GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Well I just finished season 5.

SPOILERS

Overall I thought it was better than season 4, especially the last few episodes. The whole of season 4 was basically Joffrey dying, the trial of Tyrion, and the death of Tywin. At least in season 5 there's more progression, even though the first half of the season still feels like everything was still stuck in the aftermath of the Red Wedding. Stannis' siege was disappointing in how anti-climatic it was, but the good news is that part of the story is now done with. And for the past few seasons I found Jon Snow to be a complete bore and couldn't care less if he was killed, but he grew into his role as Lord Commander pretty damn well this season... so naturally that's when they decide to kill him off eh. Still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why the Night's Watch only did what they did then instead of before.

I wonder who arranged the music for that Rodeo video. Whether deliberately or not, it makes explicit (at 2:43) the connection between the main theme and that derivative of the theme which has been heard on only three occasions in the show so far (at Jon and Ned's parting, at Robb's first victory against the Lannisters, and at Arya and the Hound's departure from the chicken inn).

Here are what seem to be some MAJOR SPOILERS for once...

I think there's a good chance that it will be out by the early part of 2016. Martin must be conscious of the commercial window which opened up at the end of Season 5 and will rapidly begin to shut (for ever!) once Season 6 begins. If he doesn't get it out by that time then an extra few months (or even a year) wouldn't make much difference, in which case he could have gone to all of those conferences he had to cancel after all...

James Faulkner will be awesome in that role I just know it! If you need a mean looking SOB, he is your man! He is great as pope Sextus in The DaVinci's Demons and in many other roles e.g. as Mr. Stapleton in the Jeremy Brett version of the Hound of the Baskervilles and as Herod in I Claudius.

I hope they'll give him a role where he can continue the legacy of eloquence of Al Swearengen from Deadwood.

Something substantial would be nice. I can't think of a character who would fit the bill. Is Jon Connington's role already taken or will that storyline be in the series?

Games of Thrones Season 5 won Four Emmys:

Outstanding Drama Series - beating Better Call Saul Season 1, Downton Abbey Season 5, Homeland Season 4, House of Cards Season 3, Mad Men Season 7B, and Orange Is The New Black Season 3

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series - "Mother's Mercy" won, beating "Do Mail Robots Dream of Electric Sheep?" from The Americans Season 3, "Five-O" from Better Call Saul Season 1, and both "Lost Horizon" and "Person to Person" from Mad Men Season 7B.

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series - David Nutter one for the finale episode "Mother's Mercy", beating "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken" along with "Eldorada" from Boardwalk Empire Season 5, "From A to B and Back Again" from Homeland Season 4, and "Method and Madness" from The Knick Season 1.

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - Peter Dinklage won, beating Jonathan Banks for Better Call Saul Season 1, Jim Carter for Downton Abby Season 5, Alan Cumming for the Good Wife Season 6, Michael Kelly for House of Cards Season 3, Ben Mendelsohn for Bloodline Season 1

And lost One:

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - both Emelia Clark and Lena Headey lost to Uzo Aduba for Orange is the New Black Season 3, also beating Christine Baranski for the Good Wife Season 6, Joanne Froggatt for Downton Abbey Season 5, and Christina Hendricks for Mad Men Season 7B.

100% confirmation on if Jon Snow is dead or not, as well as plot points concerning what some characters get up to that haven't happened in the books yet.

So truly massive spoilers.

I dunno...I don't think we were ever really expected to believe that Jon Snow is [edit: permanently] dead - even George R. R. Martin has practically ridiculed that idea in interviews, before the TV adaptation of that part of the story. I think that the pointlessness (or otherwise) of the ending of the last episode all hinges on what happens next.

20 years ago the not knowing from now till then would have been great but they never stood at chance and it just ends up making the last season finale shocker feel totally impotent and well, pointless.

We never found out who shot JR in advance