The J.R.R Tolkien Discussion Thread

The film version of the Sil will be the opposite of what they are doing with The Hobbit!

It will be one film, just two hours long, and even though much of the characters and stories are cut it will still feel crammed full and won't make any sense to anyone.

If I am not mistaken the Tokien estate holds the film rights to the Sil, and are probably not planning to hand them over....

Well, as I understand them they have never sold them.

The Sil as a movie won't work. If it has any chance it would have to be a expensive mini-series. And I don't think PJ should touch it. This is all about the Elves, and that is actually not his strongest subject.

An HBO miniseries with each episode being directed by different people would be the best way to do it. Like a Band Of Brothers or The Pacific but in Middle Earth / Arda

But really, Olórin, Gandalf, Mirthrandir is barely mentioned in the Sil...

They could just have him lurking in the background of all the Nienna scenes.

How long can they hold them?

2043 I assume. Unless the copyright term gets extended again in the meantime.

I'm not sure I'd want it approached as a single thing.

You can draw material from it for some beautiful and coherent fantasy/adventure/tragedy/drama films.

As I've said before several times: I want the Sil turned into an Attenborough styled documentaryish series.

If Jackson did The Silmarillion it would be a trilogy, at least at first, until they announced that they intend to extend it by another thirteen movies, mainly to allow adequate breathing room to deal with their Eru vs. Morgoth subplot. And Legolas would be in it.

does the R.R. stand for Ricky Racoon?

Ronald Ruel, But I am sure you already knew that.

no I didn't, nor did I or do I care. I was just making a joke. don't even know what the J or the T stand for.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh by the Valar and Eru no.

Christopher Tolkien and the Tolkien Estate would never allow this. They're already suing Warner, and correctly so, for exceeding the merchandising rights. Something tells me a theme park is out of the question.