GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

If it helps cheer you up, your work is most appreciated Messenger!

I don't need your pity! Get the hell out of here! This thread was a better place when there were just me and myself.

The fella after the female archer looks like John Hurt. That would be awesome! And Arya's older sister whatsherface is blooming, fuck me she's gorgeous.

Lee - practising his eye rolling technique in preparation for yet more cringeworthy sex scenes.

If it helps cheer you up, your work is most appreciated Messenger!

I don't need your pity! Get the hell out of here! This thread was a better place when there were just me and myself.

You never were alone in this thread but the recent participation here is the perfect lead up to the season: The calm before the STORM of SWORDS!

• 2 weeks later...

I've now seen the first 3 episodes. This is a good show

Though it's really a long and detailed political story, isn't it? I mean, it takes place in a fantasy world, but that's like... almost not relevant. You could tell the same story without the fantasy elements as far as I can tell so far. Maybe the fantasy elements become more prevalent as the show/books go on?

It's good, though, for sure!

Though it's really a long and detailed political story, isn't it? I mean, it takes place in a fantasy world, but that's like... almost not relevant. You could tell the same story without the fantasy elements as far as I can tell so far. Maybe the fantasy elements become more prevalent as the show/books go on?

This is precisely what happens. It begins very grounded, more of a struggle for power than it is a fantasy, but as the stories progress the ever-growing supernatural forces intervene into the political storylines.

There's been no bullshit at all that I've seen, so far it's a pretty interesting story.

Basically it all comes down to: Every single character wants to be the king (and thinks they SHOULD be king). But what I don't get is - what is so great about being king? Seems like it wouldn't even be worth it if you got it cause everyone else would want to kill you!

Another question: The show only shows Winterfell, the capital city I forget the name of, and the land across the sea where the white-haired siblings are. Are those the only 3 important areas in the entire world, or are there more places but the show/books just doesn't feature them much?

Also the show hasn't explained the giant wall too much yet, unless I missed something.... do I have this right? Is the wall north of Winterfell (which is basically the north most "important" city of this world"? Why was the wall created, and by whom? Is the idea that everyone living south of the wall is "civilized", and the only people left living north of the wall are these "White Walkers"? Was the wall created to specifically keep them out of civilization or for other reasons? At what point in the show/books will all this be explained?

Also the show didn't establish well for me (or maybe I just missed somethere) where the giant wall is in relation to other areas and exactly what it does. I get that Winterfell is north of the capital city, and I think the wall is supposed to be even more north than that? Why was the wall created, and by whom? Is the idea that everyone living south of the wall is "civilized", and the only people left living north of the wall are these "White Walkers"? At what point in the show/books are their origin explained?

Well, you've watched the opening credits, right? They're specifically designed to show you where everything is in relation to everything else. They even change as the main characters locations change.

But to answer your question, yes, The Wall is north of Winterfell, and was inspired by Hadrian's Wall, with a similar purpose...keep the barbarians (i.e. wildlings) and everything else north of the wall from coming south. :)

As far as I can recall the first 3 episodes feature the same opening credits and show King's Landing, Winterfell, the wall, and whatever the name of the place is with the white-haired siblings (Calista(?) and ?)

I really like the opening credits actually, visuals and music

Well I wouldn't know how anything is spelled, its not like the characters named are written anywhere. Everyone called the girl Khaleesi so I assumed that was her name!

There's a shit-ton of characters on this show, I doubt anyone remembers all their names on one viewing... unless you watch with subtitles on, or read re-caps after each episode, or something... or have read the books, which I obviously haven't

I dunno why you're mad, I thought you'd be happy I finally started the show, you've been begging me to watch it for years!

I think I have a pretty solid understanding of everything going on on the show. I just wanted to make sure the Wall / white walkers business was something that will be explained in the future, and not something I missed or that the show adaptation skipped over

I wouldn't call myself a Star Trek fan, I've only seen 9 of the 11 movies and only seen a portion of the television shows (none of TOS, maybe half of TNG, maybe 2 1/2 seasons of DS9, maybe 1-2 seasons of Voyager, and all of Enterprise).

LOTR is good stuff though, and Martin was CLEARLY heavily inspired by it when writing Song of Ice and Fire. It's the same basic concept - the current narrative is really the ending of a thousand year, detailed back-story.

~~~

Oh! I just remembered something else I wanted to bring up - as of the first 3 episodes, I don't get the accusations of "sexposition" at all! So far all the nudity has been relevant to what's going on, or there are part of world-building, showing what every aspect of this world is like. Either the really gratuitous stuff begins after the first 3 episodes, or the whole "sexposition" thing has been blown way out of proportion imho

So I've heard!

BTW, Peter Dinklage is really good on the show. Part of that is due to the writing - his character is given a hell of a lot of good lines - but he really is truly good, I enjoy all his scenes. Almost like the Maggie Smith (Downton Abbey) of GoT.

Also BTW - the brother and sister

banging each other

Geeeerosssssss!

I think I have a pretty solid understanding of everything going on on the show. I just wanted to make sure the Wall / white walkers business was something that will be explained in the future, and not something I missed or that the show adaptation skipped over

I wouldn't call myself a Star Trek fan, I've only seen 9 of the 11 movies and only seen a portion of the television shows (none of TOS, maybe half of TNG, maybe 2 1/2 seasons of DS9, maybe 1-2 seasons of Voyager, and all of Enterprise).

LOTR is good stuff though, and Martin was CLEARLY heavily inspired by it when writing Song of Ice and Fire. It's the same basic concept - the current narrative is really the ending of a thousand year, detailed back-story.

~~~

Oh! I just remembered something else I wanted to bring up - as of the first 3 episodes, I don't get the accusations of "sexposition" at all! So far all the nudity has been relevant to what's going on, or there are part of world-building, showing what every aspect of this world is like. Either the really gratuitous stuff begins after the first 3 episodes, or the whole "sexposition" thing has been blown way out of proportion imho

Well, it's all relative. Compared to most other shows, particularly genre shows, GOT is pretty sexually graphic (which is a reflection of the novels). On the other hand, compared to Spartacus in that regard GOT is practically Downton Abbey.

I don't find the sex in GOT particularly gratuitous, and agree that it's mostly relevant to what's going on...which is just a reflection of the high quality of writing on the show.

There's been no bullshit at all that I've seen, so far it's a pretty interesting story.

Basically it all comes down to: Every single character wants to be the king (and thinks they SHOULD be king). But what I don't get is - what is so great about being king? Seems like it wouldn't even be worth it if you got it cause everyone else would want to kill you!

Another question: The show only shows Winterfell, the capital city I forget the name of, and the land across the sea where the white-haired siblings are. Are those the only 3 important areas in the entire world, or are there more places but the show/books just doesn't feature them much?

Over the first season there are about seven main locations. You have have seen five so far on the map in the first three episodes. There is also some stuff not shown on the map (travelling, small city, encampment, inn,...).

The opening credits only change according to those main locations.

(In season 2 there are four new main locations added to the map)

Winterfell, King's Landing and the Wall are always shown in the opening credits

Don't worry, by the beginning of S2 you'll be hard pressed to tell all the locations apart.

And yes, Dinklage is brilliant.

Wait until you see Charles Dance as Tywin (for the win)! I am a bit disappointed that the story doesn't revolve around him. ;)

Give it time Messenger, when the flames approach, the heat shall stir the idle ones...

The trailer had some fantastic shots, and not as much sex position as the GoT 2nd season trailer did. Can't wait!

But as you said BB, the music choice for the marketing just sucks...it makes the show seem no better than the Tudors...