Film scores, message boards and the real world...

Kevin

My one idiom is that I feel that talking about film scores in person feels weirder than talking about the internet, even with other film music fans. Granted I've only talked to a handful of people about film music in person, but the feeling I got was an different feeling to me at least. When there was a difference of person in the Skype chat, it was definitely a change because you would have to think on the spot for your reply. It is not like you can think about your response for 30 minutes or 3 hours and post back later. And especially when the people are not generally a film music fan and they talk about a score or a score that you have not heard lately or before ever, it's just rather awkward.

My other idiom is that that the dynamic between people who post on this and various other film music message boards would be totally different in the real life (especially for something like FSM). The people who seem very opinionated would probably be less opinionated in real life. You would be able to gauge people's expressions and the intent in their voice when they talk which is difficult to do online. A friend of mine and I once had a 4 hour conversation over Skype, and it was great to actually talk to him. I sometimes have had the notoriety of my posting style (being short and un-explanatory criticized by people but he said that they were unfounded when he conversed with me. Here, it probably wouldn't be too different.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Listener: Is English your second language? Not to be rude (probably too late) but this post seems like it was put through google translate. I had never gotten that impression from your past posts.

Yes, talking to someone live is very different than sitting in front of a computer screen and typing away. In fact, verbal and written communication is very different in general.

I've met a few fellow-minded film music fans over the years, and while I've had some interesting discussions about our mututal interest, I've been MORE interested and gained MORE from talking about OTHER things with them.

that's true. My first language is French

but English is the language of the Internet and movies

Chrusher told you you have a weird French accent :)

Luke Skywalker has a really thick Spanish accent, almost stereotypically so. Peio speaks English rather beautifully. Hitch has a nice and friendly Cork accent

I personally speak English without any trace of an accent....

Many people tell me I have an Irish-like accent and then a few mentioned that it must be Canadian. Which to me is just bizzare. I have no idea what Canadian accent even sounds like.

Maybe because I mumble a lot. Or maybe because people have little or no idea at all about these things. ;)

Anyway, back to the topic. Yes, I noticed some change when you talk to someone in real life. But then the conversation about soundtracks might the most boring thing ever in these situations. I'd like to talk about something else, honestly.

Karol

Most people here who don't use English as their first language are as much, often better capable of expressing themselves as most native speakers.

Shame on you!

I honestly didn't mean to criticize his ability - I was just curious if he was a non-native speaker. As someone who has been in a foreign country struggling to communicate in a second language, I understand the sensitivity one must have to those who put forth the effort to learn the native language of a community. Also, I'm sure anyone on this board could find much to criticize about my imperfect, American English (probably even within this post). I certainly don't want to attract that criticism.

Unlike many non-English speakers, Listener's country does not immediately indicate his native language (though French would be a good guess). The other possibility is that his English is better than mine and I simply couldn't follow it.

Rereading my post, I can see I didn't phrase my question in the best way. But, honestly, I was just curious about his background.

A lot of you guys probably wouldnt be able to understand my relatively mild* scouse accent.

I talk soundtracks to other people than just on the internet.

*It's not so mild after a few drinks with the lads.

A lot of you guys probably wouldnt be able to understand my relatively mild* scouse accent.

It always amazes me how many accents you have in Britain. I mean, in my own language there are some differences, but not to that extent. Or maybe I wouldn't notice such things.

Karol

Of course I'd understand it, Quint; I've seen Harry Enfield ("calm down, calm down!"), "Boys From The Black Stuff", "Blood Brothers", "GBH", "The Liver Birds", and "Yellow Submrine". :lol:

I've even watched a bit of Brookside!

It always amazes me how many accents you have in Britain. I mean, in my own language there are some differences, but not to that extent. Or maybe I wouldn't notice such things.

Karol

Yeah - and just think of all the other English accents there are outside of Britain - there are numerous accents in America, South Africa, Australia, western Africa, the Caribbean, etc. Only Spanish could rival English with the number of accents and dialects.

Of course I'd understand it, Quint; I've seen Harry Enfield ("calm down, calm down!"), "Boys From The Black Stuff", "Blood Brothers", "GBH", "The Liver Birds", and "Yellow Submrine". :lol:

I've even watched a bit of Brookside!

The brilliantly daft Enfield sketches are legendary and much beloved in L'pool ;)

Honestly though, my accent is closer to Paul McCartney's that those cartoon versions.

Yeah - and just think of all the other English accents there are outside of Britain - there are numerous accents in America, South Africa, Australia, western Africa, the Caribbean, etc. Only Spanish could rival English with the number of accents and dialects.

Sometimes, I can't distinguish between English accents at all :lol:

And then you have the numerous variations of regional slang to contend with. There's so many ways of talking that if I were to say some of the things here you would all think I'm talking shit.

Oh, wait-

I talk to people about film scores all the time and they respond: "Where are the words?"

Women usually ask that (not being sexist, it's the truth!), then usually say "Oh" when you tell them no.

I talk to people about film scores all the time and they respond: "Where are the words?"

Women usually ask that (not being sexist, it's the truth!), then usually say "Oh" when you tell them no.

Not with me they don't. Of course, these things are dependent on timing and situation.

:blink: Do these people turn their ears off when they see movies? Why would they expect words in a film score? Obviously not counting those that actually have words.

:blink: Do these people turn their ears off when they see movies? Why would they expect words in a film score? Obviously not counting those that actually have words.

Maybe the word 'score' threw them off. If you say 'soundtrack' then maybe there will be slightly more recognition.

Yes, the average person does not know the difference between score and soundtrack, or cue/track and song. One of my pet peeves are people referencing cues as songs. Songs requiring singing.

As for speaking face-to-face, I much prefer it over talking on the internet. I'm almost certain a lot of you would probably see me in a different light. ;) I just think it's better to have a continuous conversation with the ability to detect tone and meaning in one's words.

I could type, "Hey Steef, fuck off!" and the meaning could be completely different if I said it.

My brand new iPod classic definitely calls them "songs" and it annoys the piss out of me! Why can't they just use "tracks"? It's an mp3 player - an mp3 could be literally any audio file - why assume it's a song or even music?

Rant over!

@Listener: Is English your second language? Not to be rude (probably too late) but this post seems like it was put through google translate. I had never gotten that impression from your past posts.

No, I just like adding necessary and awkward phrasing. It makes it fun ;) .

My Classic also calls them "songs," but this term does not bother me. "Tracks" seems to be reserved for track numbers, so "title" would make better sense, since that's what MP3Tag calls them. But then again, albums have "titles," artists have "titles" (Sir Elton, Sir Galway, Maestro Williams, etc.), so whatever.

I only have about a dozen "playlists." I browse by albums because it's as close to browsing by the original CD as possible. My collection is also still a work in progress.

There are enough accents within Britain to confuse me. Parts of Scotland have a very thick accent; sometimes harder to understand than watching The Wire.

My accent can wander a little bit between received pronunciation, and a little bit of South London. Depends who I'm with really. It also means I'm far better discussing on boards, because I talk fast, and sometimes my brain can't decide how to say a word and it gets a bit mangled.

There isn't really anyone I discuss music with in person. The most I've had is discussing film scores at work. One colleague 2 or 3 years back was stunned when I put on the I, Robot DVD and revealed the isolated score.... "there's.... music?"