I saw those Diablo looking perspectives and everything, "Nope!"

it takes me 1 screenshot to determine if I don't want a game.

-2D sidescrolling (metroidvania or whatever) is automatic NO.(I might make ONE exception for Hollow Knight since I got it for free and it's supposed to be the gold standard for that type of game)

-Isometric perspective 95% no (I played Divinity Original sin 1 and 2 and Diablo3) but normally I find this outdated and I hate not seeing in the distance or being unable to rotate the camera

The Last of Us 2 is a generally compelling playthrough, but it just seems to take absolutely ages to get through one area to the next, and I'm only at maybe chapter 3 or 4. I hear there are 11! I've already been playing for what feels like 10 hours. The long arsed flashback sequences don't help, even though the birthday present day out was rather stunning. But these parts halt progress through the main mission, and I'm already sort of dreading the next one (old memories of LOST). I dunno, 20+ hours of an almost relentless gloomy tone, even with linear gameplay this engrossing, could end up taking its toll.

I like long games

ok so far what i don't like about Jedi Fallen Order

A bit too linear but I'm still early game

Treasure chests have ONLY cosmetic upgrades so it's a complete waste of time finding them

Also most other stuff you find during exploration is lore bits that do  nothing to improve your character

The skill tree was locked for a long time at the beginning and I thought it was a bug or I couldn't find the menu to access it.

good:

The puzzles and platforming sets it apart from other Dark Souls clones

There are stim chests (basically potion expansions)

Actually those lore bits give you more exp IIRC.

You access the skill tree at the save points IIRC.

yeah the stim chest are different color though .The "normal chests" are uselsess

What I meant about the skill tree is that most of it was greyed out on the first 3 planets after I had purchased all the initial skills. Seemed like  a long time to get access to more  and I thought I missed something to activate it, like maybe some hidden item

And for the lore it's the same as killing a few extra enemies

16 hours ago, Quintus said:

The Last of Us 2 is a generally compelling playthrough, but it just seems to take absolutely ages to get through one area to the next, and I'm only at maybe chapter 3 or 4. I hear there are 11! I've already been playing for what feels like 10 hours. The long arsed flashback sequences don't help, even though the birthday present day out was rather stunning. But these parts halt progress through the main mission, and I'm already sort of dreading the next one (old memories of LOST). I dunno, 20+ hours of an almost relentless gloomy tone, even with linear gameplay this engrossing, could end up taking its toll.

It has some serious pacing issues, but otherwise some great set pieces and gameplay. I don’t remember there being specific chapter markers outside of the Day title cards. So are you on Day 3? My final playtime was about 26 hours. 

I've taken control of the other side now, whatever day that is. Am I past the halfway point? The story is very interesting, so that's what's pushing me onwards. SOMA was the last game I played with an unfolding narrative that was this riveting, and these days it's the one thing guaranteed to make me stick a game to its end. 

There is one glaring annoyance I have with this game (and its prequel): the endless looting. Having to strafe and pan the camera near and around every single nook and cranny for critical supplies becomes such a tedious exercise, and I think the design, the omnipresent preoccupation of it, directly fights against the flow of dramatic events as they unfold. At its least it feels like cumbersome busy work/scavenging, but at its worst it is intrusive: having some major shit go down but also worrying I'm going to miss materials to make arrows if I rush off too quickly, is very immersion breaking. There's an awkward dissonance that occurs when the player's priories are torn between realistic dramatic behaviour and making sure they've got enough gaffa tape. It bugs me no end, so today I'm going to see how far I can get without searching every single shelf and desk drawer that faintly glimmers only when I'm right on top of it (<---part of the issue). 

If they ever make a third game, I'd like to see a different approach to survival stocks. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

There's an awkward dissonance that occurs when the player's priories are torn between realistic dramatic behaviour and making sure they've got enough gaffa tape.

Crap like this is one of my greatest pet peeves in "modern" gaming, when games trip over themselves because they can't get out of the way of their own mechanics. That's one of the reasons I love Suda51 games: they'll streamline or expand the mechanics and structure of the game at various points to accommodate and enhance the narrative--having you play through something that in most any other game would be a cutscene to really make you as the player bear the weight of what's happening (and sometimes the reverse), or shift/eliminate certain "standbys" already established such as enemies, inventory, and basic objectives...just to name a couple vague examples.

Not only does it support the literal narrative, but as a player it's very dynamic and you're always excited to see what the game is gonna do next.

Are you playing TLOU2 on one of the higher difficulty settings?  Because when I played TLOU1, I played on normal difficulty, and not once did I feel like I had to explore every nook and cranny for materials; I simply did a cursory examination of every room every place I went, grabbed what I found and that was that.  I think my final completion percentage was somewhere around 50%, yet I easily beat the game.

I play these ND games on hard because they're otherwise far too easy and bereft of gameplay tension on the default normal setting (I tried it). I also never use the wall hack button ('Listen mode'), and I was mildly annoyed to learn that unlike in the first game one cannot disable the function entirely in the settings - probably because this time they have actually gone as far as to work wall hack upgrades into the skill trees. That was disappointing - having no choice but to waste precious upgrade pills on literally useless Listen skills just to be able to unlock the perks that are tied up higher than them in the same skill tree.

Rule of thumb with ND stuff is Hard mode is comparable to Normal mode in other games. So anyone playing on normal is essentially walking it on easy mode. That holds no interest for me personally, as much of my final enjoyment and judgement of a gaming experience is directly tied to the sense of overarching suspense and achievement I feel after it is complete. To me, this approach is particularly pertinent to an apocalyptic survival adventure such as The Last of Us. 

Anyway, even Hard mode gets a lot easier after some initial progress is made. This morning I've decided to rush through areas a little bit quicker than I have been, and I'm still managing to have the materials I need. It's just that background concern of missing a rare weapon holster, or a skill tree magazine! 

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Crap like this is one of my greatest pet peeves in "modern" gaming, when games trip over themselves because they can't get out of the way of their own mechanics. That's one of the reasons I love Suda51 games: they'll streamline or expand the mechanics and structure of the game at various points to accommodate and enhance the narrative--having you play through something that in most any other game would be a cutscene to really make you as the player bear the weight of what's happening (and sometimes the reverse), or shift/eliminate certain "standbys" already established such as enemies, inventory, and basic objectives...just to name a couple vague examples.

Not only does it support the literal narrative, but as a player it's very dynamic and you're always excited to see what the game is gonna do next.

Yes! With TLOU2, ND hides materials in every corner of the geometry, as if to say, "hey, we spent years drawing all this beautiful detail into the world, so we're gonna be goddamn sure you're gonna look at it. Every last little finally crafted nook and cranny, we want you gawking at it!" Even if it constantly reminds the player they're controlling a mechanical simulation. I dunno, more than anything I just wanna get lost in the world, I guess.

And it is a lavishly detailed world. On display at every turn is an extravagant level of decay unparalleled in end of the world fiction in games. Nuts and bolts absolutely everywhere. 

What does NG stand for in your post here?

I thought maybe New Game but that doesn't make sense.

Are you meaning to say Naughty Dog?

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It has some serious pacing issues,

Holy shit you're not kidding. I've had to make TWO exhausting trips to the aquarium, and just when I finally got there a second time and was gearing up for the big confrontation... the writers had other ideas, and instead decided that a medical supply run was necessary, which just on itself was like carrying the ring into Mordor. And then, when I eventually arrived at my destination, they decided that a trip to the lower floors would also be one final requirement, presumably before I'm permitted to get damn plot back up and running again. Jesus! I think I arrived back at the aquarium like 4-5 hours ago. Or that's what it feels like, it feels like a side quest has taken me all day of my play time. 

There is a LOT of padding here. 

On 12/30/2020 at 8:59 AM, Quintus said:

I remember pulling my hair out at the part where Ellie arrives at the city and then has this crazy detour around the whole city, looking for gas. It was fucking ridiculous. Brought the entire game to a standstill.

With that said, I was absolutely gutted by the end of the game. So I come out easily forgiving some of the wonky pacing.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Anyway, even Hard mode gets a lot easier after some initial progress is made. This morning I've decided to rush through areas a little bit quicker than I have been, and I'm still managing to have the materials I need. It's just that background concern of missing a rare weapon holster, or a skill tree magazine! 

I learned from the first game that the supply tension is manufactured. The game doesn’t allow you to reach a point where you have zero supplies and have screwed yourself in a major battle like Resident Evil does. The coding will know how low you are on something, so that next time you do open a cabinet or drawer, whatever you need is typically there. 

I know what you're saying but RNG supplies aren't as consistently reliable on higher difficulties. I got caught out by it last night on one difficulty spike ("sniper"): I had nothing to make medi kits with, everything I picked up was the opposite of what I needed, and I had to get through the majority of that section on very low health, it was a pain. In the end I had to change strategy, I just absolutely legged it through the whole area and somehow made it on my second attempt, then I span around at the top and 

Spoiler

flamethrowered the shit out of the pursuing zombies, including the big acid freak. 

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I know what you're saying but RNG supplies aren't as consistently reliable on higher difficulties. I got caught out by it last night on one difficulty spike ("sniper"): I had nothing to make medi kits with, everything I picked up was the opposite of what I needed, and I had to get through the majority of that section on very low health, it was a pain. In the end I had to change strategy, I just absolutely legged it through the whole area and somehow made it on my second attempt, then I span around at the top and 

Hide contents

flamethrowered the shit out of the pursuing zombies, including the big acid freak. 

Well it’s a good thing I’m OCD and search every nook and cranny by default then. ;) 

I’ve lost interest in most of the big holiday releases already. A sort of gaming rut, if you will, happens to me on a occasion, where I just don’t feel like playing anything extensively.

So out of left field I decided to try Final Fantasy XV. It’s free in the PS+ Collection on PS5, and I’ve never played a Final Fantasy game before. It’s bizarrely engaging, and I’ve been really enjoying my time with it so far. Lacking and dated in many respects, it still satisfies that gaming itch for me. Not sure if I’ll see it through to the end, but at the moment it’s just what I need. 

All through the summer I was "done" with gaming, and I actually believed I might have been, it was probably the nearest thing to an existential crisis I've ever been through! Of all things, State of Decay 2 was what eventually burst the blockage, that game saved my hobby. 

I've decided that apocalyptic fantasies are now my go-to "don't know what else I feel like playing" pastimes. Luckily, even good end of the world games are ten a penny. 

And then tonight I followed up Last of Us 2 with Hellblade. I'm not feeling it at all so far. Probably should have stuck to zombie apocalypses. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

All through the summer I was "done" with gaming, and I actually believed I might have been, it was probably the nearest thing to an existential crisis I've ever been through! Of all things, State of Decay 2 was what eventually burst the blockage, that game saved my hobby. 

I've decided that apocalyptic fantasies are now my go-to "don't know what else I feel like playing" pastimes. Luckily, even good end of the world games are ten a penny. 

And then tonight I followed up Last of Us 2 with Hellblade. I'm not feeling it at all so far. Probably should have stuck to zombie apocalypses. 

Play Dying Light and Dead Island

Already have, loved them. 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I loved Hellblade. Headphones are a must for the full effect of the 3D audio. 

On PC I tend to wear headphones all the time. Does Hellblade get good a little further into it, or did you just love it from the beginning? The constant voices gets a bit irritating, no? 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

On PC I tend to wear headphones all the time. Does Hellblade get good a little further into it, or did you just love it from the beginning? The constant voices gets a bit irritating, no? 

It’s not a long game. Maybe 5-6 hours. Once you fight the first boss and get deeper into the world, maybe an hour or so in, is when it really clicked with me.

The art direction and world design is awesome, and I really love the music too. 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:28 PM, Quintus said:

Ouch. 

But then, why did you pay full price for it when you were in no rush to play it? 

I didn't it was 50% off or something when I bought it but still