GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss told Headey before this season that “this was as far as they knew” of Cersei’s story line, “because this was as far as George [R.R. Martin] had written"

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/06/16/game_of_thrones_lena_headey_on_cersei_s_long_humiliating_walk.html

Would the scene have been better if it showed more of the rape?

Jason complained about the increased level of violence on TV a few times lately. I tend to agree with him. And that includes rape.

It's an awful things to see, and I'm not sure it's something that should be shown like it is on GOT for the benefit of our entertainment.

Maybe because there's something more fantastical about be-headings etc then there is about rape. Given the choice I would rather see the first then the latter in fiction. It's easier to distance oneself from the medieval sword and sorcery killings then it is from a sexual assault.

It's hard to explain but the violence even at the level it often is on GOT doesnt really phase me much. But the rape usually leaves me with a bad feeling.

It's hyperbolic irony actually.

But it does prove my point. Neither you or Alvar would have objected if I said i stopped beheading people because it made me feel down.

Thats the difference! Difficult to define as it is.

I really don't understand how that scene is crossing a line when everything else they've shown isn't. Unfortunately, rape happens, and it's not a shock that Ramsey would be a rapist.   I didn't find it shocking or in bad taste. I actually expected that scene to be more brutal. 

Emotionally, I was more disturbed by Stannis having his daughter burned at the stake. 

I didn't quite understand the overblown criticism myself.

Rape was quite common in the culture of that period. And given the character Ramsay, it did seem like a natural thing for him to do. The scene wasn't even depicted with much vulgarity. It was an awful thing to happen to Sansa. But that's life, and even moreso in the world of GoT. Awful things happen. People get raped. It's hardly there for entertainment. It's clearly a part of the story.

If GoT has crossed any lines, it certainly wasn't with that scene.

But its modelled after the Medieval era. As Martin has often said, many of the practises in GoT take inspiration from what was common back then (ex. Cersei's walk of shame).

Even despite that, you've already been through 5 seasons that have established the type of world GoT takes place. With that in mind, why rape is suddenly off-limits makes little sense.

Like I said. I made a rape comment and both Alvar and Jason bashed me for doing so.

Rape might have been par for the course in the middle ages, but today in Western society it's not something that is treated lightly. Thankfully.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Who are on the 7th and 12th posters? Don't recognize them. The 7th looks like it could be Tormund, but I'm not sure.

The 7th is Tormund. The 12th is one of the Sand Snakes. Nymeria Sand.

Yes there is perhaps a mystery here we mortals were never meant to understand. Let's leave it at that.

Oh right I had forgotten all about that!  What happened, the season premiere was on torrent sites a week early or something like that?