GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

There's a point when, as it keeps on using the same tricks, a show can turn into a parody of itself. And there are times in the last two seasons of GOT where it (almost) feels like that.

I don't really see that, particularly in the matter of character deaths. (There may be some other issues, such as Ramsay Bolton's apparent effortless invincibility, which are tending in the direction of self-parody.) The body count in Game of Thrones has been constantly high from the outset, and it would be weird if it were to decrease over time while the stakes increase. I don't think this a case of repeatedly using a "trick" when we're talking about supporting or background characters. The significant deaths of the last two seasons (Joffrey, Oberyn, Ygritte, Shae, Tywin, Shireen, Stannis) are all different in their effect and narrative function. The big, celebrated shock deaths from the earlier seasons (Ned's beheading and the Red Wedding) are the only ones that I think could be called "tricks" - largely the audience tricking itself by assuming that the story would play out in a particular conventional way - and there haven't been any recent twists of the same type (unless Jon's assassination turns out to be a genuine removal of his character from the story rather than a transformative event as most of us expect). The stand-out shocking development of Season 5 was the slaughter at Hardhome, which was unlike anything seen in earlier seasons.

But now that we're getting closer to the end, hopefully, the storylines will be more focused...

I was hoping that the storylines would be getting more focused by the end of Season 5, but at the moment it seems that there's more divergence than convergence going on! By my count, there are about eleven different theatres of activity going into Season 6...

10 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

And when it needs a Deus Ex Machina like the dragon appearing in the arena at the end of season 5, you know your story is in trouble.

This is representative of one of the major problems of Season 5 in my view. In every single storyline, something is fudged. "Drogon to the rescue!" is the major fudge of Daenerys's storyline. It doesn't indicate trouble for the long-term story, because the dragon also appears at the arena in the book in a non-deus ex machina manner which leads to the same ultimate outcome. The worrying aspect about the TV adaptation is the rather clumsy simplification of a complex scenario, which then leads to the cringe-worthy dragon rescue.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Any news is they have decided to do 7 seasons or 8 though? You reckon they should have decided that by now?

It's confirmed that 2017 won't be the final year, and the indications are that 2018 probably will. A more important question is how much screen time is left, and I don't think that we have any information on that. People seem to assume that it will automatically be a further two seasons of ten episodes each, but I don't see why that should be taken for granted.

To me, the main attractions of Game of Thrones always were two things: excellent production values and dense believable world. Everything else is somewhat secondary. I can't imagine a satisfying ending to it all. 

Karol - who thought season four was the weakest one

Well, stuff like Shireen's death or Myrcella's death are perfect examples of what I'm talking about: these are deaths that are supposed to be shocking, but that you end up expecting because of how things went in previous seasons.

But knowing that things are likely to turn bad doesn't necessitate "shrugging in response" (as the article put it) when they do.

To take the two examples you gave, the death of Shireen isn't something that was conjured up for cheap shock value in Season 5. It has been foreshadowed in Stannis's storyline since he was introduced, and explicitly brought to the audience's attention in Season 4. Maybe there are some people who watched the scene thinking "Meh...I knew that was going to happen anyway", but that wasn't the general audience reaction from what I can tell, or my own.

In the case of Myrcella, yeah, the death scene did feel somewhat cheesy in having a happy family moment interrupted by sudden death, but (with all due respect to the late princess) it doesn't feel particularly significant since Myrcella barely even counts as a supporting character. She was really just a name that featured in Cersei and Jaime's background and, for that reason, I don't think her death was intended to be especially shocking; I presume that it's meant to have political and/or personal ramifications in Season 6. Thinking "Meh...I knew that was going to happen anyway" is more of a sign that she was an unimportant character than of jadedness caused by too much death.

You know at some point, things will turn bad (or even worse than they already are) because they always do in the show.

Easily claimed in retrospect! Perhaps in a parallel universe your post is citing Bronn and Jorah Mormont as characters whose deaths were predictable, while making no mention of the spectacular last minute rescue of Shireen or the antidote fortuitously discovered in Myrcella's cabin!

These kinds of articles are funny.  One of the best things the show did was age up the child characters.  Especially since the actors they found are all great!  Especially Arya and Joffrey

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There's no way they could have done the show with actors of the age in the books. 

The sex and violence would be even more uncomfortable too watch.

Yup.  Plus the regulations of using actors under a certain age would have meant it would take forever to film each episode.  They were smart to age them up for a ton of reasons.

Essentially. Pedophilia, child soldiers, unspeakable violence against underaged etc....

Though historically speaking this is probably all rather accurate. And still commonplace in many parts of the world 

Another reason why they aged up the cast is probably to be able to make the show at all.

I doubt even HBO could sell a show which featured an 11 year old being married off to a war lord and raped on her wedding night. 

On 29.1.2016 at 2:42 AM, Demodex said:

The books are awesome, except for maybe half of book 5. 

Books 4 and 5 have both some aimless meandering and sidestories that lead nowhere. I am more than interested to see what mammoth size book 6 and 7 will be to tie everything more or less together and show us how most character arcs and storylines bear fruit.

• 2 weeks later...

First pics of Season 6:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153483412757734.1073741880.74133697733

Wow - Bran has AGED!  Bloody hell!

Von Sydow looks great.  Glad that dude's still working

Balon Greyjoy!!

I was surprised to see Walder Frey and Balon Greyjoy in those pics!

I think this season will move the pace of the storyline along much more than Season 5 did.

The way I understand it all the actors are locked in for 7 seasons total and anything beyond that would require intense / expensive re-negotiations.