GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

Well concerning the the bashing of Djawadi and the score i can only say: You are completely wrong. To hear from a filmmusic fan that themes don't really qualify as themes cause you don't like them is baffling and a bit childish to say the least. The more prominent Thrones themes even have A and B parts.

Funny that you say the third season has the worst music when it is exactly the opposite. You are suprised that the version of the Greyjoy theme used for the beheading was also used for another beheading scene by his sort of "brother". May there be a connection after all? (hint: think about the word beheading)

And you hear Stark music for King's Landing when there still is a Stark in King's Landing with Sansa Stark, suprising again. ;)

I have to say the dragons have been designed beautifully for the series with lovely amount of detail and class and thought put into them. I really liked the way they interacted in the close-ups in episode 7, very convincing in my opinion.

The "themes" barely qualify as themes. And what's worse is that they aren't even scoring their originally designated places/characters accurately. In the last few episodes I heard Greyjoy music for the Starks (Karstark scene) and Stark music for King's Landing.

I do like the treatment of Daenerys' material though. Overall, this season is looking to have the worst music of the three.

Rich in Fish, I think you should use GoT for these composers challenges.

edit: fuck, you already did that. But I can't watch the videos of the participants.

The "themes" barely qualify as themes. And what's worse is that they aren't even scoring their originally designated places/characters accurately. In the last few episodes I heard Greyjoy music for the Starks (Karstark scene) and Stark music for King's Landing.

I do like the treatment of Daenerys' material though. Overall, this season is looking to have the worst music of the three.

Rich in Fish

You do realize that he isn't Finnish Chaac? Would he even get that joke? ;)

Because George R.R. Martin wrote the screenplay this week, and the brilliant Michelle MacLaren directed (she was a popular director on Breaking Bad and did some of their finest episodes, as well as some recent episodes of recent Walking Dead).

She directed next week's episode, too. I assume the production schedule would encourage having directors on board for multiple episodes, given how segregated the production units would be with 13 different storylines running at the same time.

Rich in Fish

You do realize that he isn't Finnish Chaac? Would he even get that joke? ;)

You do realize that KK has "Rich In Fish" as his member title because you once told him what his name meant in Finnish, don't you?

you do realize that it wasn't inky who told him that, and that it was actually you, don't you?

By my befuddlement! You do realize that I don't remember half the smart stuff I say in here let alone the off-hand anecdotes.

Rich in Fish, I think you should use GoT for these composers challenges.

edit: fuck, you already did that. But I can't watch the videos of the participants.

The links on the site are messed up, don't know why. But here's the playlist of all the entries of that challenge:

By my befuddlement! You do realize that I don't remember half the smart stuff I say in here let alone the off-hand anecdotes.

You do realize half the "smart" stuff you say in here aren't worth remembering ;)

:joke:

Episode 8: Solid stuff, catching up on certain characters but focusing mostly on King's Landing. Great performances from all the cast but Melisandre's penchant for magicking naked is getting a bit irritating and is obviously wooing a certain demographic. Funny how season 2 opened with a lot of gratuitous sex and toned it down towards the end but season 3 seems to be doing the opposite.

I still don't think season 3's sexposition is as bad as season 2 was. And I think so far, this season is also much tighter than the last, and more enjoyable to watch.

I still don't think season 3's sexposition is as bad as season 2 was. I think so far, this season is also much tighter than the last, and more enjoyable to watch.

True. I am just rewatching season 2 and there is definitely more embarrasing amount of sexposition there. Season 3 is as you say also more balanced and better paced. This season has also had some of the best character moments in the whole series in my opinion.

I never did :(

All I've posted so far was this

I recently finished season 2 (more detailed thoughts to come later)

I felt Deanerys storyling would have been great if it was presented split up into maybe 4 episodes total. It felt stretched spreading her story out into 8 episodes. I hope she has more to do in Season 3

I was wondering if there was ever going to be a female actress who would openly criticise or comment on the nudity on the show, especially of their own character. Because it seems like prerequisite for nearly every female role in the series is to get naked at some point.

I personally believe it was Esmee Bianco (who plays Ros). I don't think we saw her naked in this season

And looking at what happened to her character, that would make sense. You don't mess with GoT producers!!

Yes, she would make sense the most.

I finally started the new season of Game of Thrones. Immediately I noticed the major budgetary upgrade the production has been given since the previous two seasons. The sets, the superior cgi, the scope; it is now a truly sumptuous production looking fully like a motion picture instead of an overstretched tv series and feeling at last like a grand vision coming together, doing justice to the source. The cinematography has that gorgeous veneer and polish to it now, lit and framed like you would expect to see in a 200 million dollar epic, it's really quite marvellous. All very convincing and at last fittingly authentic.

A very good start.

Note to Jason: as I start to talk about the plot I shall of course take it into the official GoT thread instead and not do it here.

It's the last piece of the production that thankfully largely slips by unnoticed. And lets face it: loads of big budget movies these days sounds just as shit ;)

That's true, but the sort of hike in quality, the visual sheen here wasn't present in the openers or finales of previous seasons. I have a feeling the budget will be spread out generously over this season. According to a friend of mine who is up to date with it, that is the case.

That's true, but the sort of hike in quality, the visual sheen here wasn't present in the openers or finales of previous seasons. I have a feeling the budget will be spread out generously over this season. According to a friend of mine who is up to date with it, that is the case.

It is. The season just looks beautiful and the production design really adds scope to the show.

I think it needed it, too. Perhaps more than any other genre, this sort of project should be aesthetically rich and splendid in all quarters of its production. The previous two seasons looked good and were effective enough, but their tv roots were always very much apparent. Season 3 has really raised the bar for tv production values, by all accounts.

They may not contain fx in every scene, but the first two seasons look better than many a fantasy films out there. Or did they change something about the way it's filmed too? More camera movement? More camera angles/shots per scene? Bigger sets? More unusual perspectives like in Breaking Bad? What?!

They may not contain fx in every scene, but the first two seasons look better than many a fantasy films out there. Or did they change something about the way it's filmed too?

Yes! That's one of the improvements I tried to elaborate on earlier. I don't know if they're using different cameras or what, but there's a visible depth and sheen throughout now which wasn't apparent in previous seasons. And everything looks much more expensive and better lit. Looking at it, I'd say they've at least doubled the budget. You'll eventually see for yourself what I'm getting at.

Currently three episodes in and there's a major sense of direction deficit and a buckling under its own weight issue. A clear central plot line had better develop soon or this season seriously risks being a tangled weed of confused, disjointed scenes; albeit attractively shot ones. Not good.

It's too many characters syndrome. They need more episodes. At the moment it just won't keep still on anyone for longer than five minutes at a time and it's getting a little bit annoying. The last thing any adaptation of a book should feel like is rushed.

Also the "storylines" that go on for a while in drops of five minutes without barely anything happening...

I actually think some aspects of the show would carry more weight if it was told in organized jumps, trying to have these bits the closest together so they don't become stale filler.

I agree. There was a protracted scene in episode 3 last night with Catelyn Stark and her uncle and it was just completely useless. Talk about grinding things to a halt with about the most boring backstory of the show so far. And then there's all the vital minutes wasted on the utterly cringeworthy Michael Bay titillation. Sigh.

I agree. There was a protracted scene in episode 3 last night with Catelyn Stark and her uncle and it was just completely useless. Talk about grinding things to a halt with about the most boring backstory of the show so far. And then there's all the vital minutes wasted on the utterly cringeworthy Michael Bay titillation. Sigh.

I kind of agree on too many characters too little time for development in places in the show. I especially dislike the establishing shots of characters and then you realize it was the whole scene because they felt obliged to show them for 3 seconds in the episode that otherwise dealt mostly with some other part of the cast.

But I really like the King's Landing plot line at the moment as well as Daenerys, whose plot has really built some steam in comparison with the previous season.