GAME OF THRONES

SF1_freeze

As a book reader i don't really agree with your sentiments regarding the "too many characters". I see it more as novelistic television which many people aren't used to yet. Apart from maybe The Wire i don't think it was done on television before.

It's just a new way to tell stories like reading a book. It has to be complex and the complexity may be too much for some people. It just isn't traditional television, it's something much more immersive and deep. You have to fully immerse yourself in this world and characters like when reading a book. You can't watch it while doing other things and expect to follow the storyline.

Still, i think they could improve the episodic structure a bit. Episode 8 for example with five storylines and special focus on three of those worked better than episodes with 7 or more storylines where you may only get a 3 minute scene for some of the characters.

The amount of characters are not the problem per se, but rather the unfocused structure and execution of the season so far. The decidedly 'busy' sense of plotting, the increasingly tangled threads of chracterisation and motivation, are suffocating the narrative too much - due to the execution: which means the script and editing are simply not tight enough for what television requires. It has nothing to do with "not being used to it."

It's still a very watchable show, at least for the time being. Im enjoying it. But the widening of scope might become a serious problem further in.

As a book reader i don't really agree with your sentiments regarding the "too many characters". I see it more as novelistic television which many people aren't used to yet. Apart from maybe The Wire i don't think it was done on television before.

It's just a new way to tell stories like reading a book. It has to be complex and the complexity may be too much for some people. It just isn't traditional television, it's something much more immersive and deep. You have to fully immerse yourself in this world and characters like when reading a book. You can't watch it while doing other things and expect to follow the storyline.

Still, i think they could improve the episodic structure a bit. Episode 8 for example with five storylines and special focus on three of those worked better than episodes with 7 or more storylines where you may only get a 3 minute scene for some of the characters.

Main difference with something like the Wire is that GoT is a novel adaptation and thus more of less tied to a pre-planned plot not conceived in TV format as such even though Martin clearly has a script writer's mentality when it comes to cliff hangers and other dramatic devices found in film and TV. The Wire and other shows naturally do not have that pre-charted path even though it is obvious careful planning with the overall plot arc took place in the series as well from season to season. Quint has a point on the uneveness of the direction and tightness of the show. I am not saying it is a catastrophe but at times some episodes seem to lose focus as a result of loss of narrative focus in the script. It is not a fault of too many characters per se but rather how they are trying to tell all these stories simultaneously but affording each with less time than they deserve or suddenly shifting focus on the "lesser" storylines.

By the virtue of having read the novels I have no problem with following the plots but as Quint said the at times shaky direction and lack of tightness in editing produce uneven results.

Interesting. While the first 2 seasons has CD releases via Varese Sarabande, it appears the Season 3 score will be a digital download via WaterTower Records

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4IFD4I/

Guess they were tired of sharing the profits with another company

Watched episode 4 of Game of Thrones.

Now THAT'S more like it. After a very hectic and structurally messy first three, things are finally settling down and there is at last a couple of engrossing plot lines developing, motivations are becoming clear again and the focus has returned. I'll be very happy if it can maintain the momentum.

I don't envy the writers of this behemoth production one bit.

Wow the 9th episode delivered! Even though I knew the events that would take place having read the novel, the finale of the episode packed a huge emotional wallop.

And who are you, the proud lord said,

that I must bow so low?

Only a cat of a different coat,

that's all the truth I know.

In a coat of gold or a coat of red,

a lion still has claws,

And mine are long and sharp, my lord,

as long and sharp as yours.

And so he spoke, and so he spoke,

that Lord of Castamere,

But now the rains weep o'er his hall,

with no one there to hear.

Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,

and not a soul to hear.

I haven't seen the episode yet, but a few days ago, I stumbled upon a huge spoiler regarding the major event in this episode, even though I try to avoid spoilers as much as I can regarding the series. There was just some fucker who posted a comment below an article on the series where he said what would happen in this episode (without spoiler warning!!). Fuck that fucker! He's a fucking fucktard.

Damn, that would have been so awesome if I had seen this episode without having read that spoiler. FUCK!

You read the internet at your own peril and annoyance BB. But it is really a big bummer if you were spoilerized on the end of this episode.

I remember when I read that part in the book....I could hardly believe what had just happened.

The episode really nailed it by the way. Something happened in all the storylines. It dragged a bit in some parts but the chilling finale makes up for it.

There's only one episode left right?

Just ordered myself a tshirt with this awesome image on the back

fc,550x550,black.jpg

Probably the nerdiest thing I've ever bought LOL

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ig-hateyhate/works/9194359-iron-throne-tour-game-of-thrones-shirt

QUESTION!!!

As of now I have only seen Seasons 1 and 2 and have not yet started Season 3. I obviously recognize most of the names (Night's Watch, Daenerys, The Imp, King Slayer, Ned, Drogo, Arya, The Baratheons).

As for the rest - am I supposed to know who they are at this point in the show?

Red Viper Of Dorne, Tully, and Hodor don't sound familiar to me at all....

I assume Ironborn is a reference to Theon Greyjoy? Or no?

Melisandre sounds familiar, but I can't place it...

Same with The Hound (is that the guy with the burned face?)

The Tyrells are the brother and sister that were married to Renly Baratheon (the girl as far as everyone knew, but he was really gay with the brother) right?

I can't tell what the Aerosmith-looking logo says...

QUESTION!!!

As of now I have only seen Seasons 1 and 2 and have not yet started Season 3. I obviously recognize most of the names (Night's Watch, Daenerys, The Imp, King Slayer, Ned, Drogo, Arya, The Baratheons).

As for the rest - am I supposed to know who they are at this point in the show?

Red Viper Of Dorne, Tully, and Hodor don't sound familiar to me at all....

I assume Ironborn is a reference to Theon Greyjoy? Or no?

Melisandre sounds familiar, but I can't place it...

Same with The Hound (is that the guy with the burned face?)

The Tyrells are the brother and sister that were married to Renly Baratheon (the girl as far as everyone knew, but he was really gay with the brother) right?

I can't tell what the Aerosmith-looking logo says...

Red Viper Of Dorne = no idea. Don't remember that name. That's probably somebody from the later books.

Red Viper of Dorne = Name/nickname for Oberyn Martell, one of the two princes of Dorne (one of the seven kingdoms). His elder brother is Doran, who rules Dorne, but in case you didn't get the hint from his title, Oberyn is the more stealthy one (while his elder suffers from gout). Both go on to play a big role in the upcoming books. You first hear mention of the Martells in Book 3, so I guess we'll see them in Season 4.

Dorne is mentioned several times in the show before season 3 but the Red Viper won't come into play until later in the books (season 5 of the series I should guess). Dornish wine is mentioned several times if I remember correctly and Tyrion at one point decides to send Myrcella (daughter of Cersei and sister of Joffrey) to Dorne to forge an alliance with the Martells in season 2 (and uncovers the queen's secret spy, Grand Maester Pycelle, in the process).

I must admit after watching the excellent episode 4 of season three (book 3?) I was very surprised to see Deus ex machina show up so early on. All very cheap and unsophisticated writing; no less cool ;)

So does this mean we'll get TWO instances of Deus ex, come the climatic final book?

Thanks for the help with the tshirt bands, guys. It's hard somtimes to learn the name of characters, especially when they might only be said once on the show and you never see their names written down and spelled out anywhere. And it's hard to google their names without seeing spoilers of future episodes!

Definitely had no clue that the giant guy that carries Brann around was named Hodor

Glad I was right about Ironborn, the Tyrells, and The Hound, and realized who Melisandre was after I posted.

And yes I do remember John Arryn and his connection to Catelyn's family

I must admit after watching the excellent episode 4 of season three (book 3?) I was very surprised to see Deus ex machina show up so early on. All very cheap and unsophisticated writing; no less cool ;)

So does this mean we'll get TWO instances of Deus ex, come the climatic final book?

Perhaps I am a bit dense when I don't at first hand quite understand what you mean by deus ex machina in this season. What is this saving grace and plot point that bails everybody out of trouble? If there is one then they are going to need a bigger one in the future since the going gets pretty tough for everybody in these novels.

Oh yes that was a nice turn for her wasn't it. After all the trudging along without doing really anything.

And yes very convenient. But those should be expected when Martin is taking some of his lead from Tolkien.

That's a cop out answer Incanus!

Anyway, watched epi 5 last night. Gay sex aaaarggghhhh my eyes! Robb Stark becomes a blithering buffoon, Tywin's awesome tyranny as head of the family and Daenerys, well Daenerys continues to master the art of the increasingly sexy puffed out chest resolve of doom.

Good stuff.

That's a cop out answer Incanus!

Nonsense. Secretly we all would like some convenient turn of events to rescue us from a horrible situation. For once one of Martin's characters got lucky.

well Daenerys continues to master the art of the increasingly sexy puffed out chest resolve of doom.

It's mesmerizing to watch, that's for sure.

well Daenerys continues to master the art of the increasingly sexy puffed out chest resolve of doom.

It's mesmerizing to watch, that's for sure.

That much is certain!

Just heard this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2x38c_g41c

Despite the faults of the score, this sounds great. A bit predictable? Sure, but it's refreshing to hear Djawadi stretch his wings a bit. And I enjoyed how he counterpointed Daenerys' theme with the main theme and its familiar ostinato.

It makes me wonder how epic the finale will be tomorrow.

It is nice to see that people are so into the series and uncynical to have that reaction to the events of the show. Also it is funny that they don't expect a thing even though the show has a precedent of killing off main characters non-chalantly.

After Ned's death I wasn't much surprised by any of the subsequent ones. You can almost tell which ones will fall as they do not play as dirty as the rest of the lot. In the game of thrones you win or you die.

But as I said before the episode 9 finale packs a good emotional punch despite I had read the novel. I love the ominous build-up as the film makers inject the whole Twins sequence with hints of things being not quite right from the start but it is marvellous how the horror explodes so fiercely and brutally in the end. Oh and I missed the Rains of Castamere in either song form or orchestral reading in the final moments. Would have been a brilliant dramatic device.

P.S. Djawadi has done good job with the songs to my surprise. Both Rains of the Castamere and Bear and the Maiden Fair are memorable folksy melodies.

It is nice to see that people are so into the series and uncynical to have that reaction to the events of the show. Also it is funny that they don't expect a thing even though the show has a precedent of killing off main characters non-chalantly.

After Ned's death I wasn't much surprised by any of the subsequent ones. You can almost tell which ones will fall as they do not play as dirty as the rest of the lot. In the game of thrones you win or you die.

Yes, but it still hit me hard when I read the book. I didn't think

that we'd ever lose Catelyn. Or even Robb.

I have to repeat that I became quite wary of such deaths of major characters in the series after the demise of Eddard, which was much more surprising in the novel than in the series. Maybe because Martin led you believe that he was the main protagonist of the whole series.

Robb's death was to me less surprising or shocking as Martin had revealed his cards already so I knew to expect such machinations and betrayal and as we know the honest, noble and good people do not last very long in most of this story so it lessened the impact of his death. He was sort of asking for it really.

Oh and you are correct about the music. Atrociously bland stuff (as usual).

P.S.: On a sidenote, there one's question I'd like to ask you all, by the way: am I the only one who was more shocked by Robb's death than Eddard's? I mean, Eddard's death was more predictable (the guy was already locked up in jail a few episodes before, he was played by Sean Bean (I mean, come on!), the character had not much left to offer...) and had somehow very little impact on the story (yes, it started a war, but what I mean is that it wasn't as much a game changer as the one of his son). On the other hand, there was very little foreboding to Robb's death: the character still had much to do (to try to take Casterly Rock, avenge his father, etc...), nothing in the previous episodes could lead you to believe the character would die... And his death completely changes the political game of the whole war. The North has fallen! So, yeah, in every way, this death had much more impact than Eddard's to me. Anyone else agrees?

When I read the books, Eddard's death was more shocking. I just thought he was the main character of the series, so I didn't think Martin would dare kill him off, but I was taught the lesson that no one was safe in GoT. I can see why it was less shocking in the TV series, because by that time everyone already knew to expect such a twist by the end because that's all everyone talked about.

Robb's death was also very shocking for me. Largely because he still had so much to do! And Catelyn being the mourning mother figure, I thought she still had much to do in terms of character dynamic. So when both of them were brutally slayed like that, it hit me hard. From that point, I couldn't safely support any character in fear that they'll fall to Martin's malice!

An overall amazing episode, even though the last scene could be improved upon, in my not so humble opinion...(Of course, I'm expecting most of you to disagree with me).

Music sucked yes, but what I especially liked about the episode was the very ending. How Catelyn mercilessly kills one of his daughters, and after some silence and standing still, her own throat gets cut. It was terrifying stuff.

Well, fuck!

After managing to avoid spoilers from here, Facebook, other online places, etc.... The Soup of all places just spoiled episode 9 for me. What the fuck?

We'll have to watch season 4 as it airs, sheesh!

That doesn't matter. It still had the same effect for me with the books. As long as it hits you that way :P

In the end only Samwell Tarly survives. Mark my words!

I think Arya, Bran and Rickon will survive. The rest will fall, one by one.