GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

That much is certain!

But are we talking about the novels or the films/TV series here? Or both?

I compare the tone of the Fantasy films with the tone of the Fantasy series. Once again, TV wins!

x240-tr7.jpg

Heck, if this was the first pic of Legend 2, then I would be game for it. (yes, pun intended)

5 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I compare the tone of the Fantasy films with the tone of the Fantasy series. Once again, TV wins!

x240-tr7.jpg

Heck, if this was the first pic of Legend 2, then I would be game for it. (yes, pun intended)

You should also compare the tone of the original novels. World aparts even if they contains some common elements.

Martin's characters are of course more complex and have all the shades of grey whereas Tolkien's characters behave much more like those of legends and myths functioning almost like archetypes and not as extremely deep character potraits of character development. Frodo, Sam and Gollum are perhaps the ones who go through the biggest change in the end.

Martin's books in turn are mostly about character development inside the world building which is further enhanced by the technique of dedicating each chapter to the point of view of a single character.

The book is the book, the film is the film. I judge The Shining based on the film, not the book. Same for LOTR/Hobbit/GOT.

Many (perhaps as much as millions) adore the LOTR movies without having read the books. If they are allowed to love then I should be allowed to do the opposite!

Do not mention The Hobbit films in the same breath Alex. Please.

The LotR films are quite faithful to the tone of the novel as is GoT to its original material. I like both for quite the different reasons. I would prefer less blood and boobs in GoT though. Far too gratuitous at this point. Martin likes gritty and dark but the showrunners have gone beyond at points. Not all of them but there are those HBO titillations sprinkled around the series with liberal hand. But the story itself is solid.

We wanna be like Peter Pan
We don't wanna grow up
Wanna stay kids as long as we can
That's our plan ! Pretty neat plan
Then when it's time to be a man
We're not gonna grow up
Gonna stay kids like we began
Just like Peter Pan

Bein' a man means you gotta show up
For work each day in a shirt and a tie ! Yuck
Bein'a man means you gotta call up
Your friends and say, "Can't stay ! Gotta fly !" Yuck

We got an even neater plan
Sit down and listen up
We all oughta be like Peter Pan
We don't wanna grow up

We never, never, never, never
Never, never, never, never
Ever wanna grow up ! Yuck

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The fight scene with the three girls in episode 6 of S5 (Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken) ... You can clearly see that the director of this episode isn't good at physical/choreography/action scenes. How clumsy it was!

In-freaking-deed. The Sand Snakes were the most underwhelming addition to the cast.

I thought Episode 7 (S5: The Gift) was completely satisfying. This time there were no characters telling us old stories. No, the story and events were completely unfolding before our very eyes. The scene between Cersei (with that irritating grin of hers) and the High Sparrow (wonderfully played by Jonathan Pryce) was pure gold. Oh, and who didn't love: "I am the gift." 

Noticia-3039-game-of-thrones-the-gift.jp

Alex

Pryce is awesome in GoT! They have managed to hook a brilliant line-up of both up-and-coming and veteran thespians to the show.

I still miss Charles Dance! Why did Martin had to do away with Tywin! He was the best of them!

Pryce was one of the best additions to the series in its whole run. Completely nails the character with the nuance it needed.

But yes, Dance will be missed.

1 hour ago, KK. said:

Pryce was one of the best additions to the series in its whole run. Completely nails the character with the nuance it needed.

But yes, Dance will be missed.

They wasted a few talents like Ciaran Hinds in a bit part, which was much more colorful in the book.

S5: Episode 8: Hardhome: Holy! They weren't kidding with the Army Of The Dead! That battle was downright chilling! Why do people still go to the movies? From drama to spectacle, TV covers everything now.

white-walker.jpg

Alex

Yeah that was one of the most spectacular episodes of the series and really gave most fantasy movies run for their money in terms of tone of such an attack by an undead horde. Chilling is the word indeed.

3bde5a65a049879b90385bf52f1dcaea.jpg

Yup. One of the most impressive sequences across both film and television mediums. It's moments like that that make it worth sticking throw the show's faults. And apparently season 6 has an even more large-scale, impressive battle in store!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/22/game-thrones-season-6-battle

I was already impressed with the previous one (The Great Battle At The Wall).

BTW, if I were to direct a remake of A Clockwork Orange, I think I already found my new Alex DeLarge ...

e0Ha8IKC_zpsy7omy6em.png

Alex Kubrick

I don't think that particular plot details are all that important (for instance, there could be a version of the story in which Tyrion dies at the end and another equally good version in which he survives), but I hope that they will stick to the original plan insofar as the fundamentals are concerned.

I particular, I really hope that they don't cop out and make the White Walkers the evil enemy intent on exterminating humanity that most viewers seem to mistake them for.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Just because it would make you look smart? ;)

I just thought that I should flag up the possibility of them doing a more clichéd story in the show so that, if they do, I can say "Well it won't be like that in the books, dammit!" and we won't know whether I'm right for another 4 to 5 years...

The novels have been rather ambiguous about if there is something greater behind the encroachment of the Others but there have been references to what these beings and humans believe to be the Light and the Dark battling one another. Again a very wide and universal myth but since these forces obviously have people and factions doing their bidding (the White Walkers, Melisandre and the Red Priests etc.) it is interesting to see if the confrontation is going to be between these primordial elemental powers in the end and do they manifest in anything other than their representatives. References to magic and the supernatural life behind the scenes of the human civilization have become more frequent with each book although Martin has succeeded keeping it relatively mysterious up to this point. Hopefully if the showrunners know the ending and broad outline of the rest of the story, they can do justice to Martin's final vision and themes.

20 minutes ago, Incanus said:

...there have been references to what these beings and humans believe to be the Light and the Dark battling one another.

I don't think that there have been references to what these beings [the Others] believe (have there?), at least not from anyone authoritative. The belief in forces of Light and Darkness battling one another is mainly a tenet of one of the many religions on display. I don't see much reason to give it a lot of credence.

20 minutes ago, Incanus said:

...these forces obviously have people and factions doing their bidding (the White Walkers, Melisandre and the Red Priests etc.)...

I would say that there are people and factions who think they are doing the bidding of such forces, but it seems a stretch to take it for granted that they actually are.

In regard to the White Walkers, one of the most revealing comments that Martin has made is when he was asked if we will ever learn more about their culture, to which he responded "I don't know if they have a culture". Since "culture" encompasses everything about a society's way of life and beliefs, the fact that White Walkers might not have one (or more) casts a huge amount of doubt on the notion that they are a separate race of beings working towards their own interests. But they clearly are working towards something, so I would suggest that they are simply an instrument being employed by some other person/people.

As to who this person/people (the man behind the curtain) might be...well, this is the mystery, but I feel that the most probable suspects have to be the Children of the Forest and, latterly, the Three-Eyed Crow (and hence, subsequently, Bran!). I think the most likely explanation for the White Walker invasion during the original Long Night is that it was a desperate act by the Children, fabricating an apparently evil force seemingly intent on wiping out humanity, but with the actual intent being to bring them to the negotiating table (probably without realising that the Children had been their antagonists rather than their allies all along).

Well that is an interesting conspiracy theory that last one.

Episode 9 of S5: The Dance Of Dragons. This whole episode was quite meh. The arena duels felt exploitive and the dragon coming to the rescue was predictable. I guess they weren't yet recovered from the previous episode. I do enjoy the real snow that falls on the actors. Quite refreshing after years of seeing fake CGI snow.

Spoiler

Here's hoping they do more with the blind Arya stuff than what George did in the books. One minute she's blind and takes you quite by surprise, but a few chapters later she gets her sight back. 

Just for the record, the final episode of S5 is so fragmentary and without any form of narrative tension, that it's easily one of the worst ever in the history of the series. It's only purpose was to mechanically set up the next season. Booh! The only good thing about it was the Walk Of Shame. Is Cersei a Jesus figure? 

game-of-thrones-season-6-jon-snow-kit-ha

Alex - seriesless until all the episodes of Better Call Saul have aired.

On 3/23/2016 at 5:16 PM, Alexcremers said:

The arena duels felt exploitive and the dragon coming to the rescue was predictable. I guess they weren't yet recovered from the previous episode.

Having the dragon come to the rescue is a very cheesy deviation from George R. R. Martin's version of the story. And, if I remember rightly, the arena sequence was filmed before the Hardhome sequence; I guess they weren't properly warmed up yet!

In reality, I suspect that a large part of the reason for the difference in quality between the two is that Hardhome was directed by Miguel Sapochnik. I'd love to be able to see how thinks would have turned out if Episode 9 had been directed by Sapochnik and Episode 8 by David Nutter rather than vice versa. The Hardhome sequence may still have been the more impressive of the two (due to better conception at the writing stage and more agreeable conditions during filming), but I bet the discrepancy between them would be much less pronounced!

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is Cersei a Jesus figure?

That would make two Jesus figures for Episode 10 - it can't be a coincidence that Jon's "Traitor" denunciation was written on a cross. Perhaps they're a messianic duo: J.C. - Jon / Cersei. Or, better still, Jesus H. Christ - Jon / Hodor / Cersei.

Well observed, Gloin! OTOH, Cersei's unholy smile on her face when she saw her new giant 'champion' already suggests that her revenge on the Sparrows will be more than sweet. 

Alex

On 3/26/2016 at 3:04 PM, Glóin the Dark said:

Another promotional video, with several shots not seen in the trailer:

Fascinating shot of the "Night King" walking towards [edit: or away from?] a wall of fire at 0:21... 

I liked the shot of the dragon's shadow over the village or whatever

I already posted that Alex, just a few posts up on this same page.

On 3/25/2016 at 5:22 PM, Jay said:

New Season 6 pics!

http://www.ew.com/gallery/game-thrones-season-6-photos

Ladies all look good on the magazine covers

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I already posted that Alex, just a few posts up on this same page.

Did I say that you didn't? BTW, clicking on that link doesn't show me that photo at all. Also, how can I comment on that photo without actually showing it?